• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Weekend

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So, after a successful Memorial Day Weekend jaunt to Vermont where I hit Brewster Ridge, Black Falls and Hyzer Creek (plus others). I am planning a Pittsburgh Week-end in mid-August (Driving from Buffalo, NY). Here is my tentative agenda; any suggestions/changes?

FRI 8/12 - MORAINE LAKES (7,446)/MORAINE LAKES (7,446)
• DRIVE TO MORAINE LAKES STATE PARK; LEAVE 11AM (from work)
• DRIVE 3 HOURS
• GOLF MORAINE LAKES 2 - 5PM (2 Rounds)
• DRIVE TO BREAKNECK CAMPGROUND

SAT 8/13 - DEER LAKES (7,257)/DEER LAKES (7,257)/KNOB HILL (5,865)/KNOB HILL (5,865)
• LEAVE BREAKNECK CAMPGROUND 6AM
• DRIVE 1 HOUR TO DEER LAKES PARK
• GOLF DEER LAKES PARK 7-10AM (2 Rounds)
• BREAKFAST/LUNCH
• DRIVE 30 MINUTES TO KNOB HILL PARK
• GOLF KNOB HILL 11:30-2:30PM (2 Rounds)
• ARRIVE BREAKNECK CAMPGROUND 3PM

SUN 8/14 - MORAINE LAKES (7,446)/MORAINE LAKES (7,446)
• UP AT 6AM
• DRIVE 30 MINUTES TO MORAINE LAKES
• GOLF MORAINE LAKES 7-10AM (2 Rounds)
• DRIVE HOME 10:30-2:30

2 rds at Deer Lakes in 3 hrs? I doubt it especially if you don't know the course. Are the gates even open at Deer Lakes and/or Moraine at 7a?

2 rds at Deer Lakes in 3 hrs? I doubt it especially if you don't know the course. Are the gates even open at Deer Lakes and/or Moraine at 7a?
I agree with DND, you can play those courses but it would be very difficult to do in the amount of time you have allotted. When we drive out there to play those courses we can do 2 rounds SR and 2 rounds Moraine at a comfortable pace which is a least 4.5 hours at each course.

As a Pittsburgher who played two rounds in a tourney at deer lakes this weekend, I think two rounds in 3 hours is impossible for anybody. Maybe 4 hours but 5 is a safe bet. Depending on weather and crowd that is.

Knob Hill is a great course, technical and wooded. No par 5s and mostly par 3s so you can knock it out in less than two hours.

Moraine State Park (not moraine lakes, not that it matters) deserves a full day as well as deer lakes. Equally as great as Deer Lakes in my opinion. Great mix of open and technical.

Glad you are coming to the greatest city on Earth!

Thanks

I'm planning on playing solo and generally knock off even long courses (8,000 feet) in this area in an hour and a half...I tend to move along...thinking that if I hit the courses early that I can beat the crowds that might slow me down and I like early morning golf...but you guys know the courses...I'll add more time...should still be able to get it in...

I didn't do over an hour and a half at any course in Vermont over a holiday weekend...people let me play through as a solo...and it wasn't thick with folks either...

Last edited:
I suppose it really does depend on your fitness level and all, but I am inclined to agree with those above. A solo round at Deer Lakes or Moraine typically takes me close to 2 hours without any real backups.

I also know that, personally, a single round at Deer Lakes is usually enough to knock me out. I can't imagine ripping through 2 rounds and then even thinking about playing more.

Also pretty sure there is at lease one major detour going between Knob and Deer so travel times would be a bit greater. Typically Deer is a solo shot though and its much easier to add Knob Hill or Slippery Rock to a day with Moraine if you are insistent on getting to multiple courses in a day!

Thanks

I am in good shape (I hike 3 weeks a year in the Rockies) and am used to up to 3 or 4 rounds of moderate/longer rounds in a day. I did 3 or 4 rounds (on two different courses about an hour apart) for three straight days on my Vermont trip (on hilly courses) over Memorial Day.

I will leave extra time though and maybe only play on three rounds (only 1 round at Knob Hill) on Saturday depending on how I feel.

Sounds like fun. I've played here for 23 years. Moraine and Deer Lakes played as fast as you possibly can will take you just under 2 hours. Knob Hill you can knock out just under an hour if you are moving and playing the white tees. Blue tees will take considerably longer.

I like your plan for Friday.

Saturday, I would play Knob Hill, Linbook and Two Mile Extension, from two mile you get back to Breakneck easily. Linbrook and Two Mile while only 9 hole courses have some really great holes to play.

Sunday I would go to Deer Lakes, and then if you feel like playing more golf head to Indiana College Lodge course about 50 minutes from Deer Lakes or even head to 7 Springs which is a really cool ski mountain course. But will take 3 hours to play by yourself. But really, Deer Lakes and IUP College Lodge would make for an awesome Sunday.