• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Philo Brathwaite ITB 2016

Streets

* Ace Member *

You don't need 10+ molds to ball on the course. Philo does it with 5.

Wow, that's a lot of Rocs.

His ability to range those Rocs (from 175' tunnel shots to 350' holes) sure is something else. Still kinda surprised he doesn't have a roller mold in there.

^^ yeah i was thinking the same thing. I know i have seen him toss some FH rollers but cant remember a time where i saw him throw a bh one.. i would assume he uses his flippyiest destro.

His ability to range those Rocs (from 175' tunnel shots to 350' holes) sure is something else. Still kinda surprised he doesn't have a roller mold in there.

Ian from CCDG mentioned at BSF that hes never seen philo throw a backhand roller, so that kind of explains it. Tho he wouldn't really need a roller mold per se, a trashed roc and a flippy destroyer would do the job fine.

It's nice to see that old school cycling and mold minimization hasn't completely gone extinct.

I liked the vid, and like his set up, but it does make me laugh a bit. Just because it's the stereotypical sponored innova player bag.

Ian from CCDG mentioned at BSF that hes never seen philo throw a backhand roller, so that kind of explains it. Tho he wouldn't really need a roller mold per se, a trashed roc and a flippy destroyer would do the job fine.

I thought he could make those do but a member of the flippy speed 9 family (trashed Valk, Sidewinder, RoadRunner) is better for controlled distance. It is wild to think to he doesn't have a BH roller being a SoCal guy.

I like Philo but I just couldn't break my bag down to 5 molds. No way. The thought of it gives me a headache. Especially when you have the massive fleet of Innova/Discmania to choose from? Whatever works for him. Who am I but a lowly advanced player.

Glad to see him playing so well. Seems like one of the good guys.

Last edited:
Pretty easy to get a good cycle going if: (1) you get to hand pick your discs from the factory stacks and find, for example, Teebirds that start from Beefy to simply stable; and, (2) you play every single day and therefore beat discs through a cycle fairly quickly.

Also, he only throws DX Rocs and Aviars (well, and that one 2006 Big Eye Roc that he has been throwing for 8+ years).

I've always admired the simplicity of his game though -- especially his Rocs and Aviars.

Pretty easy to get a good cycle going if: (1) you get to hand pick your discs from the factory stacks and find, for example, Teebirds that start from Beefy to simply stable; and, (2) you play every single day and therefore beat discs through a cycle fairly quickly.

Also, he only throws DX Rocs and Aviars (well, and that one 2006 Big Eye Roc that he has been throwing for 8+ years).

I've always admired the simplicity of his game though -- especially his Rocs and Aviars.

Well I'll be damned -- a new Champ Roc in Phil's bag. I guess we've learned how long it takes to beat the overstability out of a good champ roc - 2006 to 2016.

its minimal mold at five molds, but in no means a minimalist bag.

Philo has like 12 destroyers, 25 rocs, 15 aviars, in .0001 degrees of varying stability. That Upper Park Design bag was filled to the brim :p

cycling 8 rocs and 7 star destroyers takes a lot of time, organization and discipline!

its minimal mold at five molds, but in no means a minimalist bag.

Philo has like 12 destroyers, 25 rocs, 15 aviars, in .0001 degrees of varying stability. That Upper Park Design bag was filled to the brim :p

cycling 8 rocs and 7 star destroyers takes a lot of time, organization and discipline!

Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking.

And I will add that Philo has time to work his discs into the level of beat-in he needs. The casual player doesn't have that kind of time, and DG is not what feeds them. Ergo, different molds to suit the players' needs.

Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking.

And I will add that Philo has time to work his discs into the level of beat-in he needs. The casual player doesn't have that kind of time, and DG is not what feeds them. Ergo, different molds to suit the players' needs.

Most of us carry too many discs tho

Most of us carry too many discs tho

One can never carry too many. :)

Seriously, I get what you are saying. But seven Rocs, five Destroyers, couple of Teebirds and Firebirds, four putters... that's 20 discs. Fewer molds, but no real difference than an understable mold, stable mold, overstable mold in four speed levels plus some putters, etc. different ways of getting to a complete bag...

But quite a few players have all the time in the world to pontificate over what molds they think their missing, browse charts, search threads and then talk themselves into buying for an artificial dreamed need. In that same amount of time they could have just learned a few molds really well and probably would have quite a few in different states of wear for their time.

Different strokes for different folks. Some get better, others keep chasing discs.

Latest posts