• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Plastic Advice

NickFooch

I am looking for something very understable. What I currently use is a beat up Star Roadrunner which I love. The problem is I do not have a replacement for it. I have a brand new one but it is very stable. I am inpatient and can't give it the proper time to beat up. Is there something similar that will have the same level of understability right off the press? Is Champion plastic generally more understable than Star?

Underworld, Fury and Mongoose would be my suggestions. It would all depend on plastic types and weights to get the desired flight you are looking for. Your distance also plays a factor, but those discs are relatively close in speed and stability.

Champion plastic is generally more stable/ OS vs Star.

Underworld is the flippiest thing I have thrown.

Yes it is high speed but pro plastic Vulcan is fliptastic right out o the box.

Some great suggestions already. If you want something faster, try out a Vibram unLace.

If you want to explore other molds there's no problem with that, I for one think it's part of the fun of the game, but you could just start seasoning your new one. Shouldn't take too long throwing it during casual rounds to get to where you want it. I did this with my Leopards and now I have two in the bag that are almost identical and a backup at the house.

Second beating in the new star RR and in the process, learn to flex it. Eventually, flexing should replace very under stable discs in all but the sharpest of long, turning fairways or hyper flip to flat (no fade) lines. When you master a good flex, you have more options with the same disc and can either carry less discs or fill in the gaps better.

How far do you throw? If you want same speed area, can start with a GStar Sidewinder perhaps.

If you want flippy and slower, then River, Underworld (haven't thrown one), DX or Pro Leopard, etc.

Second on the vibram unlace, medium. Love the grip of the vibram. I usually throw champion plastic on innova drivers. Different feel.

Second beating in the new star RR and in the process, learn to flex it. Eventually, flexing should replace very under stable discs in all but the sharpest of long, turning fairways or hyper flip to flat (no fade) lines. When you master a good flex, you have more options with the same disc and can either carry less discs or fill in the gaps better.

^^^This is also a very solid point. Doing this with GStar Thunderbird right now, when the fade from the flex starts to dwindle I'll throw in a fresh one and the cycle will have begun.