• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play with any injuries?

ChampionKirby

Par Member
I currently am playing with a torn MCL and possible ACL. I tore my MCL completely off the bone in 2010 and a year after all the physical therapy i screwed up my knee playing disc golf the day before a big tourney. Now, i play with a knee brace and i only put about 70% power and no run up. I have only noticed about a 2 stroke loss since. It really sucks knowing that i might not reach my full potential now, and just wanted to know what other things some people have to fight through.

I have pretty much the same thing you have except mine didn't come completely off the bone. It has been that way since '06. Also have a slight tear in my rotator cuff on my throwing arm that does allow for those anny shots.

Give it time on the knee. It took me about 6 months to get back to soccer and basketball playing full motion and strength. I don't wear a brace but I know its there and am very cautious on wet tee pads. I would say try to not push it too much. I know its hard but a MCL is one of those things that heals pretty nice if you just give it a chance.

ive had a bad knee since '95... i dont know exactly what the damage is but it gets weak sometimes. pretty much ive just gotten used to it being that way

It may be the exact right time to 1) practice your putting more than you have, and 2) learn a different / new way of throwing (fh if normally a bh'er, etc.) to diversify your arsenal and place less stress on the thing healing up.

Karl

I got four wisdom teeth cut out and played the Frozen Finale the next day. Placed 2nd... Vicodin is awesome.

I've played lefty a couple times, once for a month when I hurt my right wrist and once for a couple weeks when I hurt my right thumb.

I actually did ok other than putting, after a few rounds I was getting 250' with a putter and a little over 300 with a pd.

I actually did ok other than putting, after a few rounds I was getting 250' with a putter and a little over 300 with a pd.

That was my problem when I broke my throwing hand. I couldn't putt worth crap but I was throwing 320'

After playing for 17 years, I have had way to many injuries to list. Pretty much any person that I know who has played seriously for 10+ years has back, hip, knee, shoulder problems. You just learn to deal with it.

As KB CLark #284 says "If it hurts, it still works"

Both of my shoulders are having issues right now, so I use the "chubby" where my belly and waist meet to grip the disc and I swing around three times...not accurate at all, but my putting has improved.

My shoulder doesnt like thumbers and tommys I can't throw a football or baseball. But regular throws are No problem

Both of my shoulders are having issues right now, so I use the "chubby" where my belly and waist meet to grip the disc and I swing around three times...not accurate at all, but my putting has improved.

Can you post a video of this? I'm not sure I understand

It may be the exact right time to 1) practice your putting more than you have, and 2) learn a different / new way of throwing (fh if normally a bh'er, etc.) to diversify your arsenal and place less stress on the thing healing up.

Karl

This is good advice.

Ice Bowl 2009 - Stepped in snow cover hole and tore ankle ligaments (only tourney I've ever started and not finished), Took over a year to get completely comfortable on my plant foot again.

BG Tech Center tourney 2011 - Smashed finger into a tree on follow through, Finger still has a knot on it that I don't think will ever go away and hurts. I throw forehand with a one-finger grip and that's the finger I nailed on the tree. Should probably have had it checked!

4th of July Weekend 2011 (July 3rd) - Compression Syndrome in left leg. Playing Rotary Park in the Mountains of WV in 95+ temperatures can be rough. If you start to get a leg cramp NEVER try to keep going! Stop a minute and work it out then take it easy. Leg swelled from ankle to knee and hurt bad, Didn't pick up a disc from July 4th until July 25th, Three weeks off and drove to Rochester and through one practice round on Monday before World's - Had two rounds on Tuesday and the 2nd one about killed me. Look up compression Syndrome, It can be nasty but I was lucky and didn't have to be cut open.

I usually play with an injured sense of pride. :p