• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pin Placements: How many is too many?

How many pin placements are too many?

• Only 1. No more.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 2-3 is perfect

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • 4-6 is acceptable if the hole can support it

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • As many as possible, up to 100, so the course can have many possibilities.

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
I have yet to see this done and aspire to get the IDGC to do it for the Steady Ed layouts now that the Red tees are completed and the "final" pin positions established. But I believe this is one aspect of professional course management that wouldn't be too hard to achieve as we continue to move into our interconnected DG future. I've heard where Patapsco does ABC pin rotations monthly but I'm not sure the specifics are posted on a website and course layouts are named with records maintained.

Wacodga.com has a pin location calendar posted for our local course with multiple pins. Sadly though no map with the locations...

Even for all the great things going for it, the Idlewild tee signs don't indicate which sleeve the baskets are located in. Last time I was there, several of the holes (2, 13, 16) with vastly different sleeve placements had both baskets in for each appropriate skill level. Same thing at Kereiakes except for the skill level part. Same shot on 2/3 of the shorts pretty much.

I think 2-3 pin placements with at least 2 tees per hole is what all course should strive for. No need for more pin placements but if there is room for more tees that is a nice option.

I have yet to see this done and aspire to get the IDGC to do it for the Steady Ed layouts now that the Red tees are completed and the "final" pin positions established. But I believe this is one aspect of professional course management that wouldn't be too hard to achieve as we continue to move into our interconnected DG future. I've heard where Patapsco does ABC pin rotations monthly but I'm not sure the specifics are posted on a website and course layouts are named with records maintained.

Brian @ Mont Du Lac has his pins set on a schedule, one week the odd numbered holes would be short, evens long, and then they rotate (maybe bi-weekly). This is the best setup I've seen so far, and while it works, there has to be a better option.

One thing my brother and I thought of was the ability to have some sort of LED display that lights up when the basket is moved, even if this is done manually. Some sort of switch within the teebox sign that the person who moves the pin could unlock, switch, and notify.

One pin, multiple tees...tired of trying to guess where pins are located
Courses with multiple pin placements need to have a system where they clearly mark the current pin location...I know some do but the ones I have played did not and I got really tired of walking each hole to locate the pin

One thing my brother and I thought of was the ability to have some sort of LED display that lights up when the basket is moved, even if this is done manually. Some sort of switch within the teebox sign that the person who moves the pin could unlock, switch, and notify

Shady Oaks DGC in Orangevale PA has a system somewhat like this, minus the light. Their tee signs have each of their 4 pin locations posted on it and below the sign, there is a metal ring with A-D stamped into it. When the pins are changed, the location they're in is the letter in the 12 oclock position.

I have rarely ever found this to be the case.
We have push pins that indicate the current position on a hole/pin matrix at the kiosk as well as washers on each tee sign that tell you where the pin is.

Our course changes once per month in between rounds at our monthly.

my home course has A, B, and C positions on every hole, and may also have short/long tees. thats 6 choices and its not ridiculous . . .

If theres room for alot use them. Theres a couple courses by me that have 4-6 per hole. As long as they're marked on the sign where they are i'm fine with it.

I like multiple tees but they need to be the same quality. We have Alt tees for the back 9 at the bEast in Waco but they're dirt and tend to get muddy.

Alternate sleeves can be a very nice thing, when done well. I like Chuck's points about having the extra sleeves "for a reason" and for the same skill level. The signage needs to be easy to follow and it's very easy to make it such that the negatives associated with confusion and aesthetics begin to outweigh the positives associated with more variety for locals.

Case in point:
bc5736a9.jpg

I voted for just 1. If done correctly, one is all that you should need. I believe 2 or maybe 3 on a few holes per course is doable IF (like someone said earlier) they do not change the difficulty of the hole. I personally do not like holes where one pin is 305 foot shot par three and another pin is a 450 foor par 4. It takes away from the integrity of the course.

Multiple tees for each skill Blue, White, Red on a single hole with a great pin location is the way to go. That way a Blue level player and a Red level player can play the round together and at the end the score between the two should be competitive (i.e. close).

Multiple pin placements are rare around here. As best I can there is only 1 course among the 30 closest to me that has them.

As it turns out, it's a course I play fairly often, and I find I'm not a big fan of this. For most of the holes with multiple positions, there is one I like considerably more than the others, and it's a bit of a let-down to reach the hole and find the basket in the less-favored position.

It's also hard to compare my scores to previous visits, since the moving baskets change the course significantly.

To my taste, the benefits of adding a little variety are offset by the drawbacks of doing so.

i think two is the best. at the course i play 15 of the holes have 2 pin positions, which is great. but when you get to hole 5, 7, and 18, there is 3. its simple enough with two. its either in pin a or b. with the holes with 3 how are you supposed to know if its in c. kepping it at a maximum of two pin positions is best in my opinion.

i think two is the best. at the course i play 15 of the holes have 2 pin positions, which is great. but when you get to hole 5, 7, and 18, there is 3. its simple enough with two. its either in pin a or b. with the holes with 3 how are you supposed to know if its in c. kepping it at a maximum of two pin positions is best in my opinion.

You raise another good point, I think two are enough on some holes (shorter ace runs) but then again, I enjoy consistency. At Riverside in St. Cloud, there are two positions on each sign, but in reality, there are actually three locations for the pins. I'm not sure if I'd expect to see the signs remade (they're etched in metal), or if a course designer has only one shot to make it right, which I also don't agree with.

Another poster mentioned how they don't mind 3 pin positions, with two tee pads, because then they have 6 different holes to play. I agree with this, as long as they are done right.

Another question, at Water Works in KC, some of the alternate pin positions have sleeves so you know where the other positions would be. What happens if you hit one? Do you play as it lies, or take another shot without penalty? I hit a post on the exact line I wanted, I was shooting like crap and this throw was actually a decent line, and I told my bro that it was B.S., and he allowed me to take another shot, which I threw on a slightly different line, and left a 10 footer for par.

My favorite is the 2 pads and two baskets option, where both baskets are permanently in the ground on each hole 24x7. Otherwise when you get beyond two sleeves per hole you run the risk of jumping the shark.

I like the guidelines that CK posted, but when has any of us seen a disc golf club that keeps the information on its website current to within a week or less? How many disc golfers are disciplined, responsible, punctual record keepers? Better to set up a schedule beforehand and post that on the website and on a sign near hole 1. Then you could compare today's date against the schedule and know where to expect the baskets to be (barring the club's failure to keep up with the schedule).

I think it's a tradeoff between what the course will support and how often (and how far) the locals are willing to schlep baskets.

Frxmpl, #1 at Water Works justifiably has several pins because the terrain is varied enough to support that many. They also have an active club that takes good care of the course and changes things up regularly.

OTOH, multiple pins on a course like this one (especially the back nine) would be a waste of time, energy, effort, gas, money, and anything else of value. My opinion, of course, so all you locals down there don't go hatin on me. Instead, go bash the courses I like - or better, do something to improve that course so more people will go out and play it! Plant a tree or twelve, and then put in some alternates!

There can only be one!

I am a fan of only one pin per skill level. Pick the best spot use it. The only good reason for multiple moving pins locations that I can think of is a wide open hole where pin movement helps develop player depth perception.

I am a fan of multiple permanent pin placements for different skill levels. Is it much easier to make a hole more difficult with a second pin placed in a precarious pin placement than to find extra length. Helps develop strong putting without frustration to lesser skill players. Example is Warwick with two tees and two pins on each hole. Color code pins!