• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Pine

I threw my two Pines in a field a little today. The only difference I could tell was that the TC Pine had less glide, I think it might be a little flatter than the stock Pine. By no means was this an exhaustive study.

BrotherD, I'm inclined to agree with you. I think the slight variation in dome is causing me a flight variation.

I think it is tied to how I grip the disc.
But I certainly don't know for sure.

I do like the Pine, I think it is close to my favorite disc. Seems to hit the sweet spot for me.

I hit chains Wednesday, pole today, all with a Pine from the Teepad.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a really solid mid range. It's like the Westside version of a Wasp or Aftershock in terms of stability. You can lay into it and get straight to fade all day. Not real dumpy but you can power down and get decent hyzers. Seems to like just a little bit of anny for flex shots b/c too much and it falls off the stability rail easily.

I'm pairing my Pine with a Moonshine Warship (among others).
If I need just a little flex I use the beat VIP Pine, if I need just a tad more flex I step down to the Moonshine Warship.

Actually using a 2 Pine / 3 Warship combo for 90% of all of my drives and totally loving it. Accuracy has gone up dramatically.

The fade becomes OK after a bit, you learn to play it. I have even been getting my TC Pine to give me an adequate skip.

But my regular pink VIP Pine is money for me.

If the basket is in range and center to left, I will park the pine

I was gonna get a Warship to play around with the Pine (seems like a bit of a gap between my Pines and Fuse) but they only had them in my least favorite colors at the store today. So I got a Bard instead to completely muddle stuff up. :|

My Tursas is fresh and beat Warship like, I might try an all Westside mid lineup for funsies.

My mid package has been Tursas-Compass-Bard for a while. But Warship and Pine get a round here or there too. Even Sling, or Buzzz, or even Ibex.

I do love my Westside mids tho, and throw all of them. I think it is Westside's best disc type, and the granularity between discs gets better with each release.

I'm really liking a Westside mid lineup

I've got Pines & Warships with a Tursas on the bottom.

Just switched to an Anvil on the top, we will see if it can holds its place. Very different than the Pine, Warship, Tursas.

I have tried the Bard but did not see a huge difference between a Fresh Pine & a Bard.

I may try it again one of these days

I have tried the Bard but did not see a huge difference between a Fresh Pine & a Bard.

Not as much in flight but the rim depth seems so much more on the Bard as well as the bead. Bard and Anchor felt interchangeable to me.

So far I like the Pine it feels so similar to Verdict, Compass, EmacTruth, Truth and Evidence.

My only concern because I don't throw the Pine often is will it hold the HSS for a long time? I have a TC one and so far so good but my Verdict all of the sudden started getting some turn to it, which is when I picked up the Pine. I don't actually bag the Emacs anymore and hardly throw the Evidence, but the Pine works so well in this lineup even if it isn't used much... usually throw a VIP or BTsoft Harp or power down a fairway... but when I want it I want flat straight flight with no turn and plenty of fade.

I was having the exact same issue, that is why I moved away from the Truth & Verdict.

They were exactly what I wanted when they were fresh, but then suddenly they develop HS turn.

I have not seen that issue with the VIP Pine. They do develop turn, but slowly & predictably. My most beat VIP Pine is now very similar to (albiet slightly shorter) VIP Warship.

Last edited:
I just picked up a VIP Bard (180g) and tossed it with the VIP Pine and you could make them fly similar lines but they're different enough to carry both I think. The Bard is really, really HSS and the fade is dumpier and more predictable than the Pine. Bard is going to go straight to fade every time but the Pine can work some sweeping hyzers, fade forward easier. I like them both, a lot. Pine should beat into a really nice line shaping straight mid.

My EmacTruths seemed to be right when they were off the shelf but developed HS turn quickly still retained some fade. My regular Lucid Truths always had turn but the fade went away with seasoning. I now have something that is very comet like in flight and the main pairing is the Compass that is also very straight but can take a lot of power and still be straight with minimal fade. I really like the Pine because the rim depth and overall feel in the hand matches these.

