• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA SANCTIONED LEAGUES

If santioned glow does happen, i hope its strictly glow discs- no leds- so itll force companys to produce more.

It sounds like a great plan. However, for me all the glow products I have ever seen just do not cut it. The new Glow Ion is decent but I would not be using it for my open field maximum distance drives. I just cannot see glow after a certain point and unless I know the approximate area to look for, it is tough for me to spot it until I step on it.

A few years back I was out at Highbridge for a night round. If you have ever been out there, on a moonless night that is the darkest I have ever experienced. Even then I was having trouble tracking my Champ Glo Destroyer beyond 300 feet.

That is why I need to use attached lights. I prefer the Black Jax pods because while they destroyed the disc because you have to screw the pods into the flight plate, they stayed attached (unlike tape sometimes) and the batteries last forever.

I know it is my eyes and glow works well for others, but if it is a glow only rule, I better play with a group that can spot along with me because I am not going to be much help.

I'm gonna disagree with you here Steve. I have played my share of ball golf as well, and most people don't know or care what their handicap is. Only pretty hardcore tournament golfers do.

Those are the same people who are already in the PDGA. The everyday players that the leagues get aren't that way.

I think if you went to a public course on a busy saturday and asked everyone what their handicap was you'd get less than 20% that know it or care. If you had to pay more to get a handicap a lot of players aren't gonna be interested.

I have a general idea of what I expect to shoot on a course based on looking at a map/scorecard. I don't need a ratings system to try and tell me that.

I agree with all of that. I have never had my handicap determined and don't know many that do unless they are members of a private course that keeps up with their scores.

As a newlywed who works on Sundays but not Thursdays or Fridays, sanctioned weekday play would make PDGA membership more relevant to my life. One of the main reasons I have never joined the PDGA is that I have only played in one sanctioned tournament in 4 years. I make the local ice bowls and ace races, but I don't have the time to travel or play on Sundays, so I generally miss the area C-Tiers and am not interested in competing at higher level tournaments. I think this is a good idea, if the right TDs use it.

One thing for the TDs to consider is whether sanctioning your league is likely to keep away the more recreational players (beginners, kids, etc.) who tend to shy away from "official" competition. It might be a good idea in some cases to add a new league to your calendar rather than change the league you're already running, at least the first season or two, to see how your player base responds.

Is the $25 sanction fee only cover a league at a single course

my question is if you played course A the first tues of the month, and course B the second wed of the month, and course C the third thursday of the month, and course D the fourth friday of every month - and you did this for 3 months - and so thereby played 12 league nights - would this count as a single $25 sanction event or would you have to pay $100 to pay for this as 4 sanctioned events?

You can play a different course each week during a league. If you play one round per week at a different course and even on a different night each week as you propose, that would still qualify as a single league with just a $25 sanctioning fee. The only restriction at this point is all players in the sanctioned divisions of a league need to play same layout on a specific night. In other words, the Pros and Advanced can't play long tees and the Intermediates and Recs play the short tees on the same night.

PDGA league rounds?

I heard a rumor that a local club around where I live is thinking about doing weekly league rounds as PDGA rated rounds. Is this possible? I've never heard of this. How would it have to be done if so?

Yeah the PDGA is offering this to leagues starting this year. Minimum of 12 weeks I think. Probably just to get a few bucks and so peoples ratings can go up on their home courses.

Honestly not bad for $25 for the league to do it, and maybe an extra doll hair or two for the number processing. We're thinking of starting one near me just to give it a try.

So my next question would be to ask how you guys feel about this? I guess I have mixed feelings about it. It would be nice to get more rated rounds, but I kinda feel like they should come from PDGA events.

We just had a long discussion on this......

The thought is this will make the PDGA more valuable to PDGA members and potential members, including those who don't play in full-fledged tournaments. Plenty of people applauding the move.

i :clap:. i have 35 members in my club. they all com out to play three times a week. but only three of us travel and play in PDGA sanctioned events. i think this is a good way to get those other guys to join the PDGA. with more numbers the better PDGA can give more back to the community. also look good to future bigger sponsors (swoosh!). which some people are against. but i believe it is a great opportunity for our sport.

Yeah after pondering this for a bit, I say good move by the PDGA on this. I think it should help in raising the number of members we have. It may entice some to join that otherwise wouldn't, like your every week league members that don't necessarily have the means to play in a bunch of PDGA events. Hats off. However, will the round ratings be determined the same way as PDGA events, or will there be any slight modifications for the league rounds?

I have mixed feelings on this and won't really know how I feel until we see the results of it.

Extra rated rounds will be appreciated by many and that's potentially a huge plus. More frequent PDGA round opportunities without as much travel required.

Curious to see how this affects ratings in general. This will means that anyone running a League must be a PDGA official and that all League rounds must now be strictly by PDGA rules. You hope this is the case but it leaves room for scrutiny.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. I know a lot of leagues are far more chill than a PDGA event. But for the diehards like myself I'm going to expect that all the rules will be followed to a T if it's going to affect my rating.

Not all rules will apply. Alcohol will be allowed, if not illegal on the course. Cash payouts to Ams will be allowed.

This doesn't affect me as I doubt our local leagues will join, and I rarely play local league, anyway. I hope it goes well for those who want it. It's a big leap, and I'm certain there'll be lots of bumps to iron out in the first year.

I stated in the earlier thread that I feel it cheapens the ratings a bit, but that's just a personal feeling, and at any rate not a big deal. I'd prefer ratings to reflect full tournament play.

I know that you can drink alcohol. Wonder what other pDGA rules won't be followed.

I meant in terms of marking you disc properly, observing ob rules, things of that nature. Personally I don't really mind if someone else on my card is drinking. IMO, that gives me an advantage. ;)

I know that you can drink alcohol. Wonder what other pDGA rules won't be followed.

My guess is that rules will be followed about as closely or loosely as they now are in your league play. Other than, perhaps, having to use PDGA-defined divisions.

Latest posts