• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings when Pro & Am are on different layouts

Seabrook

Par Member
Hey. I'm running an event and planning to place some OB on a couple of holes that would be used by the Pro divisions and not the Am divisions. They still have the same pars but it will probably effect the over scores for the Pros.

How will this effect the Pro player round ratings? Would the Pros end up with lower ratings? Or is it based only on the players within the division?

Hope it made sense... Thanks.

The only effect it will have on ratings is that you will have to list the Pros as having played a different course than the Ams when you submit the report. There's not much point in comparing the ratings between the two at that point, as they will be what they will be and have no relation to one another.

In a tournament where pros play a different course layout, and there is only one pro registered for the tournament, how are ratings/payouts determined? I assume that no matter what score is shot the round rating will match the rating of the one player, and the payout will just be the entry fee? is this correct?

In a tournament where pros play a different course layout, and there is only one pro registered for the tournament, how are ratings/payouts determined? I assume that no matter what score is shot the round rating will match the rating of the one player, and the payout will just be the entry fee? is this correct?

theres a minimum number of propagators needed to get ratings. I cant remember if its 4 or 6 or whatever it is but if only one pro were to show up then that pro wouldnt get a rating for the rounds

If there's only one player playing the layout, he isn't going to get a rating for the round. If ratings matter to the player, it would be better to have him play whatever layout everyone else is on. I mean, if he has no competition, does it matter that he plays a layout appropriate to his skill level?

As for payout, it depends on the tier of the event and any associated costs for the event. The player should expect at least 85% of his net entry fee to be returned to him (C-tier minimum...higher tier would be more of the entry). Key is it is based on net entry, not total. PDGA player fees, local club fees, greens fees, etc...those can all be deducted from the entry before it goes into the payout purse. So the player's payout is going to be most of his entry, but not necessarily all of it.

theres a minimum number of propagators needed to get ratings. I cant remember if its 4 or 6 or whatever it is but if only one pro were to show up then that pro wouldnt get a rating for the rounds

Yep, it's four propagators minimum to get round ratings. As for payouts, assuming 100% payout, the individual would get their entry fee minus the per-player PDGA fee and any 'pass-through' fees (greens fees, course rental, etc.).

No propagators are required to get an official round rating. Three props will generate unofficial ratings on the website.