• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Philadelphia, Delaware, DC, Atlantic City

discgolfaholic

Bogey Member
I am flying out next week for my cousins wedding in Wilmington De. I will be in Wilmington for a few days then my wife and I are going to roam around since I have never been to the East Coast. I was thinking of hitting up Atlantic City, DC, Philadelphia and my wife wants to see some Amish. We would be looking to play a course a day while traveling between places. I have looked at some courses but any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. My rough plan is to go from Wilmington to DC, DC to Amish area, Amish to Atlantic City, Finally Atlantic City to Philadelphia as that is where we fly out from. We will probably end up skipping one stop so that we have more time to explore one of the cities.

Thanks
Neil

You will be near lots of fantastic courses. What sort of courses do you like - woods, open bombers, short and technical?

Patapsco and Seneca Creek would be my recommendations for DC and Baltimore-area courses. Druid Hill in Baltimore is fun, but the neighborhood is a bit rough. Rockburn Branch has some very fun holes, and not far off the highway.

Near Harrisburg, Gifford Pinchot State Park has two courses: Quaker's Challenge is very challenging, and Boulder Woods is a short but fun warm-up or cool-down (or both - you can play it quickly). Codorus State Park also has two courses on site - Red is more wooded, and Blue more open.

If you are near Lancaster, Muddy Run is a new course that sounds fantastic.

Lots of fine Philly-area courses. I have played Tyler SP, which is sweet (but see thread about Emerald Ash Borer), and I hear excellent things about Nockamixon, Jordan Creek, Blue Mountain, and Camp Sankanac (if open).

Stafford Woods in NJ is not far off I-95 and supposed to be very good.

Scarboro Hills is a bit of a haul from the highway, but has quite a few memorable holes.

Iron Hill looks epic - there are videos on Disc Golf Monthly.

I work near Seneca Creek, so if you would like a tour guide let me know and we can see if schedules align.

Have fun!

I am flying out next week for my cousins wedding in Wilmington De. I will be in Wilmington for a few days then my wife and I are going to roam around since I have never been to the East Coast. I was thinking of hitting up Atlantic City, DC, Philadelphia and my wife wants to see some Amish. We would be looking to play a course a day while traveling between places. I have looked at some courses but any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. My rough plan is to go from Wilmington to DC, DC to Amish area, Amish to Atlantic City, Finally Atlantic City to Philadelphia as that is where we fly out from. We will probably end up skipping one stop so that we have more time to explore one of the cities.

Thanks
Neil
Neil, that sounds like a fantastic trip, if you like driving in traffic. DC is epic.

Stafford Woods in NJ is not far off I-95 and supposed to be very good.

Stafford Woods is top notch; but keep in mind that it will closed for the state championships on 13th and 14th. OP didn't mention specific dates so just fwiw.

Haha! Yeah D.C. Traffic is an experience. Just stay off 270/495/95 during rush hour if you can. The long way WILL be faster

Not to derail, but yeah...my morning 66-->495-->95 in this rain. My morning has been less than awesome today.

Back on topic, I certainly would 2nd/3rd the above for DC area. You can't go wrong with Seneca or Patapsco.

Haha! Yeah D.C. Traffic is an experience. Just stay off 270/495/95 during rush hour if you can. The long way WILL be faster

Good point. Also keep in mind that rush hour lasts from oh-dark-thirty to 9:00 am, and then from 3:30 to 7:00 pm. :doh:

Agreed, unless you just want to balance out the trip to Amish country.
The only good thing about Atlantic City is Levon Helm's version of the Springsteen song.

Last edited:
You'll be sad if you don't play Iron Hill. It's a gold course that's permanently installed, 10,000+ ft. My favorite course. Not to far away from Wilmington, it's in Newark.

If you want to see the definition of East Coast Wooded Monsters, there are two absolute must-plays in that region.
Iron Hill and Nockamixon.

Here's my suggestion: Iron Hill (long cement tees to short silver baskets unless your a pro then play long baskets) and Seneca (27 holes) are both must play's if you want to play the best in the region.

near Lancaster, Roland Pk in Arkon, PA Amish country is scenic nice course with 27 holes.

I'm near Stafford or Sedgley if you need a guide after 2:30 on weekdays.

Last edited:
If your staying in Wilmington play Brandywine while your there. Get a locals car though. The out of state parking fees are crazy. It's $8 for the day and you can use it at the other parks the same day. Iron hill is the must play in Delaware though and it's free.

Ship Rock is cool out Lancaster way. Roland is nice too, but Ship Rock felt more special to me.

Iron Hill and Nockamixon are great suggestions. If you need a guide around Nocky drop a PM.

Ship Rock is cool out Lancaster way. Roland is nice too, but Ship Rock felt more special to me.
I'm the opposite, I much prefer Roland to Ship Rock, however the new kid in town, Muddy Run is primo!

Latest posts