• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA need to get in bed with a sponsor like Red Bull

astomps

Par Member
In my mind, Red Bull would be an ideal company to align with, as they already deal with a lot of alternative sports and have a wide reach across the globe with their brand and events. Red Bull already have an established brand with their motorsports, extreme sports and their support behind stuff like the flight contest. Imagine Red Bull throwing 500k towards a disc golf series with 3-4 events across the world...could be huge and would be pretty low risk. Imagine seeing Paul McBeth on a TV commercial, if only for just for a second or two out of 30. To me it seems like a perfect fit and it could really elevate the professional level of the sport and also grow the sport.

thoughts?

I'm not sure how it needs to be done, but one thing you see missing from disc golf that other smaller sports that went more legit is sponsors that aren't connected to the sport. There needs to be someone that gets involved sponsoring in disc golf, I don't think red bull is the right fit, doesn't seem extreme or active enough. They want big flashy sports. But there's gotta be someone out there.

Red Bull supports professional gaming. Over the past couple of years they have really thrown some serious money at tournaments and individual player sponsorship.

Disc Golf is right up their alley. They LOVE niche sports/games/events.

jagermeister sponsors a lot of music events. some say it goes hand in hand with red bull.

Only problem would be local sponsorships. Around here, SE Iowa, Monster does a lot of sponsoring. That would disappear if another energy drink company got involved.

Only problem would be local sponsorships. Around here, SE Iowa, Monster does a lot of sponsoring. That would disappear if another energy drink company got involved.
Doubtful. The energy drink companies LOVE to compete.

Again, I use e-sports as an example. Both Monster and Red Bull have a relatively huge presence and each sponsors teams/players that compete against one another. They both get great exposure.

red bull is poison

Is there a food or drink sponsor that isn't? Snickers? Budweiser? Pepsi? Monster?

If we split hairs with every single sponsor we'd be left with very few viable options. We will begging Grape Nuts or Evian for sponsorship dollars.

Red Bull, which is just another drink you can put in your body that is bad for you, is one of the few sponsors that does put money into sports. It may not be your cup of tea, but if they want to put 500K behind an event are you going to turn it down?

doesnt mcbeth have a monster clawmark logo dyed on his green gator? not sure if hes sponsored by them, but i would believe it if he was.

the best was in my undergrad when the redbull car would come around and give out cold free ones.

also knew a girl at a different school during my undergrad, who was one that handed them out. she had crates of free redbull. she never had to buy chaser!! haha

DG is not extreme enough for Redbull, IMHO. It would need to be Verizon or AT&T. Maybe a BIG clothing Co.

Budweiser and Wendy's used to be huge disc golf sponsors back before most of youngsters were out of diapers. I think all of you aren't aware/don't remember how huge disc golf was in the late 80s/early 90s. Disc Golf will never be "mainstream" but there was a point when it was on ESPN and Wide World of Sports.

I guess I just don't see why so many people on DGCR want disc golf to be mainstream. The appeal of it is that it is a niche sport.

Again, there were big sponsors "back in the day" as well as tons of players and exposure. If anyone expects disc golf to be the next MLB or NBA, they are dreaming.

im still unsure what this vision of "growing the sport" means.

getting more people to play? cuz right now at the local courses all i see are a bunch of chuckers and having to wait at teepads while not knowing if a random bad throw is going to hit you cuz a lot of new people seem to forget to say fore.

Red Bull has been involved in sponsorship at several events but not at PDGA national level. Seems like we had Woodchuck Hard Cider as a National Tour sponsor for a year or two.

psssssst you know who really should be a major sponsor for disc golf tournaments......

Innova
Discraft
Trilogy
etc etc

outside of a few majors the big 3 really profiteer off of tourneys far more than they support

the big 3 will never be fortune 500 but they could stop making their fortune off of the 500 tourneys held every year

Latest posts