• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pitch & Putt, or Nothing?

To play or not to play.

• I'd play the short course

Votes: 135 78.0%
  • I'd choose a more challenging (better) course nearby

Votes: 38 22.0%

• Total voters
If the pitch and putt forces you to hit lines, absolutely, I would play frequently.

My local course was designed to force specific shots. Each hole requires a different type of throw or flight path. Some examples include a dogleg left, dogleg right, straight shot, splitter hole, skip shot, tunnel shot, roller shot, elevated basket, mandatory island, forced pond carry, sky hyzer, and several target holes with tight, but fair lines to the basket.

Even putting practice with a portable basket is better than no disc golf at all! Short courses are great for extending putt and approach skills. Try a round with mids/putters only. Throw multiples off the tee box to shape different lines...just don't discount smaller courses.

One of the great things about disc golf is you don't always have to play the established layout or by the established rules. Either one is a great way to spice up a pitch and putt.

read my mind. my local PnP has a fairly well known reverse layout that makes it pretty crazy (1 pad to 17 basket, 18 pad to 16 basket, 17 pad to 15 basket, etc.) I also prefer compact courses for glow rounds.

The only time I would consider installing a pitch and putt course a bad idea is when that's the only type of courses in the area already. If you've got 4-5 courses in the area and they're all pitch and putt courses, DON'T make the next course a pitch and putt when you could easily extend the length of it without detracting from the quality. Variety is one of the most important aspects to me in disc golf.

I can think of several towns, including mine, where the pitch n putt is the busiest course in town.
That's gotta say something...

I didn't do the poll because Obviously I would like many of you prefer a long course. But.... according to the thread title I would obviously take a pnp over nothing. PnPs are great, good place for newbs to gain experience of all kinds and for regular players as well to work on approaches and putts. Frankly if there was a pnp course anywhere near me I would go a lot as I love throwing putters.

I prefer longer well balanced courses too, but given the choice, I would rather play a well designed pitch and putt course over a long course that's just baskets placed in an open cow pasture.

Frankly if there was a pnp course anywhere near me I would go a lot as I love throwing putters.

This is why I love crystal lake park in beaver dam. I love driving with putters and theres only 3 holes I can't easily reach with a putter from short tees. Probably my favorite course for winter discing.

Few times a season I drive over an hour away to play a course with short holes. There's 27 of them, but most of them are under 300'. If done correctly, short layouts can be a lot of fun.

This is why I love crystal lake park in beaver dam. I love driving with putters and theres only 3 holes I can't easily reach with a putter from short tees. Probably my favorite course for winter discing.

My wife and I regularly bike to Johnson Park and play with putters only. It's a great time. And it does a ton for our putting and throwing putters.

Yea, I have played some amazingly designed Pitch and Putts, its all about the design!! With that being said as a traveling player, I will always choose the more difficult course over the PnP the majority of the time but they are great for bagging a course when your arm is sore from playing 72 plus holes of golf a day for the last week.

I generally prefer putter rounds at a short course over a "regular" round. I usually find them more fun, less potential for frustration and more in line with what, to me, disc golf really is....throwing frisbees in a park.

I will chime in with the popular consensus here. A pitch and putt is better than no course at all. More baskets in the ground at this stage of the game is a plus any way you slice it.

We had a 6600 foot course here in my area as the only course to play. we finally got the parks department to build us a pitch and putt course in the 4000 foot range and the game has exploded here. club membership is up 30%, league participation has more than doubled considering we have 2 courses to increase the amount of organized play the club could offer. it has been a great thing for us for sure.

One of my favorite pitch and putts is Garlough Park in the Twin Cities. You have elevation, woods, and a variety of shots to try. There is only one hole where you might need more than a putter, but it is definitely a fun little course.

Pitch and Putts have their merits. Not everyone is a World Class player, in fact very few of us are. The P-n-P are more novice friendly or family friendly. The better than average player will most likely find a better more challenging course to play than a P-n-P course. But even the better than average Joe player can find some merit to play these P-n-P courses if they leave their ego's at the door and play the P-n-P course.

I haven't heard to many players bragging that they shot -9 under par at any of our local 9 hole P-n-P courses.

I myself like playing these P-n-P courses as I'm a big time bagger. And I'm always striving to score that elusive -9 under on these 9 hole P-n-P courses.

I also feel that the more feeder (or P-n-P courses) one's area have, that area will have a delicious 18 hole course or more to play as well. And then some areas just don't have the room for a championship style course and a Pitch -n - Putt course is better than no course--- -+