• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phoenixville YMCA course in pa.....RIP

chris v

Today is a sad day for our sport. For those in the philadelphia area who play the course at the Phoenixville YMCA aka camp phoenix...the YMCA has made the disappointing decision to remove the baskets from the property. The course is done and the baskets are already gone.

Despite our dedicated efforts to convince management to reconsider, they incorrectly associate all the litter, beer bottles and vandalism to disc golfers. The reality is that these issues will be worse without us, as we have always been the ones who clean up and maintain the property.

If you read this, and have regularly enjoyed playing this course please know that I did everything in my power to save it and Im pretty devastated that I failed. In the end, the solutions i presented to ymca could not overcome the negative stereotype that this sport still has in the minds of those who dont understand it and dont want to understand it.

RIP camp phoenix

That's a bummer. Is there any way they might preserve the pole holes/tees and perhaps reinstall the baskets later if they see that the litter is the same? Maybe with a small player's fee in the future? Or possibly they'd sell the baskets to a local club to use elsewhere?

The stereotypes suck for sure, and sadly a great many disc golfers (all levels of play) do perpetuate it with their actions. Sorry you guys got pegged for a problem that wasn't yours.

Latest posts