• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick my fairway driver

Which fairway driver should I throw exclusively?

• Discmania FD

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Latitude 64 River

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Innova TL

Votes: 37 35.9%

• Total voters
If you play 3 rounds a week, your DX won't go through their complete life cycle for months. I would suggest until Labor Day.

If find yourself getting bored with your disc selection, add one more driving disc. If you want a different one, take the first added one out.

One of the main benefits of minimizing your molds, is to learn how to throw the same disc for multiple shots. Learning this skill will take some time. Patience (I know you don't want to hear that. :))

I suggest you stick with the same lineup all season. Calendar year works for me 'cause that's real easy and I play year round. But my vote is you should give it a year and see what you think next season.

That is a hardcore commitment! My other discs will be jealous, yearning to break free from the shelf!

OK, that was dramatic. Honestly, I only threw a couple other discs consistently anyway, so I don't think it will be a problem. I will need some premium plastic for the course we are putting in at my work (asphalt abounds), but that shouldn't be an issue.

You have so few molds, that you can have one premium plastic disc per mold for those needs, and still be able to give your DX a lot of use.

Good to see you making this commitment.

Yep, the FD is premium, so that is solid. I'll probably add a champ teebs for wind and a lighter star for heavy use. Throw a KC Roc in there and I should be good to go. Thanks for the input, I am actually really excited to do this.

Well the only one I've thrown out of the 3 choices is the Latitude 64 River and I liked it a lot so I chose that one. I hear good things about the TL as well though, I've never thrown the FD, but its stats look good as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

If you play 3 rounds a week, your DX won't go through their complete life cycle for months. I would suggest until Labor Day.

One of the main benefits of minimizing your molds, is to learn how to throw the same disc for multiple shots. Learning this skill will take some time. Patience (I know you don't want to hear that. :))

I suggest you stick with the same lineup all season. Calendar year works for me 'cause that's real easy and I play year round. But my vote is you should give it a year and see what you think next season.

Based on both of your advice, I am assuming you have embarked on this same adventure before. Mind sharing some more details of your experience?

Mind sharing some more details of your experience?
After discing down and reducing my molds, I noticed the following:

1. My throws no longer wildly deviated off-course, because I wasn't throwing discs that I could not throw effectively and reliably. This was most notable on windy days, when all of those speed-overstable discs I had "never seemed to work right." :rolleyes: If my throw was off, I knew what it was I did wrong.

2. I wasn't accidentally choosing the wrong disc because "I had so many molds to choose from." The fewer choices made for more reliable disc selection.

3. My grip improved because I was using fewer molds, and the repetition of discs with exact/similar rims gave me more confidence, too.

4. I was able to get discs to fly on lines that I couldn't before. Hell, I hadn't even thought of using some of those discs for those shots before....

5. I fully learned how wear affects stablilty. Although I first started by throwing heavier discs for more stability and lighter discs for more workability, I soon learned that those lighter discs were stable enough when new, and very workable when worn. I embraced the "DX in wear stages" approach, and I am very happy with the results.

If you look at my bag in my signature, blue means base plastic only, purple means both base plastic and premium, and red means premium plastic only. The Gazelle is represented by a single glow Champ disc (and is only used when I can't throw anything else right, or if the sun goes down), while the Ion only comes premium plastic. The Firebirds/Teebirds/Eagles/Rocs are cycled DX (with one Champ Eagle-X). The Z/X Comets get little use because of so much wind around here, but I want to learn from them, and my Panthers are my escape discs.

So now, really, my core bag is FB-TB-EX-Roc-Ion. As long as I stay on the fairway, 90-95% of my shots are with these five molds. Although I don't consider myself to be actively in "disc down/mold reduction" mode, I effectively am with my bag.

I can't say that there was a single negative thing about the experience, but the best part, most definitely, is parking a hole with a Roc when my buddy is in the bush with his Nuke SS. :)