The warship I felt is deeper rim depth but maybe not as deep feeling as the Anchor/Bard. All VIP. My warship lost all HSS very quickly and is more squirly than my main workhorse Truth... its long but I don't think I can get much ore distance out if it than the truth because it is so US and doesn't have much use on it. For that Anchor/Bard type of flight I just use my VIP Harp. If I want a bit less dumpy fade then the BT soft Harp, and longer than the Harp I like the easy fade of the pine. Thus with all of the above its why I don't want the Pine to lose that HSS. Right now it fits in long straight and predictable fade and shot shaping right between an Opto Compass and VIP Harp. The compass and Verdict (I only have the one verdict so wasn't sure if mine was normal but sounds like it is) are a lot like Teebird and Eagle for me just speed 5. The Compasses have kept their HSS but start losing fade to just be longer and straighter like a Teebird and the Verdict has kept a good finish with developing HS turn like an Eagle. I really want that pine for the ~Banshee spot to keep the HSS and LSS.

My EmacTruths seemed to be right when they were off the shelf but developed HS turn quickly still retained some fade. My regular Lucid Truths always had turn but the fade went away with seasoning. I now have something that is very comet like in flight and the main pairing is the Compass that is also very straight but can take a lot of power and still be straight with minimal fade. I really like the Pine because the rim depth and overall feel in the hand matches these.

The warship I felt is deeper rim depth but maybe not as deep feeling as the Anchor/Bard. All VIP. My warship lost all HSS very quickly and is more squirly than my main workhorse Truth... its long but I don't think I can get much ore distance out if it than the truth because it is so US and doesn't have much use on it. For that Anchor/Bard type of flight I just use my VIP Harp. If I want a bit less dumpy fade then the BT soft Harp, and longer than the Harp I like the easy fade of the pine. Thus with all of the above its why I don't want the Pine to lose that HSS. Right now it fits in long straight and predictable fade and shot shaping right between an Opto Compass and VIP Harp. The compass and Verdict (I only have the one verdict so wasn't sure if mine was normal but sounds like it is) are a lot like Teebird and Eagle for me just speed 5. The Compasses have kept their HSS but start losing fade to just be longer and straighter like a Teebird and the Verdict has kept a good finish with developing HS turn like an Eagle. I really want that pine for the ~Banshee spot to keep the HSS and LSS.

Interesting, this is what I am looking at a pine for as well - something solidly stable, with a teebird-style flight. Keep us updated on how it goes?

I've been throwing my pine since last springs tc. The flight hasn't really changed much. Still firm hss, dependable fade. I find the fade more sweeping than my roc3s.
I find I can really lean into the pine and get some good distance out of it. Similar to the stability of my Teebirds, the fade reminds me more of a thunderbird though.

I have been using the Pine in place of the Teebird and the Warship in place of the TL.

Basically I cut my bag down to mids & putters to work on form and decided to keep it that way a second year.

Agree that the tournament Warship beats in quick, VIP not so bad and the Moonshine does not beat in too fast at all.

The VIP Pines are sweet and not beating in too fast.

My favorite Pink VIP Pine continues to get longer & straighter, just like a beat Teebird would. (Lol, on a side note, my younger 12 year old self can't believe I have anything favorite that is pink, but such is life almost 40 Years later).

It is a pretty underrated disc - kicked the Anchor out of my bag as a slightly OS mid.

Hey I'll go ahead and throw this out there - ended up picking up a Trilogy Challenge Pine to try and it is exactly what I was looking for - basically flies like a slower teebird. What jumped out to me is that it has that somewhat unique Warship shape, it's quite deep, and has a mild dome. In fact, as compared to most other S/OS mids out there, its shape and feel are overall a lot... softer? Smoother? No sharp angles anywhere on the thing.

Anyway, as far as the flight, I found that a bio emac truth would flip with a FH rip, whereas this just flies nice and straight with a late fade. At this point I'm bagging a Wasp over the Pine as the BH line fits better in my bag right now. However, be advised that as someone looking for something in between a verdict and an emac truth, this fit the bill like no other.

It seems like the Pine is similar to the Buzzz.

It has been a while since I have used a Buzzz and my skill level has changed a lot during that time.

Anyone who throws both care to compare the two?

Which disc is better at what?

I've got a Ti Buzzz on the way for sake of comparison.

Maybe I haven't beaten mine in yet but both of my Pines have noticeably more LSS than any of the Buzzzes I've owned. I'd say the Pine flies more like a Wasp, Shark, Sentinel kind of mid. Like I'd use the Pine for baby flex shots, sweeping hyzers and ranged hyzers whereas I'd use the Buzzz for lasers and short-range driving.

Latest posts