• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phone Numbers on Back

If you find someone else's marked property, you have no idea how it came to be there. Do the morally right thing and call the number. It's really not that complicated.

Agreed...if they didn't go to the hassle of fishing it out...they didn't want it bad enough. You did the work...I don't care if they see you playing with it on the course or not. They saw were it went in and DID NOT retrieve it. I know I just threw a new disc in water at my local course. I didn't go in after it and if I see someone playing with it sometime...more power to them. They got it...it's theirs.

I've lost exactly one disc in a water hole. I instantly took off my shoes and socks, hiked up my shorts and went wading in murky water. 20 minutes later I had combed the entire area i was sure that it had landed in, with no success. I then ruined a perfectly good towel drying the mud off my feet so that I could get back into my footwear. Point being:

Don't assume that just because you find a disc in the water, nobody looked for it, and that they don't want it back. I put my name and number on the back for a reason. Sure, maybe it's naive to expect a phone call, but that doesn't change the intent. If you want to charge a finder's fee, that's your prerogative, but don't assume I abandoned it and don't want it anymore.

hey pointdisc i said because of the attitude of "some" of the people that write their info on their discs.

I made no mention of their attitude related to returning a disc. Its just their attitude in general , their always pissed off about someone being a jacker or how they lost this discs and no one called them and i know someone stole it , and their attitudes off the course and not related to disc golf is also very angry and selfish.

of course when you return a disc they are in a good mood but how about the rest of the time , like when they talk about how they are in good shape and work out, in see through attempt to try to hide a threat.

Last edited:
I know I posted this on another thread but itbshould be stated again: don't assume that because it's in water, the owner is done looking. Some possibilities are they were playin before work, at night, or didn't take the car with the rake, g. retriever, and the walgreens raft. Or a Twinkie bandit found it on another hole and decided they'd rather toss a disc they didn't pay for. I know as soon as the leaves fall I'm checkin a couple spots I've thrown into, if any #s are found I will call.
My thought on people that try to find stashes of discs when they don't have a disc in there is that they are like the kids that take all the Halloween candy off the porch- shame on you. Now people have no chance of a lost one found one. Now everyone remember the first time you found a disc- you could probally care less about the original disc. Do we really want to steal those moments?
Thanks to the guy that called me bout my avenger that was in the water. I looked but was pressed for time and planned to come back. I turned in a disc from there the week before:)

Personally i think you should call them back. However if you pull out 15 with numbers and return them all for free...there goes your time and money, not counting the time you spent pulling them out.

Call on a few, keep a few, thats my suggestion. On the same hand. if you can pull out 20 a week, thats still 5 free discs + the fact that you helped out 15 people.

I have done some pond/gunk swimming in the early spring and would usually pull out at least 40 in 1 hour. I would put post-it notes on each disc and log my attempts to reach the parties. After I was satisfied there was no interest (usually 2-4 messages or calls) I would keep the discs - almost always to give away to noobs.

Here was my favorite part (DavidSauls has alluded to it): the feeling I got from the response of many grateful owners was very cool. Christmas for some who were getting their go-to driver back, amazement from some who had never gotten a call, laughter from some who could not believe I went diving in that pond, appreciation with a "thanks but no thanks - you can keep it"

.....and for all of them it was a pleasant conversation and a cool chance for me to help expand the circle of the friendly disc golf fraternity.

I return discs i find with numbers, not because i dont want the the disc, but for the fact that i feel good doing it. You know you did the right thing and nothing can be as good as that and maybe they will offer a trade for something you want more than the one you found. In the end, you will feel good if you call, but no one is making you. It's on you to make the right choice.

Just do the right thing. Call and don't require a "finder's fee".

Chances are that 1/2 of them will say keep it anyway and others will offer to trade or pay for it's return. You may even encounter someone like me......I'd be happy to pay up to $20 plus shipping to get my beloved Japan Open Monarch back.

......this thread brings to mind a quote, hopefully not misquoted or wrongly attributed to John Wooden:

"Sports don't build character. They reveal it."

So Craton,
I see 71 posts here and nothing since the first one from you.
What ya gonna do? Call or no?

It was more just up for debate. It was funny watching everyone feel that even though both cases were exhaustively proclaimed, that it was their duty to further the argument for their cause, albeit 30 folks had already made the exact same argument for this way or that before them.

As for me, it's tricky. The course I do it on is a private course for my school, so the argument about how I'm not legally allowed in the water is null and void. And we get a lot of people that go through our campus to play when they shouldn't be here at all. Usually, I'll check to see if it's anyone I know (often, it's a couple of Pro DG faculty that play it that toss most of the plastic in, ironically), ask a few friends if they've seen this person or that, and then just give them away or keep them until I do. One of the guys I play with (the aforementioned Pro) teaches a disc golf class at our university, and since it's only been going on for a few years, he usually can tell me who's disc is who's if it is a students. Very rarely do I actually even find discs with info on them; and the ones I have found I have for the most part called the owners.

One thing I would suggest to you guys who don't put your name/info on the disc: nickname your disc and write it on the back. You have no idea how much this can change finding a disc. I went from pulling a 150g Champ Valk up in disgust, to flipping it over and revealing it's name: "XENA" That flipping made my day for some reason; and every time I do find a disc like that, it's just great times.

If the course has a bulletin board of sorts or the owners have access to a site such as this, then maybe some kind of correspondence can be established to get the disc to it's rightful owner. That said, it is generally an unwritten rule of ettiquette, good sportsmanship and goodwill to offer a gesture of compensation for services rendered.

Last edited:
do you have my ace disc you A-8888 I WANT it back. Just kidding, hey bro there yours. If you find one with some sentimental writing on it. AKA ace disc or some sappy "love so and so" then call them, but i still hate you. i would love to think the nuke i aced a hole with is sleeping at the bottom of a lake, devout of people searching for it. now ill have to wake up in a cold sweat thinking that you found my nuke and that the phone was ringing so i woke up. i hope your kids get bad athletes foot!!!

from the first post I'll say this

I have thrown discs into the water, and spent an hour searching for them.

IF people put their names on their discs (notice the 'their') then you should at least call it.

Hey guys,

I have a burning question. I have recently started going into the lake, and found that if I spend about two hours out in a particular body of water, that I can pull 20 discs out. Here's my thing- These suckers are in a swamp NO one's going in, and I'm the only one that can seem to find anything. Yet I end up seeing about 80 percent of these suckers with phone numbers, and my enigma is this:

I know people put their phone number on the back of these so I'm assuming it's common courtesy to call them back. Yet if I spend 2 hours of my day collecting phone numbers and creating errands to run, what's the point? And if I don't want to go in for these discs, then who will? You can see my dilemma: get free discs and return them to their rightful owner, or leave them to be stuck in a swamp for all eternity. I am of the mind that if I go in and find them, they are mine, unless I know someone. What are your thoughts on this?

You have it right. The discs are yours. Keep them or if you want to call, request a small finders fee.

SCUBA

I've seen a guy with scuba gear go into a lake and pull over 80 discs out. He then sold them all for 2 bucks a piece to a bunch of kids. After thinking about that for a while I wondered what I would do had I found that many. If you found 50-60 discs with names and numbers on them that would take lot of time to contact all those owners, leaving messages, having 50 people randomly calling back, calling many back 2 or 3 times,..... You get my drift, phone tag can get annoying with one person. That becomes quite the job. Any thoughts on a situation like that?