• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick the most stable disc

What is the most stable disc?

• Total voters
So any stable disc by your definition will not flip regardless of airspeed will fly straight if thrown flat?

Yes. But in golf throw, you have to account for user error (OAT) and wind causing oat on the disc. A comet thrown with 400' power on a small hyzer flip (to account for user error, I don't know anyone that can throw without ANY oat, let alone a perfect 0 degree release angle) it will flatten out and go 400'. I know a teebird will hold a line over 400' as well, then fade at the end.

An updraft moves up a slope from below creating an immense quantity of air below a disc and increasing glide in ways no headwind could match

That's what would concern me. I've been burned before going for slower discs, only to have them turn over and go really far off course.

I almost parked a Teebird on a 500ft hole, steep downhill, in the woods. Landed about 30 ft short and 20 ft to the right and it did make a slight turn and a slight fade back.

I threw the same Teebird down the same hill in the open on a 1500 ft hole, hoping for the nice long glide. It turned over landed about 200 ft to the right, over a bank, on the edge of the woods, only traveling about 400ft down the hill. I then watched two other guys throw Wraiths to about 700 ft...

My tactic now is to throw something fast and stable diagonally down the hill to the right and let the fade bring it back predictably.

That's what would concern me. I've been burned before going for slower discs, only to have them turn over and go really far off course.

I almost parked a Teebird on a 500ft hole, steep downhill, in the woods. Landed about 30 ft short and 20 ft to the right and it did make a slight turn and a slight fade back.

I threw the same Teebird down the same hill in the open on a 1500 ft hole, hoping for the nice long glide. It turned over landed about 200 ft to the right, over a bank, on the edge of the woods, only traveling about 400ft down the hill. I then watched two other guys throw Wraiths to about 700 ft...

My tactic now is to throw something fast and stable diagonally down the hill to the right and let the fade bring it back predictably.

Yes but could any of that been your fault, or the winds and not the stability of the disc?

Last edited:

I made the same mistake a couple of years ago at Telemark in WI. On hole 22 (I think) there's a steep downhill (50'-60' drop, could be considered a cliff shot) and I tried a Z Buzzz. The wind turned it right (without rolling it over) and it landed pin deep, but around 150' to the right in the woods! I threw a Z Pred the day before and was past the pin by 70'...

Although, if there's no wind (or slight tailwind) a perfectly stable buzzz should beeline for the pin without overshooting it.

73e1f27e.jpg

View at Telemark from hole 21. The white tee sign in the distance (between the chair lift supports) is place you throw from for hole 22. Pin for 22 is down the steep hill to the right of the picture.

Although, if there's no wind

I'm sure on a very calm day, it works, but I've play a ski hill course several times in the last year and have yet to see calm air on the main slope. I'm not arguing with you, don't take it that way, but it always presents an uncertainty to me. Could just be the timing of when I've played.

You know, the big problem is that I'd like to throw several drives to see what happens, but then I'd be lucky to find the discs.

Here's the hill I'm talking about...Campgaw in mahwah, NJ.

Hole 18 - 1500 ft, basket is just across the road at the bottom, on the rigth side of the lift lines (centered between the red shack and the tree line on the right). First few times, I would drive just a touch right, hoping to fade and land left of the lifts, then play my next drive across the right side. I did that with a DX Teebird that turned and landed in the woods off to the right, short of the first lift pole that you see, which is still 1000ft away.

Last play, I aimmed well right with a PD, allowing it to fade down the hill, landing on the rightside, even with the 2nd pole. Then I can play straight down to the basket.

590669a0.jpg

In finicky wind conditions on a downhill shot I do believe that an overstable disc (aimed to the right of the pin, and thrown at a downward angle) will generally be much more accurate than a stable or understable disc that could easily flip in the wind. But the same overstable disc thrown flat can fade out early and really far to the left (RHBH). Which is disastrous if thrown nose up from the top of a hill!

