• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2021 Music City Open Sept 23-26

Wish it was 3 MPO and 3 FPO with PP probably beachcombing in Meccaleccahigh Hawaii.

Is there a caddie book anywhere? I couldn't find one.

I played the 2001 Am Worlds in Nashville and am curious how much the courses have changed. I know from last year's coverage that Cedar Hills is largely the same.

Is there a caddie book anywhere? I couldn't find one.

I played the 2001 Am Worlds in Nashville and am curious how much the courses have changed. I know from last year's coverage that Cedar Hills is largely the same.

Cedar Hill has not changed much at all in the 12 years I have played it. I was there in June. Not sure if they have made any changes or cleaned it up in prep for the NT, I am guessing they probably have.

Cedar Hill has not changed much at all in the 12 years I have played it. I was there in June. Not sure if they have made any changes or cleaned it up in prep for the NT, I am guessing they probably have.

They're playing two courses. First two rounds are at Cedar Hill Rounds 3 and 4 are at Mill Ridge Park.

Some local input here (not involved with tournament planning, just based in Middle Tennessee).

Like someone else mentioned, Cedar Hill hasn't changed much in the last 10 years or so. They made a couple changes for the MCO 2020 that will be in play again this year - extending Hole 9 (FPO only) and the super extended tree-filled spray-and-pray end of Hole 18 (MPO/FPO). Otherwise, based on the map posted on the 201 Music City Open facebook page on August 30th, they're using a standard layout that will probably result in a hot round around -12. (POST EDIT: they have lengthened/fixed a couple problematic teepads since the 2020 MCO based on feedback from the pros)

Mill Ridge is an entirely new course being built for the MCO. It was originally going to be ready for last year's NT event, but when the NT was canceled they shifted the MCO to an A-tier at Cedar Hill only. I think they got some feedback from the 2019 Ravenwood Course being wayyyyyyyyy too long, as this 18-hole trek only comes in at 9188'/7941' for MPO/FPO (compared to 13507' for MPO in 2019). I can't speak for this course since I haven't been there, but based on the image from the same facebook post, it appears to be relatively open with most of the tees/pins nestled near trees on the site. It definitely won't have the wooded feel of Cedar Hill.

Here's a link to that page, if anyone is wondering: http://https://www.facebook.com/2021-Music-City-Open-Presented-By-Dynamic-Discs-106849074819623

Last edited:
Does anyone have the inside scoop of what might be the best place to camp out at Mill Ridge for Saturday? I am assuming a hole somewhere on the back 9, maybe a spot where you can view multiple holes

Does anyone have the inside scoop of what might be the best place to camp out at Mill Ridge for Saturday? I am assuming a hole somewhere on the back 9, maybe a spot where you can view multiple holes

At the far end of the course you can mill around holes 9/10/12/13/14 and probably see a lot of action. 13's green is a highlight of the course, so it's cool to be there for a little while. I'm not sure you'll be able to sit in a single spot and get a good view of many different holes, but you can at least see all those without having to walk around very much.

At the far end of the course you can mill around holes 9/10/12/13/14 and probably see a lot of action. 13's green is a highlight of the course, so it's cool to be there for a little while. I'm not sure you'll be able to sit in a single spot and get a good view of many different holes, but you can at least see all those without having to walk around very much.

What about the spot by Hole 9 and 11 pad? Might be able to see drives on those holes and also putts on 8's green. Maybe some hole 10 as well.

What about the spot by Hole 9 and 11 pad? Might be able to see drives on those holes and also putts on 8's green. Maybe some hole 10 as well.

Basket of 10 is tucked out of view except from 10's fairway. 9's tee is probably a fun view, but it'd probably be better from the bottom. 11's tee is a tight little tunnel that will mostly be placement shots. Approaches to 8's basket should be good.

Curve of 9 will give you good views of 9's full flight, decent view of the second half of 11, and decent view of the first half of 12.

Basket of 10 is tucked out of view except from 10's fairway. 9's tee is probably a fun view, but it'd probably be better from the bottom. 11's tee is a tight little tunnel that will mostly be placement shots. Approaches to 8's basket should be good.

Curve of 9 will give you good views of 9's full flight, decent view of the second half of 11, and decent view of the first half of 12.

Thanks!

Apparently major drama brewing between Paul, Brodie, and the MCO/PDGA over Mill Ridge being closing for practice today, latest news is that gravel and other materials are being trucked in to resolve it and open the course back up for tomorrow morning.

Apparently major drama brewing between Paul, Brodie, and the MCO/PDGA over Mill Ridge being closing for practice today, latest news is that gravel and other materials are being trucked in to resolve it and open the course back up for tomorrow morning.

Paul isn't talking about the Mill Ridge conditions, it's that he doesn't think Cedar Hill is a worthy course for an NT.

Paul isn't talking about the Mill Ridge conditions, it's that he doesn't think Cedar Hill is a worthy course for an NT.

From what I've been following on social media (mostly locally), this does seem to be one of the main points (along with payout, which appears to be "low" for the NT "finale"). And in general, he's right.

Cedar Hill is, overall, the best course in Nashville (Cane Ridge will get there someday, but not until it has concrete teepads). However, the layout isn't quite NT level. Based on the layout being used, I'd expect there to only be a few holes that play at/above par (Hole 2, maybe Hole 6, Hole 8, Hole 18) and some to be well below par (Hole 1, Hole 3, Hole 4, Hole 11). Most holes won't see a ton of bogeys from the top card. Previously I had posted that I expect a hot round of about -12, but it's possible that could look closer to -14 based on what I said above...

Besides the layout, it's a pretty old course and some things (the tee signs, most teepads) are still original and not quite as grand as most other NT/DGPT courses. I've also heard direct complaints about the amount of trash at the park this week, which makes sense if you know the park (huge multi-use park in a not-so-great part of Nashville). I hope the event goes well, but things haven't started on the right foot so far.

This is like saying that the PGA (Professional Golf Association) is to blame because there isn't enough gravel down in the parking lot at Augusta or Rae's Creek is flooding or the rough is an inch too high.

This event is being hosted by the Music City Disc Golf Club, Tournament Director Wil McKaskle, and Asst. Tournament Director Jay Skinner. The PDGA is just the sanctioning body and has absolutely zero to do with the course prep or conditions. Pros like Paul McBeth and Holly Finale have been around long enough and should know better. Everyone else knows exactly where to direct their constructive criticism…and aiming any venom at the PDGA is completely misdirected and foolish.

Latest posts