• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pitch & Putt, or Nothing?

To play or not to play.

• I'd play the short course

Votes: 135 78.0%
  • I'd choose a more challenging (better) course nearby

Votes: 38 22.0%

• Total voters
The other benefit to a short pitch and putt is that you can bring people there who might be interested in the sport and give them a taste of what it is like. Plus if they like it, they can use your discs and make decisions later on what type(s) of discs that they prefer. Win, win. They like the sport and you now have a new playing partner and they don't waste money until they're ready for their first discs.

If there was another course in 5-10 miles that was a very good 18 of travel to play it more, but would play the PnP some. There is an art to a good round at such courses. But I play them rarely.

Bald Eagle is a 9 holer with both options, red tees average around 150 and blue tees average like 340, both are tight wooded fairways. 9 times out of 10 if I'm going to go throw (even before I broke my foot, I haven't even played the blue layout yet since my recovery), I'll play the "pitch and putt" version unless I want a beat down.

The other benefit to a short pitch and putt is that you can bring people there who might be interested in the sport and give them a taste of what it is like. Plus if they like it, they can use your discs and make decisions later on what type(s) of discs that they prefer. Win, win. They like the sport and you now have a new playing partner and they don't waste money until they're ready for their first discs.

Great points. Our local pitch and putt, Cumberland Green, is right down the street for me and I take a lot of people there to get them started. Great place for events like Ace Race and Birdie Bash too, because we don't even have to alter any teepads!

There is a longer course only a couple miles farther away, but I play Cumberland more often just for convenience sake.

It's way better than nothing.

Hone in your short game. Try to amass birdie streaks. Challenge yourself in different ways like putter or flick only rounds.

I don't know if you would call the 9 hole course around the corner a pitch N putt or not. 4 of the holes are over 300' and of the remaining, most are at least 250 and some play uphill. There are only about 6 trees that come I to play so it's pretty open but incredibly windy so still challenging.

At any rate I love the course for a few reasons.
First, it's the course I really learned to play on. I'd played about ten years ago a a difficult course with friends who had no interest in teaching me, but another friend (who's a teacher by trade) taught my wife and I on the 9 hole course and we had a blast improving. I still use it to improve now when I find some new technique I want to add to my game, it's a great course for it.

I also love to take out a new disc I'm auditioning to the course. Even though it doesn't force lines, I have room to try any line I want and lots of variations in elevation.

Also, it's right down the road from my work, I can take a lunch, eat and play in less than an hour.

I like our local pitch and putt course because there are several manicured fields nearby to throw in. The 9 hole is pretty awful except for a few holes that challenge you with lines other than "right at it". When I first started playing it was fun because to me at the time it was challenging. It's still nice to get out, throw in the field for an hour then play a quick 9 hole round.

I have built/am building a small pitch and putt here at the house.
So i guess I like them.

My local pnp is like so:
#1 wide open, reachable with a putter
#2 wide open, reachable with anything, including your bag (which i hardly ever bring) stupid hole where aces do not count
#3 uphill thread the needle tunnel shot, very challenging
#4 way downhill big and fun hole, just reachable with putter
#5 wide open, gotta crush that putter to get there
#6 one big tree in the way, downhill and woods egde to the right for errant shots
#7 wide open, reachable by putter, gimmick is a platform tee that used to be tucked in the woods and made this a great hole, now only mediocre
#8 removed due to asshats but was almost identical to #2
#9 wide open, easily reachable with putter but not ridiculous like #2

You can pick out the good holes easily. All in all,not that bad for putter rounds. I think -7 is my record. If they would replace the missing hole and put it in the woods a little (the area is quite small) and make #2 longer it would be quite ok - again, for putter rounds.

All short courses have there place in the evolution of the game. Our DGC membership has doubled in less than 2 years with the opening of Arrowhead (less than 3000 ft.).
The course should have variety some open, some wooded, some left, some right. up ,down. A short heavily wooded course does not promote the game if pro's would rather play length. The course needs to hone the skills of young players, they are the pro's of the future.

A nearby course is a pitch & putt... Burgess Park.
Nothing wrong improving your short game. At least there's a 600' field for stealth bombing.

I've had a blast playing short "pitch & putt" courses. Noticed reviewers here often mark down a 9 hole course due to its length but not the actual quality of golf. If I have to use 5-6 different shots in a round regardless of how long a hole might be I think it can be a fun course. There is a 9 hole near by that's wide open and long but its just a bunch of big hyzer lines to reach the baskets and for a player who cant throw 400' its even worse as there are NO lines to really shape.

If you don't pitch and putt you aint playin disc golf!

I've had a blast playing short "pitch & putt" courses. Noticed reviewers here often mark down a 9 hole course due to its length but not the actual quality of golf. If I have to use 5-6 different shots in a round regardless of how long a hole might be I think it can be a fun course. There is a 9 hole near by that's wide open and long but its just a bunch of big hyzer lines to reach the baskets and for a player who cant throw 400' its even worse as there are NO lines to really shape.

If you don't pitch and putt you aint playin disc golf!

Yep.
(Loch Ness?)

yeah what a waste of a disc golf course. Fun fact: that big hill in the middle is a huge landfill from all the new construction around in the past ~20 years.

One of the great things about disc golf is you don't always have to play the established layout or by the established rules. Either one is a great way to spice up a pitch and putt.

One of the nice things about my local 9 hole is that they do have 2 different teepads per hole, a few of which greatly change what you need to do.

yeah what a waste of a disc golf course. Fun fact: that big hill in the middle is a huge landfill from all the new construction around in the past ~20 years.

Yeah, I had heard that. I don't hate the course because it's never busy and I can usually set up anywhere and practice putting and different approaches and such, but man it takes forever to dry out.

I think the smaller neighborhood courses, well distributed, are essential. They make it possible to get in some rounds before or after work, at lunch, while running errands, etc. I do like to have the courses thoughtfully set up so as to require something other than straight down the middle shots.

The short courses are a good way to work on your approach game. Plus it can give you looks at some of the tougher shots that you might face on a second or crucial third shot to save par. Think of it as field work while you're playing your round.

thats exactly it. And its fun and less grueling on the body than playing 5 hours with a 20lb bag up and down treacherous hills and woods, haha

Latest posts