• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] PDX

straight out of napoleon dynamite's sketchbook

hahah the stamp is horrible looking. I'm amazed at some of the stuff getting approved by innova lately, b/t this and the philo's face on a bird stamp... you really gotta wonder who the fk is approving this horrible looking artwork. To be fair, I get the idea on the McBeast stamp, but just poorly executed...

Picked up two beast PDX's. First non-trilogy mold I've bought in a year. Because I've been looking for the PD esque disc, and have been experimenting with the longbowman and recycled spark. This disc is FAST. Goes straight for a little while, but really hyzers and pushes forward for quite a way. I actually really enjoy it. I've been looking for a fairway/distance hybrid than can hold power hyzer lines and this fits the bill.

hahah the stamp is horrible looking. I'm amazed at some of the stuff getting approved by innova lately, b/t this and the philo's face on a bird stamp... you really gotta wonder who the fk is approving this horrible looking artwork. To be fair, I get the idea on the McBeast stamp, but just poorly executed...

Agreed. Its almost like they don't care what the artwork is cuz they'll sell them all anyway.

I got my first throws in with my two PDX's yesterday. I was surprised at the results. I got one S-line and one C-line, both max weight.

Like previously mentioned, the disc is fast. But what surprised me was how much glide it had. I was expecting them to be very beefy, but actually they are very workable and found I got really good distance with them.

I was a little disappointed at first because I was expecting them to be super stable, but I think one may stay in my bag due to the glide and distance I'm getting from them. And just like a standard PD, they seem to power down nicely.

Compared to my C-line PD, the PDX definitely is faster, and has a stronger fade with more skip at the end of its flight. But the HSS seemed pretty close.

I'll get to know them more once I get some more throws in with them. And if I find I really like them, I'll then need decide which one to bag.

So I played a round with my PDx and figured I'd share my thoughts.

Regarding the comparison to a DD, I do not find them to be similar at all. I find a DD to be like a slightly slower destroyer with less HSS. The DD is fast and starts fading quickly and is great for shots that travel a lot left to right (or r-> l obviously). I found the PDx not to be like this at all. I found it clearly slower and I found it's ability to travel laterally with flex lines to be much less significant and slower.

It's been a long time but the disc I found the PDx most similar to was a first run ESP predator. It's overstable in the sense that it can take a lot of power and doesn't have a lot of turn but I didn't think it was great for big flex shots. Imagine throwing a zone on a firebird flex line. Even though the zone is really OS it definitely won't come out of the anhyzer forced on the disc.

I think the PDx is a great disc and will stay in my bag. I think it is really good for a disc that you need to start fading and will get a strong fade when it starts. I also agree with the other statements that it has a shocking amount of glide and that if thrown straight or with hyzer it will hit have quite a bit of fade. It also has great skips. I found myself using it for shots where I needed it to fade at a very specific point, for example a shot that needs to go 340 through the woods then tank right. I think the disc shines when flying straight and then really dumping for the LSS portion of the flight.

For reference, I have one of the clear PDx that came in the most recent batch of DGWT C lines

Is there any place to pick these up right now? Any plans to do a full release? Thanks for help!

They released the Aussie Open fundraisers on Discmania's factory store Monday, but I'm sure they've sold out by now. Their store tends to be very small runs. For the time being, they have said they are keeping these only for small fundraiser runs. No plans of production yet. You can occasionally see them on Reddit's r/discexchange, eBay, DGS Trading Post, Facebook collector's groups, but they'll run around $30. Kinda steep. I'm really enjoying the few that I have and hope they do a full-production in 2017. We'll have to see what rarintal says on the "Ask Discmania" thread...

There's been a bunch of people posting pics of their mystery box contents on the Discmania collectors FB page and quite a few have swirly s-line pdxs that came in their boxes. I ordered a box so hopefully I get one haha.
It'd be great to get them as a production run disc though as they're one of my favorites to throw.

well after perusing the reviews it sound like a winner.

if you can't find a pdx now or can't afford one get a dd?

really only available in champ fundraiser at around 20 bucks if you get lucky?

I was able to snag one of Australia opens. Sadly only one, but it will give me a chance to put out a severe critique of this disc because it has been getting major hype.

Fortunately for my checkbook this will be the last disc purchase of 2016 and maybe even spring 2017 as I'm stuffed with goodies. My bag is finally, almost perfect .

Another gift came in the mail today, the PDX aussey fundraiser lay in the package.

Perfect looking mold in my opionion-nice dome, speed 11 grippable rim, just looks like a perfectly tooled disc..

Too cold to throw anything now and I only have one so I will continue to admire.

well after perusing the reviews it sound like a winner.

if you can't find a pdx now or can't afford one get a dd?

really only available in champ fundraiser at around 20 bucks if you get lucky?

I was able to snag one of Australia opens. Sadly only one, but it will give me a chance to put out a severe critique of this disc because it has been getting major hype.

Fortunately for my checkbook this will be the last disc purchase of 2016 and maybe even spring 2017 as I'm stuffed with goodies. My bag is finally, almost perfect .

True true. The latest run of OS DDs seem to fly for me quite the bit like a PDX.

I have a question.

Ive been throwing teebird / wraith for drivers and i recently picked up some pds and love them, but they are similar to the teebird so ive been debating dropping them from the lineup.

Will the pdx create enough of a gap that i wont have to worry or would it still be cutting it close?

Latest posts