• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phone corrects PDGA to PGA

The Ox

Birdie Member
Recently got a Galaxy S4 and it just autocorrected PDGA to PGA in a text message.

How can we fix this ?

by making disc golf into a real sport.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

seriously though, you can typically add things to your smartphone's wordbank manually. it should be the same on yours. not sure what the S4 is running but on my experia z1 i get a list of suggestions as i'm typing that includes the word i actually want to use. before i hit "space" i simply tap on it and it will remember it for next time. alternatively you can turn autocorrect off, which i do.

Download Swiftkey keyboard. Link it to your email and social media. Let it learn how and what you type. Rejoice.

My computer won't let me type hyzer with out keying back, stupid thing. I want Hyzer not HYPER!!!

I will have to look into that program.

Just be careful, pretty soon your phone will learn and you won't be able to type non dg words.
For example; understandable becomes understable. Then you will never get anything done!

by making disc golf into a real sport.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

seriously though, you can typically add things to your smartphone's wordbank manually. it should be the same on yours. not sure what the S4 is running but on my experia z1 i get a list of suggestions as i'm typing that includes the word i actually want to use. before i hit "space" i simply tap on it and it will remember it for next time. alternatively you can turn autocorrect off, which i do.

You nailed it.

The question was in no way about settings on my phone, and trust me, the PDGA is on speed dial.

It was more about how can we change this perception and legitimize the sport ?

In Charlotte this year, we will be "formally reserving" courses for PDGA singles rounds on Saturdays.

Plus, Park and Rec will be running a Youth League at two different courses.

You nailed it.

The question was in no way about settings on my phone, and trust me, the PDGA is on speed dial.

It was more about how can we change this perception and legitimize the sport ?

In Charlotte this year, we will be "formally reserving" courses for PDGA singles rounds on Saturdays.

Plus, Park and Rec will be running a Youth League at two different courses.

i wish i knew how, honestly. i was kind of furious to hear that one of our best courses, lakewood hills, could not be reserved for am worlds. it blew my mind. clearly something has to be done on a large scale to get people's attention; the people pitching in and cleaning and making improvements are not making any sort of impression on the local gov'ts that make these sorts of decisions - at least here.

i hope mcfly and the disc golf guy and whoever takes video are the precursors to that. also brandname recognition...purses/money . . . i got a peek at deity's dryfit and damn if it isn't sick looking. seriously classy, looks like a real professional would wear it.

Someday we shall replace typing with a device that can carry our voice, as a primary form of communication.

To legitimize the sport, we should focus on local growth in organized leagues.

The sport will not advance by wearing polo shirts and posting videos.

Funny. My phone just changes 'golf' to 'home'. Somewhat annoying. Switching 'I'm going downtown for a pint' to 'I'm going downtown for a shot' is somewhat funny. That's what I get for using a 10 year old phone that just wont die. ;)

I agree. I also don't think ESPN will ever consistently cover DG tournaments, but that won't prohibit our growth either.

Something tells me that shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc, aren't the issue.
When was the last time you saw anyone on the X games wearing a polo shirt?

For that matter, why aren't they called the Y games. Generations have changed over....

For that matter, why aren't they called the Y games.
That actually seems appropriate, because I sometimes wonder Y they are on.

Of course, if disc golf ever got any tube time, I'm sure a lot of folks would wonder the same thing.

So, I'm curious, in which way are we talking about growing the sport? More new players or more/any TV coverage?
I agree leagues probably are the best way to increase player numbers,look at pool,darts, bowling, etc.. Polos won't make or break it but it's better than having to tell someone to put their MOOBS away.

As far as TV coverage....and this is coming from someone who actually enjoys watching golf......I have never seen DG coverage that was actually compelling to watch as a tournament or round. I watch cuz I like DG and I need a fix. Same reason I had BMX Bandits on VHS, not because it was good, cuz it was the only bmx onTV ten years before the X games

My old phone's T9 used to change "skate" to "slave" when I texted... because, you know, people text the word "slave" so often.

Something tells me that shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc, aren't the issue.
When was the last time you saw anyone on the X games wearing a polo shirt?

For that matter, why aren't they called the Y games. Generations have changed over....

It's because the sports are XTREME! DG will never be as cool as Street Luge ;)

Latest posts