• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Pitch Putting"

Bif13

Birdie Member
I have been pitch putting for a year now, and my accuracy is dead on, but I have a question for other "pitch putters". What weight do other pitch putters putt with? I use 174 soft challengers and I tend to come up about 2" short more than I like. would dropping down to 170 or 172 be the "fix" for my face-mask putts?

It could help but how about releasing an inch or two higher or throwing harder? And i'm mostly lasering but of course at longer distances i add some pitching motion for a hybrid form.

BIF13 said:
I have been pitch putting for a year now, and my accuracy is dead on, but I have a question for other "pitch putters". What weight do other pitch putters putt with? I use 174 soft challengers and I tend to come up about 2" short more than I like. would dropping down to 170 or 172 be the "fix" for my face-mask putts?
I used to putt with 170 Omega SS's. The same thing happened to me. I went to 165's on Blake's advice and I suddenly made way more putts. Buy one 169-170 challenger and practice with it and see what it does for you.

I hear you JR, but it's just a mental thing. I like aiming where I aim. :lol:

Bif:

I putt stable, like you. Challengers should be wind resistant down to about 164g in winds under 10mph.

I think about carry and drop rates a lot by putter model and weight.
Here's a challenger "conversion" chart.

173-174g 30' of power =
170-172g 33' of power =
167-169g 35' of power =
164-166g 38' of power.

Basically, the amount of pop you need on a max weight to carry 30' will carry a 164-166g challenger 38'.

JR: when you pitch putt, raising your release point by 2" has SIGNIFICANT effects on the flight because the higher you release the more upward and less outward the force vector is upon release. It also messes with nose angle tendencies. You can always bend your arm to raise the base height of the arc of the plane, but then you've added a variable to mess up.

Chances are he's already at max power (before the technique starts to fail consistently) and still hitting tray. For a challenger putter at max weight with a pitch putt, tray starts becoming regularly st roughly 28'.

I know but one can drop the wrist down correspondingly to get equal height above ground with the front and rear of the disc. That added rising vector increases D significantly and that is what the OP was lacking. A rise in the pitch he is already doing just adds distance without the need for a faster arm movement thus keeping the effort smooth not losing out there. If he were to keep his current form and yank more power it would kill the consistency so either way you are going to you lose accuracy and consistency going for a longer putting distance. Which is what the OP wanted to gain.

thanks blake, that's just what's happening. 25' and in it's not a problem, from 28' and out is when I have the issue (top ring!). I'd rather drop my putter weight than mess with my form/release point/arm speed.

had 3 challengers 170-172 laying around, been very happy with them, hitting longer putts more consistently with the same form and effort. thinking about grabbing a couple 166 putters for even longer putts!

If you make the switch you"ll probably never pull out a heavier one for a putt unless you have an 8+mph headwind. You'll find some slightly diff chain behavior with a light putter since they carry less momentum, but all the "good spots" will still be in.