• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA rule update needed, need as many signatures as possible!!!

Pandora's box? Meh. Let everyone that can afford and acquire a cart legally, use them. Just like I suffer cart bag morons trying to drag their stupid contraptions around goat paths.

I'm going to use a pogo stick to travel from hole to hole. Is that against the rules?

Pandora's box? Meh. Let everyone that can afford and acquire a cart legally, use them. Just like I suffer cart bag morons trying to drag their stupid contraptions around goat paths.

I'm going to use a pogo stick to travel from hole to hole. Is that against the rules?

Those with disabilities should be given opportunity......as long as they can afford to pay? Humanitarian of the year?

Why are you even involved in this conversation, if you have no interest in improving the game and the experience for everyone.......besides yourself?

I have honestly tried a couple times to intelligently involve you in this discussion. SMH.

Those with disabilities should be given opportunity......as long as they can afford to pay? Humanitarian of the year?

Why are you even involved in this conversation, if you have no interest in improving the game and the experience for everyone.......besides yourself?

I have honestly tried a couple times to intelligently involve you in this discussion. SMH.

Wait are you implying that anyone pays to provide the disabled with whatever devices they need to get along in life? I always presumed they provided their own things. TDs aren't buying prosthetics are they?? Should they?? I guess if they want to be humanitarian maybe they SHOULD be buying prosthetics for disabled disc golfers.

I want to improve things for everyone! By allowing everyone to have a cart if they so choose! Honestly I would rather we just have a blanket policy of allowing carts because as the PGA has shown, this is a sure fire way to get slapped with an ADA lawsuit. So in advocating for universal cart permission, I am advocating for the way least likely to provoke a lawsuit. Conversely you are advocating for a situation where the PDGA is most likely to get sued. Who exactly is trying to make disc golf better again?

Wait are you implying that anyone pays to provide the disabled with whatever devices they need to get along in life? I always presumed they provided their own things. TDs aren't buying prosthetics are they?? Should they?? I guess if they want to be humanitarian maybe they SHOULD be buying prosthetics for disabled disc golfers.

I want to improve things for everyone! By allowing everyone to have a cart if they so choose! Honestly I would rather we just have a blanket policy of allowing carts because as the PGA has shown, this is a sure fire way to get slapped with an ADA lawsuit. So in advocating for universal cart permission, I am advocating for the way least likely to provoke a lawsuit. Conversely you are advocating for a situation where the PDGA is most likely to get sued. Who exactly is trying to make disc golf better again?

Hyperbole, conjecture, supposition and innuendo are not really the foundation of an opinion.

Providing carts on disc golf courses is not improving things for everyone. I feel comfortable speaking for many, in I do not wish to have randos tooling around in motorized vehicles on my local courses. Outside of the obvious noise, distraction, safety and vandalism likelihood, the erosion to most of this area's courses would be tragic.

Thank you for your input to the conversation. ADA considerations have long been a discussion here and I am confident at the PDGA, as well. There are many activities that simply cannot be retrofitted into ADA compliance. Rock climbing, some hiking.... I am confident that the PDGA can come up with a system, for the few true exceptions to be accommodated, in the correct circumstances.

The PGA and the PDGA are so different in both the game played and the land used. I think using them as comparison is very difficult.

damn. There is an emotional plea on one side and logical argument on the other which mostly stems from people being A-Holes (meaning the people who would abuse opportunities or start lawsuits).

I'm not dismissing the arguments themselves, but the whatabout arguments are generally slippery slope issues and reflect someone abusing the opportunity.

Also not dismissing the importance of rules in sports in general. Disc golf is largely self governing (players) and honor system--which makes honoring the rules that much more relevant because people tend to follow others example.

Hopefully there is a TUE option Andre can use or if not, then it can be introduced within the PDGA. Lower tier events are foundational for the PDGA and those events are driven by local participation which means inclusiveness is important.

I think the point about involving local parks and recreation is on point. That's not an area to press too hard when cities are strapped for cash and terrified of lawsuits.

Last edited:
"and will not be provided for injuries that are temporary in nature, such as a recoverable injury."

Not sure I agree with this. A disability, temporary or permanent is still a disability on the day of the tournament. If someone has a broken leg but still wants to play perhaps they should be able to use a cart. hmm....

"and will not be provided for injuries that are temporary in nature, such as a recoverable injury."

Not sure I agree with this. A disability, temporary or permanent is still a disability on the day of the tournament. If someone has a broken leg but still wants to play perhaps they should be able to use a cart. hmm....

Right....or a hangover.

Right....or a hangover.
:rolleyes:

I was just thinking of the player who plans ahead of time.. (maybe a year or more) to play GBO, Worlds, etc, but leading up to the event they have an injury but still want to play. You don't think that player should be allowed to utilize a cart?

I was just thinking of the player who plans ahead of time.. (maybe a year or more) to play GBO, Worlds, etc, but leading up to the event they have an injury but still want to play. You don't think that player should be allowed to utilize a cart?

No. That would neither match the intent of the rule exemption (to grow the sport by including those people who cannot participate otherwise) nor would it be competitively fair. Where would you draw the line for temporary injuries? If I claim a sprained ankle and get a doc to vouch for it, then should I be allowed to drive a cart? No way, that's bogus and insulting to people with real disabilities.

No. The logistics would be a nightmare. Does old, fat and lazy qualify? Bad mexican food last night?

I think permanent disabilities is a good place to start and stop.

No. That would neither match the intent of the rule exemption (to grow the sport by including those people who cannot participate otherwise) nor would it be competitively fair. Where would you draw the line for temporary injuries? If I claim a sprained ankle and get a doc to vouch for it, then should I be allowed to drive a cart? No way, that's bogus and insulting to people with real disabilities.

Just saying the guy wearing a leg cast should be able to be considered to use a cart. Now the extremes like the fat old guy, drunk, etc...:rolleyes:

Just saying the guy wearing a leg cast should be able to be considered to use a cart. Now the extremes like the fat old guy, drunk, etc...:rolleyes:

I get it. But that guy with a cast is missing out on what, maybe 4 months of competitive opportunities? This exemption isn't about him. It's about the guy who was never able to compete in his life due to long-term disabilities. It's giving him a chance to experience competition.

Not that it's hard to click the link MTL provided, but, might as well just post the announcement:
The PDGA is implementing a Reasonable Modification Request Policy. The policy allows players with disabilities to apply for rules exemptions where such exemptions may allow them to participate in PDGA-sanctioned events where they otherwise could not. Rules exemptions will be provided on an annual basis requiring re-submittal each year, and will not be provided for injuries that are temporary in nature, such as a recoverable injury. Applications may be submitted by anyone planning to play in a PDGA-sanctioned event, whether or not they are a current PDGA member, and will be reviewed by the PDGA Medical Committee for approval.

I think it's a big step in the right direction. I can live with it being for permanent situations, rather than temporary.
Open that door, and some people will be trying to gain a competitive edge for hangnails. Amputees, someone with MS, stuff like that... those folks deserve something to level the playing filed as far as getting around the course.

I get it. But that guy with a cast is missing out on what, maybe 4 months of competitive opportunities? This exemption isn't about him. It's about the guy who was never able to compete in his life due to long-term disabilities. It's giving him a chance to experience competition.

Of course I (already) massively agree with that. And quite frankly it doesn't make sense why the PDGA didn't allow this decades...ago.

Latest posts