• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play Better Alone vs With Group?

Wow, interesting thread. I thought I was the only one who generally played better solo than with others but it appears to be a pretty common phenomenon. :\

It actually works both ways for me.

If I'm playing with a quick moving group, that is focused on the round at hand, I play just about as well as I do when I play solo rounds. Sometimes I might play a little better if my competitive nature kicks in, even during a casual round. Close competition can push me to improve.

If I'm playing with a slow moving group, that isn't focused on the round at hand, I can play worse than my solo rounds unless I really bare down and focus on my own shots.

I'm not a guy who needs silence to play, and I can focus very well in the face of mild/moderate distractions. But when players in my group are ultra slow at making their disc selection, taking 26 practice putting motions, are searching for lost discs in-between holes, talk more than play, etc., I enjoy the game much less, and my play can suffer.

I've only played one sanctioned tourney and some ace races. I had no problem focusing and playing well in those cases. I guess the groups I got paired with worked out well.

Disclaimer:
If any of my slow playing friends read this, I still really like you guys. It would just be more fun for me to play if we picked up the pace just a bit. :D

Last edited:
My best play is a hybrid. Focused very quick play with an advanced partner and no money on the line. Low chat, no technical talk, and with brief or no breaks.

Picked partner doubles I do well
Random dubs cursed. I do well = partner not doing well and vice versa.

Worst play is solo, cash, and party super familiar group. Party skins even worse. Party Wolf is bottom. I refuse to explore triples or worst shot.

Solo play is iffy. Way to often I turn it into field practice and it vaguely resembles a round or I rip through too safe and fast. ... Got a few holes local I am shameful with in avoiding risk solo. Most likely to play a new course solo and that is total wild card

Definitely better alone or with one other person. When I play in groups there is usually 1 person that knows very lil about the rules and it hurts my mental game.