• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeve: foot fault run ups

Sorry I missed a Stand&Deliver discussion. One day we visionaries will win out, and it will be all S&D after the tee shot.

Just wait and see how S&D plays out at USDGC this year -- a place where 2nd and 3rd shots are common.

Ball golf comparison fails. In Ball golf they ALWAYS stand and deliver, so their option doesen't change between the tee and the fairway. I'm pretty sure there is no rule against the Happy Gilmore slapshot and one could do that on the fairway if they wanted.

Creating a stand and deliver rule would unnecessarily alter this game.

Man up and call foot faults. I usually say (quietly out of range of the group) "did you know you were way off your mini on that throw?" That's usually enough to act as a deterrent for the rest of the round. If they react badly, I have no problem calling a foot fault the next time I see it.

Sorry I missed a Stand&Deliver discussion. One day we visionaries will win out, and it will be all S&D after the tee shot.

Just wait and see how S&D plays out at USDGC this year -- a place where 2nd and 3rd shots are common.

Terrible idea IMO, taking away the ability to follow through will be extremely hard on the knees of players going for much distance from the fairway. I still think the problem is part of our larger issue of players not wanting to call rules violations on each other. That needs a shift in the way we look at the game, not another rule.

Ball golf comparison fails. In Ball golf they ALWAYS stand and deliver, so their option doesen't change between the tee and the fairway.

Ball golfers don't have to stand still. As silly as Happy Gilmore was, in theory, a golfer could do that, no problem.

I'm still waiting on grodney to explain his USDGC S&D comment...

The proper way to define stand and deliver is that the foot behind your mark must remain in contact with the playing surface until balance is demonstrated. I throw this way often and it puts no more stress on the knees than an X-step.

If the PDGA actually adopts S&D as a rule, they will lose so many tournaments' sanctioning.

I'm confident in saying it's not going to happen.

Terrible idea IMO, taking away the ability to follow through will be extremely hard on the knees of players going for much distance from the fairway. I still think the problem is part of our larger issue of players not wanting to call rules violations on each other. That needs a shift in the way we look at the game, not another rule.

well said

Stand and deliver is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just call them if they foot-fault. The second time it happens, it is s stroke. They will quit doing it soon.

I don't mind a few inches in an open field on a 250+ foot shot, but I call every foot-fault violation on shorter shots, or where trees or obstacles are involved.

We don't need a stupid stand-and-deliver rule. Just need people to make the correct calls and inform the players that foot-fault that what they are doing is illegal.

Like I have said, requiring S&D to eliminate foot faults is like requiring a minimum distance between a player and defender in basketball to eliminate fouls.

I've found that if someone is blatently cheating, Karma always gets them in the end. If you worry about it too much your game will go to crap and if you call them on the little things your mind will drift from focusing on playing to worrying if someone is mad at you. Just play your game and beat them even if they're cheating. That's my philosphy.

I agree that people need to start calling the rules when they are broken. Better yet why not just everyone start playing by the rules and stop trying to find loop holes or making excuses why the game is too hard to follow the rules. :rolleyes:

Ball golfers don't have to stand still. As silly as Happy Gilmore was, in theory, a golfer could do that, no problem.

You should have read the second entrance in my post where I made exactly that comment.thanks for agreeing worth me though:thmbup:

Yesterday I was talking with another designer about this and hatched the idea that maybe we should allow run-ups but your follow thru stance had to finish behind the marker. That way it would be much easier to make the foot fault call because the player could see where they landed. If you were kneeling and lunging, the same thing applies, you land behind your mark. I would consider extending the line back to maybe 50 centimeters versus the current 30cm and maybe making the width equal to your disc 21-22cm. You could use a mini but then your width is only the width of your marker. You would allow players to either leave their thrown disc as the marker like current rules or actually use another full size disc as the marker.

Yes, you'd have to deal with clowns who try to throw from 40 feet back and continue running up to stop behind their mark. But that's much easier to call than what's required now. This proposed change would also deal with putt jumping, even allowing release in the air as long you properly landed behind the mark.

I heard that USDGC was using S&D this year. Not surprising -- they've gotten rules variances approved almost every year, i.e they seem to be on the cutting edge of competitive philosophy.

By the way, those of you opposed to S&D just don't get it. Someday you will. It has very little to do with foot faults, and has everything to do with making it a better game.

By the way, those of you opposed to S&D just don't get it. Someday you will. It has very little to do with foot faults, and has everything to do with making it a better game.

Explain