• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA vs DGCR rating

PDGA: 862
DGCR: 893

Varies greatly depending on the course (and I suppose how propagators did at a given sanctioned event).

Some examples:
2012 DGLO @ Hudson Mills Monster (shorts): score = 75, PDGA round rating = 899, DGCR Round Rating= 904
2012 DGLO @Hudson Mills Original (shorts): score = 77, PDGA round rating = 877, DGCR round rating = 850
Both courses were completely unchanged in any way.

Firefighter's Park in Troy: a par score of 54 is a DGCR Rated 943 round. No way in hell a 54 on that course would ever be a 943 rated round unless you were playing in hurricane winds and every other was lucky to card a 60. I think my PDGA rating's pretty indicative of my ability and performance. I'd say a par round at FF might be rated in the 860's, maybe 870's. I doubt it would get rated any higher. On a modified layout with a few shortened holes + 6 extra temp holes, I shot a +1 (PDGA rated 837), and a -5 (PDGA rated 899)... just evidence to support my claim there's no way a par round on that course works out to be anywhere near a 943 rating.

One reason a player's DCGR rating might actually be lower than their PDGA rating could be that they take more risks in casual round than they do in sanctioned events.

Actually, the weighting factors for SSE are based largely on Charlotte courses as those were the courses I knew the exact configurations (lengths) and weather conditions that corresponded with SSA data. I begged for more data from other DGCR members, but the actual real data which SSE is based upon is embarrassingly limited.

You may well be right that the weighting on "Heavily Wooded" is too great....but I was influenced by looking at that outlier Renny (SSAs from both Gold and Original). My thinking was that I was observing more and more new courses/designers offering a similar level of challenge.

I am very pleased with how well SSE estimates SSA. I would bet a lot of money that it does a MUCH more accurate job at predicting the SSA than the sum total of DGCR tournament players could do after making a visit to a course.

jeverett worked the magic on converting SSE to a DGCR Player Rating. By extension, I am very pleased with how well it works.....especially given that each course configuration has only 3 choices for a variable that sets SSE (and resultant Player Ratings). Remember, "SSE is what DGCR estimates a Pro would score".....and a "Pro" could be rated 980-1030.....and SSE almost always is within that range.

I appreciate the additional info.

Rennaisance is set at "Moderately Wooded". This probably contributes to the lower SSE as the front sequence of 3-7 is really darn tightly wooded on both configurations. Other than 11 and 12 on Gold; either the fairway of each hole is shaped by treelines or have well protected pins. Renny set at "Moderately Wooded" desperately needs all of the "Highly Technical" that it can get.

PDGA - 873
DGCR - 957
My PDGA Membersip is not current and I have not played in a PDGA Tournament for around two years.
OTOH, vast majority of my DGCR-recorded rounds are on my home course, which I know very, very well.
Realistically, I'm probably somewhere between the two, in the 920 area.