• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

People who play like disc golf zombies

Given that they are landing shots less than 10 feet from baby strollers, I'd say they aren't looking at all.

The only time I've ever got confrontational on a course was due to this exact reason. Some dude was playing the "safari" layout at our local pitch n putt. Not a "chucker", a fairly experienced player. He was throwing multiple shots across 4 fairways down into an area that he couldn't see. There is a teepad right there. His first disc nearly hit me as I was teeing off. I didn't know where it had even came from, but I hollered to watch it. I wasn't expecting more discs. His next disc hit me in the calf as I was trying to tee off again. That hurts like hell btw. Not sure how he didn't hear the ensuing stream of cussing. The third disc then caught my then 1 year olds stroller as we were trying to get the hell out of the way. I completely flipped the f@#$ out. Took every ounce of self control to not absolutely pummel the idiot. His response "oh sorry. Didn't see you"

/Rant

I've gotten the opposite from park goers.

A guy stops as I'm about to throw, says "let me see what this disc golf is about." It is about a 230 foot uphill throw with about a 15 foot gap about 200 feet out and angled away from the tee. I throw my best ever shot on that hole, flying just to the right of the gap, fading into the gap with just the right amount of forward push, and sliding up about 3 feet from the hole.

Guy shakes his head in disgust and says, "Keep practicing, pal."

Do what I do. Hand them a disc and tell them to give it a whirl.

My disc of choice for this is my Stego........ Happened a few times. That disc earned a spot in my bag for that reason alone if nothing else.

I've gotten the opposite from park goers.

A guy stops as I'm about to throw, says "let me see what this disc golf is about." It is about a 230 foot uphill throw with about a 15 foot gap about 200 feet out and angled away from the tee. I throw my best ever shot on that hole, flying just to the right of the gap, fading into the gap with just the right amount of forward push, and sliding up about 3 feet from the hole.

Guy shakes his head in disgust and says, "Keep practicing, pal."

Arm chair quarterback. Should have tossed him a disc and say let's see it? Things do look easier from the sidelines though sometimes. If you never threw darts before you might think it's easy hitting triple 20's constantly too or breaking and running a game of 9 ball. You only truly appreciate the skill after trying it yourself.

Sounds like a great opportunity for me to dig my disc out of the thorns that are short and left.

Arm chair quarterback. Should have tossed him a disc and say let's see it? Things do look easier from the sidelines though sometimes. If you never threw darts before you might think it's easy hitting triple 20's constantly too or breaking and running a game of 9 ball. You only truly appreciate the skill after trying it yourself.

I read it differently...
Saw the fellow in the story as a older guy with limited options and low-self esteem, possessed by the knowledge that not only would he never accomplish such a feat, but it also stirred no desire in him to even try.

so he snubbed you with a sarcastic one-up-man dig...OR the proverbial 'sour grapes'...

this is an interesting phenomena.
i wonder, if the lack of affective display has something to do with the supposed diminishment of social skills in younger generations...people who are truly depressed cannot even rise from bed each day, so i doubt it is that...maybe it's that they've not yet figured out how to get their dopamine hit during play...

I have to admit, sometimes I am this zombie player.

I struggle with depression and PTSD. Some days its so overbearing but I know I have to do something to keep my mind busy. I do make a conscience effort to at least look and go through my pre shot routine, but, its still zombie mode. Disc golf has literally saved my life...

I think alot of zombie's could be the same way. A buddy i play with all the time goes through the same thing, and for some reason I think that's why we hang out and play together. It's a tough battle but try and throw a wave at random's every now and again, some people have no idea the positive impact a small friendly gesture has on a zombie golfer.

TV

Saw another one.

Dude is walking up to the tee, never changing his stride, throwing about a 150 foot hyzer, picking up his disc in stride and repeating again. So he is releasing his disc about 25 to 30 feet in front of his lie for approaches and probably 50 feet in front of his lie for putts because he is taking practice swings as he is still walking. Anything within about 60 feet is a drop in.

I'm putting on 5 and he is on 4's tee and I'm watching him to let him play through when he catches me. He throws from 4's tee to 5's basket because 4 is a blind shot. Hole 6 is a low ceiling tunnel shot and I throw about a foot too high and drop at about 100 feet out from the tee. I walk to my shot and turn left to track him and THWACK! Disc hits me in the back. Fortunately a lid. I attempt to tell him that the courtesy is to not throw into people, but he is already 30 feet past and throwing his shot before I get it out.

As I'm putting this hole, I see him throwing into a crowd on 8 and I see arms flailing and pointing but he never stopped walking.

I've looked into this and discovered that they are all just late for a rave....all of them....every day.
They're probably just trying to find the map point.

Do rave map points even exist anymore or am I just aging myself?

If grabbing a putter and just jogging a couple of laps around the usually-empty nine-hole shorty course to get a little cardio is wrong, I don't want to be right.

drugs have created an increase of "zombie's" at my local course, it really is a shame... Luckily the disc golfers help some of the shenanigan's down!

Latest posts