• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play Pro or Advanced

I wanna play Worlds at least once before I turn 40. I'm 31, so I should have time to get kind of decent at this game before hitting up Masters.

I'm 40, but fully intend to play MA1 at Am Worlds. It's fun to beat up on the kids.

Been catching some grief due to my 9 wins, in years. 6 are in Adv. Masters. Now some local folks are pushing to 'go Pro!'. I'm nowhere near Pro level. Current rating is 939, not a crusher, just a dude that scrambles REALLY well out of the rough! The argument to make me go Pro is that 'it will allow other players (I qualify to play ADV GRAND MASTERS) a chance to win'. And that I'm 'suppressing the field' by winning 1 tournament a year!' Thoughts?

Don't let people tell you where you have to play. There is no requirement to go pro, so stay in amateur divisions as long as you feel like you're not pro level - that's why the am divisions exist in the first place.

I might play open in local weekly leagues, but in pdga events I have no reason to because I'm not good enough to cash even in local tournaments. Play where *you* think is an acceptable place to be, and tell the whiners to get better.

DG tourneys are great because we all get a choice of how competitive we'd like to be(within player ratings standards). I'm usually around 930 rated and enjoy playing open far more than Am. I know that I will only be able to cash if 1. The field is weak or 2. I have an amazing tourney. That's what I want though. I have no need for Am swag and I frankly enjoy the players and the competition more, which is what matters to me. Better etiquite(imo) and higher level play. I'm really looking forward to this summer as last year was my first season playing Open but I was also getting married so I didn't have the appropriate amount of time to dedicate to my game. Play to have fun for you, not to please other competitors or placate their insecurities.

Does renewing your pdga membership as a pro or an am have any effect on this?

Does renewing your pdga membership as a pro or an am have any effect on this?

Yes it does.

If you are registered as a pro, even if you've never accepted cash, you are barred from playing amateur divisions unless your rating allows. As long as you are registered amateur, you can play any age division for which your age qualifies you, ratings be damned.

Play where you want and where the ratings allow. If you were rated over 975 I could see where the gripes could come from.

What is the rating cut off for a pro master who shows up to a tourney that has nobody signed up in pro masters but yet there are 10 adv master players? I think this is an issue for a lot of those in age protected divisions when they show up and because they went pro they are forced to play where they don't want to.

My wife, who is no longer a current member, has had this problem for a while. She is rated 870ish. And very few tourneys in the area have open women to play with. She wants to play with the advanced women instead of playing rec or int men, but can't because she accepted cash and her rating doesn't allow her to play advanced women.

My advice to the op would be to make sure you understand those rules completely before you make that jump.

And when people complain about it. Tell them to get better or go pound sand. Just my two cents

Play where you want and where the ratings allow. If you were rated over 975 I could see where the gripes could come from.

What is the rating cut off for a pro master who shows up to a tourney that has nobody signed up in pro masters but yet there are 10 adv master players? I think this is an issue for a lot of those in age protected divisions when they show up and because they went pro they are forced to play where they don't want to.

The rating for a Pro Master to play Am Masters? Under 935. If a Pro Master shows up in that situation and his rating is above 935, his options are MA1 and MPO if the TD won't allow him to play Masters alone.

My wife, who is no longer a current member, has had this problem for a while. She is rated 870ish. And very few tourneys in the area have open women to play with. She wants to play with the advanced women instead of playing rec or int men, but can't because she accepted cash and her rating doesn't allow her to play advanced women.

She could petition to change her status back to Am. Though with an 870ish rating, she's not barred from FA1 as a pro woman. Pro women can play FA1 if their rating is under 925.

As a TD, I'd have no problem with your wife playing FPO officially but grouping her with the Advanced women. Best of both worlds, really.

Last edited:
The rating for a Pro Master to play Am Masters? Under 935. If a Pro Master shows up in that situation and his rating is above 935, his options are MA1 and MPO if the TD won't allow him to play Masters alone.

She could petition to change her status back to Am. Though with an 870ish rating, she's not barred from FA1 as a pro woman. Pro women can play FA1 if their rating is under 925.

As a TD, I'd have no problem with your wife playing FPO officially but grouping her with the Advanced women. Best of both worlds, really.

925? Did that just change? She talked to the tour manager a few years ago and Brian graham....no dice. 925 must be recent because I swore it was 860ish.

Most TDs in our area do group her with the other women. My complaint is not with the TDs.

I'll have to double check with her about all the details when I get home. I could be wrong but I swear that FPO rating cut off is different than 2 or 3 years ago

I agree with most here. Play where you feel comfortable. Advanced means you should expect some challenging competition.

The only time I have any problems with what divisions people play is when Am players that should be playing intermediate or even advanced play rec just to get an easy win. The last tournament I played had that problem having a few guys who really had no business playing with us rec guys.

If you need to ask play pro. What do you need funny money for anyways? Get your warm hugs from your woman and take your lumps with the better players.

To get better..to reach that next level you need to play up. You will reach deeper within yourself & reach your upper limit. Play like you don't care & have fun everyone!

Keep us up to date how you do.

I agree with most here. Play where you feel comfortable. Advanced means you should expect some challenging competition.

The only time I have any problems with what divisions people play is when Am players that should be playing intermediate or even advanced play rec just to get an easy win. The last tournament I played had that problem having a few guys who really had no business playing with us rec guys.

If they're rated below 900, how do they have no business playing Rec? Because you can't beat them?

sounds like your a pretty good player (congrats!) :clap: dont feel guilty that your good. if they want to win, they can practice and beat you. you shouldnt feel guilty because you work hard. they just wanna complain to you because they feel it as an excuse to not be the best:thmbdown:

If you win any division besides Open/Pro, you are a bagger. Such is life.

Agreed. For the OP, I agree with the title of the thread: you should definitely "play Pro or Advanced." When I grow up, I hope to have to worry about this kind of thing. :thmbup: