• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet peeves about filming disc golf

Moify

Birdie Member
I have just noticed this in a few videos recently...

It's the single most annoying (and nauseating) thing that I see when people film tournaments.

They go about half way down the fairway, and basically have you looking at the disc golfer head-on. Then, after the person throws, they rapidly pan the camera, making it look like a Blair Witch rip-off, and frantically shake the camera until you maybe get to see the disc finish/skip.

Why?

Just sit by the basket, or somewhere where you can see the entire flight of the disc. Even if you manage to pan with the disc in frame, none of us will be able to see the disc's flight path, let alone the course layout.

I'm basically just ranting. So feel free to agree, or mention other things you'd like to see improved in disc golf filming, or just troll this thread.

What else would you like to see improved?

Last edited:
I don't want to see any more tap in putts on film. We know they are not going to miss. If they DO miss, then show us that, like Philo's ridiculous miss last year. Otherwise it's a waste of time to watch four or five guys bend over and throw their discs 4 feet into the basket.

A) its not filming its shooting
B) they dont shoot the whole lenght because they do not have the lense power to do so.
I assume most use anywhere from a 17x to possibly a 26x even if they have a doubler that doesnt tank the quality its still not gonna be great.

I'm in on the tap ins for sure it doesn't add any quality to the film and is not entertaining to watch

A) its not filming its shooting
B) they dont shoot the whole lenght because they do not have the lense power to do so.
I assume most use anywhere from a 17x to possibly a 26x even if they have a doubler that doesnt tank the quality its still not gonna be great.

lol really dude. ponder me this. if the main guys filming dont have the correct lense power how can we see the discs entire flight when they "shoot" behind the thrower?

i agree that i'm not a huge fan of the sit halfway down the fairway technique. it's okay for a few shots but when a majority of the video is done that way i just turn it off.

i also don't like it when they sit right over the shoulder of the person putting so you have no idea what the depth of the shot is. marty has really gone more and more in to this and it's one of the few things i just really dislike about his vids. the other being how he has pretty much just started filming final 9's which are usually boring because the tournament is often over by then. he filmed every round at the kc open but round 3 where all the action happened and not once did he film the lead card. by the final 9 paul was up so much it was over, i didnt even want to watch the final 9 and when i did it was boring.

Having to wait for new youtube videos! Sheesh, don't they know my insatiable hunger for new tournament footage must be fed on a nightly basis?!

Are you talking about random videos or tournaments? Because if it's tournaments I think the OP is a little over done. Saying they are filmed like the blair witch? Might want to watch some more DG vids because that isn't the cause with about all the ones I've watched (tournaments that is).

The number of times the camera view is blocked by Ricky Wysocki's head.
this is an epidemic! Please when filming just yell at ricky to move, we can't see the disc!!!

I am loving all the great footage we have been getting this year from the CCDG Guys, Mc Fly, Spin TV and others. If there is one critique I could say it is a trivial one for sure. On Marty's video's lately he is either getting quick shoted or is just editing a little too much out. Lots of times when he cuts to the next throw the throwing motion has already begun. I am probably in the minority here but I like a few seconds to watch the guy set up for the shot.

Note: quick shoted is a term for when you film someone like Cam Todd who takes little to no time at all to throw so it is hard to get set up to catch his whole shot.

I'm with the OP on this one. With the camera swinging around that fast we lose all perspective on where the disc is at on the fairway. I like the over the shoulder behind the tee pad shot. Behind the basket can be fine too.

I don't mind them showing the tap in putt if they show the score that person took on the hole right then. Otherwise it's a waste of time. I try not to critique them too much because A) I'm not paying for it and B) I can't do better myself.

this is an epidemic! Please when filming just yell at ricky to move, we can't see the disc!!!

I am loving all the great footage we have been getting this year from the CCDG Guys, Mc Fly, Spin TV and others. If there is one critique I could say it is a trivial one for sure. On Marty's video's lately he is either getting quick shoted or is just editing a little too much out. Lots of times when he cuts to the next throw the throwing motion has already begun. I am probably in the minority here but I like a few seconds to watch the guy set up for the shot.

Note: quick shoted is a term for when you film someone like Cam Todd who takes little to no time at all to throw so it is hard to get set up to catch his whole shot.

I am one that hates to see the setup because it has little to no importance to me. I don't like seeing guys routines in person and I definitely don't like seeing them on film! Everyone has their own taste and I believe whatever the person shooting the film wants to do is all good. I'm going to watch either way haha

I try not to critique them too much because A) I'm not paying for it and B) I can't do better myself.
Well said.

Nonetheless, if it is Central Coast commentary :thmbup: going on and shooting those tap-ins give them a chance to wrap-up their take on the hole, then ok. Otherwise, just give us the scores because no one else can give commentary like them (btw - nice try disc golf guy).

You know what grinds my gears about disc golf filming? That we don't have boon cranes and blimps and 8 camera crews per hole with live commentary happening on every hole. MAN, that's so frustrating.

I hate zoom. Yes I'm talking to you McFly. It's not so much you but it's your intern. Teach her to shoot.

But I appreciate what you're doing and keep the footage coming.

You know what grinds my gears about disc golf filming? That we don't have boon cranes and blimps and 8 camera crews per hole with live commentary happening on every hole. MAN, that's so frustrating.

I only watch Central Coast tournament coverage. They had a sweet drone cam at the beginning of one of their vids. Even though it just went straight up and didn't pan, it was awesome, and had me immediately questioning why they don't pimp that sucker out more often. A drone cam in the middle of the fairway that could do a birds eye from the fairway would be sweet. Probably asking too much, but also probably the best way to get on The Ocho.

I like how Central Coast uses a pic to point out the basket with an arrow, and I enjoy reading what disc they're throwing. I also manage to grab choice lines from the great commentary. I'm starting to say "working it" and "death putt" a lot. And of course, "Gotta want it."

Intros. I don't want an intro that is any longer than three seconds. I really hate long segments trying to set the scene or provide unnecessary text. Just get me into the action.

I must say I'm most appreciative of all of those contributing to DG footage, with that said, here are some things I like/dislike

Things I like:
1. "Over the shoulder" on drives showing the entire flight path of the disc
2. For those with 2 cameras, watching the landing up close is a sweet bonus.
3. Overlays showing the disc thrown (I love this when done)
4. Commentary - it makes it much, much better to watch. Some are better than others but in almost all cases commentary is better than none.
5. Updates showing the scores / standings between holes.
6. Freeze frames of the hole with distance / pars / even better if you can see the basket / fairway from the shot shown.
7. Overlays showing par, birdies, etc as they happen.

Things I don't like:
1. Poor camerawork which doesn't allow us to easily track the disc due to either zoom, shaky cam, or poor video quality.
2. Showing all tap ins. zzzzzzzzzz. Unless it is significant I don't need to see it. The only exception is when it is shown with good commentary going on which I'm focusing on as they clean up.
3. Only focusing on lead card of MPO.

Latest posts