• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Philly Courses

dobsonr

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
going up to Philly for a few days later this month and hoping to get in a round. any suggestions on courses not too far from the city? i'd like to find a place that wouldn't be too insane on the weekend if it's possible, but quality of course is most important. thanks.

Well, if quality is most important drive 40 mins North up I-95 and play Tyler SP. You will not be disappointed. If you're looking for a course in Philly head over to Sedgley Woods. It gets mixed reviews, but having lived right near there for almost 3 years and enjoying that course i will always recommend it. Though be warned, it is crowded on weekends. What days will you be around?

Probably just Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon. I'm going to have to convince the Lady to go play while we're in town but I think it can be done. Haha. I'm not quite sure when I'll be able to make it but it'd be a waste of a trip to not check out at least one course, right?

I'm planning on moving up to the Philly area this summer so I'll definitely look to check out Tyler then. Thanks man.

I'm not quite sure when I'll be able to make it but it'd be a waste of a trip to not check out at least one course, right?

Heck yes. Anymore doesn't traveling mean playing a new course? Go for Sedgley then.

Definately check out Tyler! Its a Phenominal course and in amazing condition. Sedgley is fun too, but yes, crowded on the weekends (and dangerous...tees are close to previous baskets). Another one to check out would be Tinicum. It's maybe 15 minutes from Tyler so its a further drive, but it's another option. Plus, Tinicum is near New Hope which has a really cool, artsy Main Street (you'll drive right through it) that maybe you could drop your lady off (if she doesn't play) and she could do a little shopping and walking around.

Sedgley is usually crowded on the weekend afternoons, the mornings are not. Discs for sale at the course during must weekend afternoons. Tyler is great wooded course, I gave it 4.5 starts in my review.

Sedgley is really the only course if you are in town for the weekend, and want to stay in the city. I love the course; one of my favorites - the local club is great too!

Get there early, bring bug spray and you'll be set...

Brandywine is just 30 miles south of the Philadelphia airport. So you say you are driving up to Philly, I assume you live south of Philly, so you could hit up Brandwine on the way up or down. It is a nice open course with a lot of distance and elevation change.

Is it far from 95? I live in Richmond so I'll be taking 95 straight to Philly.

My new favorite course on the way up to Philly is Scarboro Hills -- ~ 1 hour from the city, I think, and not far off of 95. It's a great exit with a new Chick-Fil-A next door to an awesome beer/wine store with all kinds of great microbrews... then the course is a good mix of shots, really beautiful, and not too long to play with a wife/girlfriend. My girlfriend has only been playing a few months, and not too seriously, but she and I had an awesome time dropping by there on a trip up to NY recently (from DC). I would highly recommend that as a stop on the way up... incredibly friendly for beginners, but enough challenge and interest for pros. and lovely views...

Is it far from 95? I live in Richmond so I'll be taking 95 straight to Philly.

I just played Brandywine about a week ago. I think its like 10 min. off 95. If you go to the course review there are very good directions on how to get there off of 95. (It's technically in DE)

Latest posts