• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Plastic?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I went ahead and joined the PDGA. Not sure if I will ever play in a tournament or anything, but I figure it's not a bad idea regardless. Went ahead and became a birdie club member because I figure now is a good time to do a little more if you can. I imagine their memberships are going to be down this year.

I was a little surprised to get actual discs as part of the package. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Do people actually throw these discs? The disc that comes with the regular package appears to a Latitude 64 Explorer, I'm guessing in whatever their D type plastic is. 172G. I might be tempted to try that disc out, as I already have one in the Opto plastic that I like a lot.

The "Birdie Club" disc is something by Discraft with a wider rim that goes 177+ grams, but nothing to indicate mold, also seems to be D type Plastic. I'm guessing it's too much disc for me at this point.

Both have decent looking stamps on them, and maybe they change from year to year? I've never been much of a collector though.

So, what do other people do with their PDGA membership package discs?

Actually, these may not be DX Plastic. I think they are too shiny. Isn't DX Plastic always more of a matte look? So now I'm also curious what plastic they are actually in.

I got the same explorer when I joined earlier this year. Pretty sure it's gold line plastic. I don't throw mine but that's because I already have a disc for that shot.

I got the same explorer when I joined earlier this year. Pretty sure it's gold line plastic. I don't throw mine but that's because I already have a disc for that shot.

Yeah, I didn't realize until now that Latitude64 doesn't have nearly the plethora of plastic offerings as everyone else. I'm guessing you are right about it being the Gold plastic.

Which makes it actually a really nice disc. Now I am very curious what the Discraft one is.

When I joined in 2007 with basic membership, I got a Stratus in ESP a run of those that came out too heavy for PDGA rules plus was black with gold stamp of the putter on the basket. I just need to renew sometime if I decide to play in PDGA Tournaments. I have not been a member since 2009.

Yeah, I didn't realize until now that Latitude64 doesn't have nearly the plethora of plastic offerings as everyone else. I'm guessing you are right about it being the Gold plastic.

Which makes it actually a really nice disc. Now I am very curious what the Discraft one is.

Show the top and the Profile of the disc up close and then the rim. I could help having seen/used Discraft Since mid 2004. Oh and most of the Discraft discs now have on the rim underside of the disc the Name of the disc on the mold. If the mold looks like a Discraft Disc but it is not quite, I have a guess as to what the mold might be, a popular midrange.

I did find the printed name of the disc, it was hard to see, but I'm curious if you will identify the mold.

Hopefully these attachments show up.

Attachments

• 20200511_214713.jpg
    20200511_214713.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200511_214753.jpg
    20200511_214753.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200511_214742.jpg
    20200511_214742.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 41
when I joined it was a Stalker, if I remember correctly. Before that, it was a Stratus. The disc changes over the years and they are usually different. Mine and the Stratus discs were all black. Also, it was the only Stratus you could get in a premium plastic...yet it was black. Black can be a hard color to find, so not a preferred thrower. YMMV on that.

I did find the printed name of the disc, it was hard to see, but I'm curious if you will identify the mold.

Hopefully these attachments show up.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is a Buzzz. My buddy did the Birdie Club one year and that is what he got. I'd guess it is either Pro-D or ESP plastic, since I don't believe you can do foil stamp on X plastic.

That is a pretty sturdy limb.

Hard to read, but it is a Buzzz

Attachments

• 20200511_215423.jpg
    20200511_215423.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 29
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is a Buzzz. My buddy did the Birdie Club one year and that is what he got. I'd guess it is either Pro-D or ESP plastic, since I don't believe you can do foil stamp on X plastic.

You can on X, I have an old Elite X Wasp that has a foil tournament stamp. Elite X is just a stiffer X. Nope not Pro D as Pro D will have 0 shine to the disc in the modern Pro D made starting in 2006 sometime no matter how old the disc.

Plastic is 1 of 3, Elite X, Big Z or ESP.

Is Big Z the same thing as Z-Flx? Or is that different?

I got a Challenger in Z-Flx and ... I'm not sure what the point is. Feels like you are trying to throw something with a parachute attached or something. Not that it is actually remarkably shorter or anything, just something feels off about it.

I have purchased probably way too much plastic at this point, just trying to get some sort of feel for what is out there. It's so alluring ... only $10 for this one, only $20 for that one. I'm not sure I want to actually add it up. :D

When i joined it was a MVP Tesla... It was not done very well... It was one of the most over stable discs i have ever thrown... I didnt have it very long... it ended up in a lake along with many many many discs.

No, Big Z is a mix between Z and ESP. Z is the Champion equivalent. ESP is sort of the Star equivalent. Z-FLX is like GStar.

I'm guessing this Buzzz is ESP. It seems most similar in feel to the stuff I have in Star plastic.

That Z-Flx Challenger isn't really like any of the GStar stuff I have. It's semi-translucent for one, and not really all that flexible. Sorta has a "dead" feel to it. Anyway, everything seems to be "it's own thing", which is kinda cool. I'm sure someday all the mysteries of the disc golf universe will be revealed to me, and I will ascend to that great big basket in the sky.

I'm guessing this Buzzz is ESP. It seems most similar in feel to the stuff I have in Star plastic.

That Z-Flx Challenger isn't really like any of the GStar stuff I have. It's semi-translucent for one, and not really all that flexible. Sorta has a "dead" feel to it. Anyway, everything seems to be "it's own thing", which is kinda cool. I'm sure someday all the mysteries of the disc golf universe will be revealed to me, and I will ascend to that great big basket in the sky.

Z FLX it varies, some is almost like a slight flex run of Z, other is so floppy it is like DGA Gumputt/powerdrive or Blowfly/II discs, all 4 molds.

I'm late to the conversation, but in case anyone else looks at this thread....

You can email the PDGA and ask them what the disc is. You only get the membership disc free when you join; however, you can buy the year's membership disc when you renew. I renewed this year (2020) and, before I did, I asked them what the membership disc was. I don't recall the mold, but they were charging $18 for it and I had decided it was a mold that I wouldn't be using and opted to not buy it.

Is Big Z the same thing as Z-Flx? Or is that different?

I got a Challenger in Z-Flx and ... I'm not sure what the point is. Feels like you are trying to throw something with a parachute attached or something. Not that it is actually remarkably shorter or anything, just something feels off about it.

I have purchased probably way too much plastic at this point, just trying to get some sort of feel for what is out there. It's so alluring ... only $10 for this one, only $20 for that one. I'm not sure I want to actually add it up. :D

Big Z is kind of an opaque variant of Z that is a tad softer and grippier. A lot of my ESP drivers feel very similar to Big Z, but it seems like Big-Z wears in faster than ESP.
Z-FLX is z with a lot of plasticizer thrown in, making the flight plate feel a lot more flexible and also providing better grip. If you have a weak grip, Z-FLX is a good plastic. I love it. Z-FLX variants are often more stable than other plastics of a particular mold, but this isn't absolute. It generally holds up to a lot of abuse and takes some time to beat in. On the downside, the plastic's flexibility lends itself to some wobble that many folks dislike, especially on faster discs.
Z-FLX discs also seem to glide less, which sounds like your experience with your challenger. I carry two ringer gt putters... one in Z-FLX, the other in either jawbreaker or soft x. The Z-FLX one is my brick.

Last edited:
I got an ESP Storm at 150g. Bagged if for quite a while until I started to get more serious about building a bag instead of just carrying everything I owned.

Latest posts