• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PEDs on the DGPT

crushboi

What competitive advantages can come from it and will we see any drug testing on the DGPT due to players using PEDs in the future.

Agree that it is debatable. Where is the line drawn on what constitutes a PED? ADHD meds, Caffeine, Pain Killers, CBD, the Devil's Lettice, prescription meds, ointments? Who makes that decision, the DGPT or use some other sports established guidelines? Really slippery slope for very minimal gain, and probably cost prohibitive to test reliably and often.

What I could see, but still doubtful, is Disc Golf being included in the Olympics and the IOC testing competitors against their standards.

I'm much less concerned about someone taking HGH or the like and playing disc golf verses the multitude of other ways slimy people try to cheat, and even then, still not that concerned because it rarely happens on the DGPT level.

debatable and not unless it is forced on them
PEDs would be hugely advantageous in professional disc golf, and there is a mountain of literature/research and real world examples of this in other comparable sports going back decades. MLB pitchers come to mind as an example, but there are a multitude of others. Juiced up players would have a huge advantage in arm speed and power alone, and that's just one of many aspects. The improved recovery time would allow a player to put in a lot more work in the field as well, leading to improvements in skill and endurance.

Disc golf at the tour level should stay far far away from any notion of joining the Olympic bureaucracy and should go the complete opposite direction and embrace drug use.
Yes to the first part, and absolutely not to the second, assuming you're not being facetious.

What competitive advantages can come from it and will we see any drug testing on the DGPT due to players using PEDs in the future.

It's been awhile since this topic has been posted.

Not sure there is a huge group of top players who could even afford a PED regimen with things like steroids, HGH, etc.

Unless they have a cheap, bulk source so they can bring it with on tour (or an online source?).

Only a few guys flying to each tournament, going home each week, so I guess look at them first?

The more likely story would be prescription drug abuse (Adderall, Xanax, etc).

I could be wrong (hey, it happens), but I don't think PED use even cracks DG's Top 10 problems. Seems we'd be looking for a solution to a fairly non-existent problem (at least as far as DG is concerned).

Could it become a problem somewhere down the road? I suppose so. But I don't think the DGPT needs to start random drug tests at this point. Call me when Calvin's head changes shapes like Barry Bonds'.

I could be wrong (hey, it happens), but I don't think PED use even cracks DG's Top 10 problems. Seems we'd be looking for a solution to a fairly non-existent problem (at least as far as DG is concerned).

Could it become a problem somewhere down the road? I suppose so. But I don't think the DGPT needs to start random drug tests at this point. Call me when Calvin's head changes shapes like Barry Bonds'.
Agreed, and I think the most important point to make here, is that it's a DGPT problem, not a PDGA one.

Latest posts