• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Planning a course in Hodgenville, KY

If the course were pretty good, and, as stated, there were camping options available, I think it would make for a great weekend of fun. It could easily attract larger groups from other communities.

David

I would make the trip down from Chicago to check it out, especially since I'd be able to play Freeman Lake again. I would really make sure that if you're designing a course geared toward tournament players you get some design input from someone who has experience designing courses like that. I believe Dave Greenwell did several of the designs around Louisville, and that wouldn't be too far, or I'm sure there are some designers around Bowling Green.

i went and surveyed the land today. the next time i go i will take pictures and post them. so i can get input on hole layout and flow from u guys.

...make sure that if you're designing a course geared toward tournament players you get some design input from someone who has experience designing courses like that.

I want to echo that. KY has some really good and experienced designers in state. At minimum get a walk through from someone who has put in championship level courses. It will undoubtedly be worthwhile. Here is a link to the Disc Golf Course Designers group website:
http://www.discgolfcoursedesigners.org/discgolfwiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page#Designer_Levels
When spending the thousands of dollars necessary to install a top quality course, it is shear folly to skimp on the initial design. If you cannot find someone close by, call me because I'm willing to travel.

im planning on at least 3 par 5s and a hand full of par 4s, im the one who is in charge of development so im going there today to set up a mach course. to try out different routs and flow of the course

Give Dave Greenwell a shout, he'd probably help you out with any designs. He likes to see the expansion of DG..

havent got to talk to dave, would like to get his input on a course like this. but i dont have the money to pay him for a design and the backer that owns the farm has limited funds as well .

thanks steve, so a 108 players per week thats a shocking number.

Take it with a grain of salt. It's a calculated guess. but it's based on the amount of play a free, public course would get in that location.

Also, that's one of the lowest numbers I've ever come up with. It's one group about every two hours. I just don't see a big source of players near there.

If you're thinking of taking in $540 per week, it seems like a lot. I don't know if it would enough to pay for all the mowing that would be expected of a pay-to-play.

Looks like you still have Otter Creek Park on here which isnt in the ground anymore.. just fyi.

Thanks, but I found out a long time ago I can't keep the courses on my list up to date all by myself. I'm dependent on the PDGA directory. Please update the information there.

as far as course fairways the mowing is done any way, because this is a farm land and the owner has a tractor with a bush hog so grass would stay mowed. the owner is looking for enough revenue to pay for the course and make a little money on the side. thats why i was suggesting a pro shop on site. not sure how that would work out. this is the first time i have done any thing like this.

Holler in the Hills is not that far from you. Check in with Howie (?). He would be drawing from a similar demographic as you. Although; I believe he is closer to the group of players in Bowling Green. Still, he should be able to give you some decent numbers.

I have a group of 8 that lives in S, Indiana that would make the trip if the course was done right, I have family that lives in Hodgenville so I would love to bring a group down and Im sure all the pros around Louisville would make it down, Freeman Lake draws mad crowds because its a awesome course so I been told so as Kevin Costner heard...Build it and they will come!

havent got to talk to dave, would like to get his input on a course like this. but i dont have the money to pay him for a design and the backer that owns the farm has limited funds as well .

It can't hurt to talk to him to see what he'd be willing to do. You could even see if you could work out a plan to pay him a little at a time from the course fees once the course gets up and running.

I would like to play it tomorrow when I drive from Louisville to Bowling Green. I come to Louisville every year so I would probably play it once a year . . . when it does open!

Talk with Butch Harboldt. He designed Radcliff and Muldraugh and has pretty much taken ownership of Freeman.
I doubt he would charge you.
If I were building a course, he would be my first call.

Look at the available land at Radcliff and Muldraugh and see what he was able to do.
If you have enough land to have several par 4's and 5's he could make this as good as any in the country.
If you want his number I can pm it to you.

I was actually going to try a different course like radcliff or muldragh instead of freeman.

yeah i would like to get to talk to butch. maybe have him help me with the designs and start up of a course like this. go on and pm me his number ky and ill give him a call

Latest posts