• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Plastics and Flight

PBokor

Eagle Member
Does the plastic type affect flight or just grip? In others words, will my fission Tesla fly exactly the same as my neutron, proton, and plasma ones will, given all other variables (weight, wear, etc) are identical?

TIA

Protons and Neutron usually aren't much different from each other. The plh and flatness being the main factors. The eclipse proton, imo, is less glidey. So, generally it is considered more OS than the others. Plasma usually has a bit of dome compared to N and P, which makes it glidier and a tad more US. I've only had one Fission disc, a Photon. I have a N which is only a gram heavier but significantly more OS than the Fiss. F is has a slight dome and N is board flat. Plus, the Fiss plastic actually seasons in a non-geologic timeframe.:D

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to agree with what Aim always says. It has everything to do with the plh not plastic type. I've had variations with each plastic and plh has been the biggest difference in my personal experience.

Examples: Two proton Volts, both green, both 170's. One is regular OS Volt flight, very flat with higher plh. The other has mild dome, lower plh and flew dead straight with little to no fade of the shelf. Same experience with Neutron. Plasma Volts have more dome and lower plh which lends to their straighter less stable flights.

Mids are another story. Still don't understand why a domey Vector is more stable than a flat one

I'm gonna have to agree with what Aim always says. It has everything to do with the plh not plastic type. I've had variations with each plastic and plh has been the biggest difference in my personal experience.

Examples: Two proton Volts, both green, both 170's. One is regular OS Volt flight, very flat with higher plh. The other has mild dome, lower plh and flew dead straight with little to no fade of the shelf. Same experience with Neutron. Plasma Volts have more dome and lower plh which lends to their straighter less stable flights.

Mids are another story. Still don't understand why a domey Vector is more stable than a flat one

Different plastics cool different causing plh variations. So it does have plenty to do with different plastics.

Different plastics cool different causing plh variations. So it does have plenty to do with different plastics.

I think the point he's making is that plh seems to be the most important thing. While it's also true that different plastics can trend towards different PLH. I would agree with this, it's what I've seen in the field.

The mold seems to be important here as well.
An FAF firebird is well known for being one of the most OS discs in existence, and more OS than domey FBs. Many discs seem to work this way.
While FDs with some dome seem to be more stable than the flat versions. This seems to be more unusual? But the mold is definitely a factor.

I read exactly what you wrote. You said it has everything to do with plh and nothing to do with plastic type. but the two go hand in hand more often than not.

I think what he meant(and what I was also trying to say) is that both plastic types can have plh variance.

I think what he meant(and what I was also trying to say) is that both plastic types can have plh variance.

mvp is not consistent enough to have no plh variance in a plastic type? lol. But jokes aside, I would assume most people that know of plh understand that ALL plastic types will have plh variances.

Yeah the PLH makes the biggest diff.

But in my experience it goes

Proton - Neutron - Plasma - (then I assume Fission is least stable as its lightweight)

Yeah the PLH makes the biggest diff.

But in my experience it goes

Proton - Neutron - Plasma - (then I assume Fission is least stable as its lightweight)

No, Fission, weight for weight, seems more stable on the discs I have tested it on. Thats a bit different than the disc being lighter and allowing the thrower to over speed the disc.

Eclipse, proton, fission, neutron, plasma.

Having only thrown one driver in Electron, I am not for sure where it stacks into this, but it seemed more stable than I expected.

Last edited:
No, Fission, weight for weight, seems more stable on the discs I have tested it on. Thats a bit different than the disc being lighter and allowing the thrower to over speed the disc.

Eclipse, proton, fission, neutron, plasma.

Having only thrown one driver in Electron, I am not for sure where it stacks into this, but it seemed more stable than I expected.

the crappy thing about electron is it changes so fast to understable its hard to get a good read on it

mvp is not consistent enough to have no plh variance in a plastic type? lol. But jokes aside, I would assume most people that know of plh understand that ALL plastic types will have plh variances.

Proton, Neutron, and Plasma all use the same rim material which is molded onto a pre molded core so no, MVP plastic types have nothing to do with PLH variance. Dome maybe, but not PLH.

Yeah no real correlation between plastic and stability. Ive had OS and US variants (which is minimal) of all MVP molds made in multiple plastics.

Dome is/was always the easiest way to tell bc most mvp discs are flat.

Proton, Neutron, and Plasma all use the same rim material which is molded onto a pre molded core so no, MVP plastic types have nothing to do with PLH variance. Dome maybe, but not PLH.

There are a few outliers here. Some lower weight Proton molds in the 150 class have plasma agents in the rim but not in the Proton Core. I know I have some Craves and Virus with this combo. I believe the Virus had it as well but I never really grooved with that mold.

There are a few outliers here. Some lower weight Proton molds in the 150 class have plasma agents in the rim but not in the Proton Core. I know I have some Craves and Virus with this combo. I believe the Virus had it as well but I never really grooved with that mold.

Virus, Crave, Vanish, Defy, Insanity all came out in experimental runs with plasma rims.

Yeah no real correlation between plastic and stability. Ive had OS and US variants (which is minimal) of all MVP molds made in multiple plastics.

Dome is/was always the easiest way to tell bc most mvp discs are flat.

Also should add totally agree with asc349 on vectors/axis etc with dome which are MUCH more os vs flat versions. Makes no sense but i dont make discs just throw them. Anyone who says vectors are not OS need to toss a domey one........

Latest posts