It's just a lot more exciting (although arguably riskier) to watch a stable disc make a beeline for the pin on a downhill shot!

In finicky wind conditions on a downhill shot I do believe that an overstable disc (aimed to the right of the pin, and thrown at a downward angle) will generally be much more accurate than a stable or understable disc that could easily flip in the wind. But the same overstable disc thrown flat can fade out early and really far to the left (RHBH). Which is disastrous if thrown nose up from the top of a hill!

It's just a lot more exciting (although arguably riskier) to watch a stable disc make a beeline for the pin on a downhill shot!

Oh, yes, the dreaded nose up fade shot! Been there, too. Or worse yet is the accidental hyzer release.

My shot here is to aim just a bit over the lift cables. It's enough air to get some nice distance, but still safe. Here, it's steepest at the top. The next two drives are more like normal downhill shots.

The road is also OB and a small loop surrounds the green, which isn't too much bigger than the 10m circle. So you either need two really good drives so that you can park your approach, or your laying up on three, crossing the road on four, and putting for five.

For a seeminigly wide open hole, par is a struggle. Can't make a mistake on any throw.

Last edited:
Theres a hole at the course I play thats down hill; not to the extent of what you guys are throwing but, conventional wisdom with down hill and throwing something that wont fade forever due to the height can bite you. The trick is to put something understable on a hyzer line or you wind up going straight into the woods on the right.

Heres a pic from the short tee which is at the bottom of the hill to the right of the long tee. You can see the tunnel up ahead
c54af8d9.jpg

I've tried taking a pic of the long for the site but it always seems to turn out bad. Need a better camera cause its one of my favorite shots.

I know JBowDown's played Hyland. For the comet shot (I did it twice btw), I just threw very very low and nose down. We watched it air bounce and fight turning over, and was dead center pin about a foot above the basket. If the air bounce before hadn't pushed it up, it coulda hit chains (not saying it woulda stayed at that speed/distance). So at that steep of an angle, it almost seemed to start going faster as it went down the hill. We all threw our entire bags at it, My comets were by far the best, followed by my crush I think. The closest disc to the pin outside of my comets was a leopard. The nukes, destroyers, katanas etc that everyone else threw? Way way way right in the crosswind.

That Comet would have been a sweet shot to watch from the tee! The closest I've been to hitting the basket on #18 at Hyland was with a Champ Eagle-X. Aimed it down, straight at the basket, turned very little, faded very little and it appeared to hit the flags above the basket! 2 or 3 feet lower...

Did you know there is a 25¢ optional Ace buy in for that hole. You have to buy in every time you play a league or tournament and I think you can only win it the day you bought in, but it has been accumulating money for the last 5 years or so...

That Comet would have been a sweet shot to watch from the tee! The closest I've been to hitting the basket on #18 at Hyland was with a Champ Eagle-X. Aimed it down, straight at the basket, turned very little, faded very little and it appeared to hit the flags above the basket! 2 or 3 feet lower...

Did you know there is a 25¢ optional Ace buy in for that hole. You have to buy in every time you play a league or tournament and I think you can only win it the day you bought in, but it has been accumulating money for the last 5 years or so...

I bet that's huge.... My X comet flipped over a little and was pin high about 30' right, the Z comet just stayed straight. Never faded, never turned.

I think that's the best way for that hole though, slower disc thrown down toward the basket (which doesn't sound near as extreme as it really is). Question though, did you make the putt? :p I didn't...

I have 2'd the hole a few times, but I don't remember if I did on that occasion (I was probably 40'-50' behind the pin). It was around the beginning of the 2009 season, I think it was a Sundog night.

Theres a hole at the course I play thats down hill; not to the extent of what you guys are throwing but, conventional wisdom with down hill and throwing something that wont fade forever due to the height can bite you. The trick is to put something understable on a hyzer line or you wind up going straight into the woods on the right.

How long is it? I'd probably throw a Meteor or X-Buzzz on a Hyzer-Flip. River or AvengerSS if it's longer?