• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pennsylvania Envy

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just returned from a quick trip to PA, and all I can say is WOW, after playing Nockamixon and Tyler SP ! Only had time for those two, but I can't wait to go back for more. Played Tyler twice and it's my new standard for woods course perfection ! Aesthetics, fun factor and navigation signage were off the charts.

How was Tyler Set up with the pin locations, A, B, C?
At some point soon, if not already, they move to all C's for the upcoming Yetter Tourney which is an A tier. I'm hoping it's already all C's

How was Tyler Set up with the pin locations, A, B, C?
At some point soon, if not already, they move to all C's for the upcoming Yetter Tourney which is an A tier. I'm hoping it's already all C's
They were mixed, which I did not mind at all. It speaks volumes that pin positions are Tyler's biggest issue when I couldn't even find the back nine at Nock.

I love Tyler, and do not mind when there is a good mix of positions. you will become annoyed with too many A pins, and it's unfortunate to miss what would be a signature hole elsewhere because a pin is in A and not B or C.

Playing Tyler in all C's is such a thing of beauty and a great challenge.

Sedgley woods is a nice course to hit up if you love wooded courses (i'm a guide). Sedgley is the first pole hole course on the east coast (1977), I believe steady ed helped with the course, and has 27 holes with 3 tees per hole. a much shorter course than tyler (only one hole would be considered pro par 4), but a ton of fun.

You have PA envy and you didn't even hit up many of the gems in a relatively close area. 05 pro worlds was in allentown and played Jordan Creek, Little Lehigh Parkway, Tinicum and Nockamixon i believe.

There is also a top notch Ski hill course in Blue Mountain (actually two courses on site, a base and a peak) . they are having an NT event this weekend with top pros Nikko, Doss, etc. in attendance.

I was in Tyler's parking lot @3:30 yesterday debating whether to drive into Philly or do a second round at the enchanted forest. I stayed, but I'll hit Sedgley next time for sure as well as Jordan Creek.

To be honest I was incredibly disappointed with Tyler. Most of the pins were in the A and the course really was just boring in the A pins. The C pins looked great, but how am I to know without getting to play them? And I talked to many locals who told me that the course is hardly ever in the long positions. I have been waiting to get more feedback on that, but if that is the case I am going to rate the course a 3.5 because I honestly feel that's what it deserves if if the course is mostly in the A pins.

They were mixed, which I did not mind at all. It speaks volumes that pin positions are Tyler's biggest issue when I couldn't even find the back nine at Nock.

The back nine at Nocky is even cooler than the front nine - as an FYI it starts very close to hole 18's basket, which is very near hole 1's tee. I actually thought Nocky was pretty easy to navigate, while Tyler was really frustrating because I spent more time walking between holes than walking to my disc.

Jordan Creek and Little Lehigh Parkway are two other awesome disc golf courses in the Allentown, Pa area. Jordan is more wooded, while the Parkway is a bombers dream course.

Next time you're in the area, give a shout out to the Lehigh Valley crew. I'd be happy to show you the courses and all the trees I've hit and the woods that have eaten my discs.

That and a ton of other awesome courses. Just in the P'burg and Lehigh Valley alone there are more solid courses than in most states.

Your Going to have to get out to the Pittsburgh area. Moraine, Deer Lakes, IUP College Lodge, Knob Hill, Schenley (just cause its dahntown), and Two Mile Extension (9 hole) are my regulars.

Your Going to have to get out to the Pittsburgh area. Moraine, Deer Lakes, IUP College Lodge, Knob Hill, Schenley (just cause its dahntown), and Two Mile Extension (9 hole) are my regulars.

Even though this was directed toward the OP, I think it would be cool to get a crew of East-siders to head to the 'burg and then have the Pixberg crew roll into the Valley for a weekend. That way we all get a taste of the best of what's around.

Even though this was directed toward the OP, I think it would be cool to get a crew of East-siders to head to the 'burg and then have the Pixberg crew roll into the Valley for a weekend. That way we all get a taste of the best of what's around.

I've never been to the east side of PA, but I just got back from playing Deer Lakes and Moraine...and I was absolutely blown away. I tossed in The Black Course in Moundsville, WV and it made for one of the best 3 course trips I've ever had. Kickassness of the highest order...

I've got to expand my DG horizons. I keep telling myself I gotta get to Tyler, Nockamixon, etc. Then the lazy part of me says, "Why drive for an hour when you can be at Jordan, Lehigh, or S Mt in 10 minutes?"

I've got to expand my DG horizons. I keep telling myself I gotta get to Tyler, Nockamixon, etc. Then the lazy part of me says, "Why drive for an hour when you can be at Jordan, Lehigh, or S Mt in 10 minutes?"

You hit the nail on the head...expand your horizons. Check them out. They wouldn't be so highly-rated if they weren't worth it.

Played my second round at Tyler with a longtime player who just plays Tyler and Sedgley exclusively. I can't even imagine having Nockamixon right up the road and not playing it. Judging by the wear, Nock must not get near the traffic of Tyler.

central PA parks

i've played jordan & lil lehigh. so worth the drive.
i've played tyler twice. ditto.
i live in lancaster pa. all these are a 1.5 -2 hour drive for me.

i also suggest visiting lancaster for roland park and buchmiller. then head into york county for 2 courses at gifford pinchot (18 holes each) and the 2 courses at codorous (27 holes each).