• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Played My First Real Round...

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
...in nearly 3yrs today.

I've done some field work and played a couple holes on the 9 holer in my neighborhood but haven't played a legitimate round since New Years Day 2019...

Was supposed to play stick golf today but my friend had to back out at the last minute. A few minutes after i got the news, the group text for my old weekend crew came. They were playing the right course for me to go, "WTH? Why not?"

Threw better than i thought i would considering i hadn't picked up a disc to throw in at least 3 months... and even then, it was just putters in an open field at half power...

...and, yes my shoulder is sore but it's the good kind of sore. The, "i haven't used these muscles in 3yrs sore." NOT the, "hey dumbass, your shoulder is still ****ed kind of sore."

:popcorn:

Last edited:
That's awesome to hear!!! Hopefully it stays that way, and you can keep getting out there.

I may be out your way in May too. I have no problems bagging some little 9er's, just sayin' :popcorn:

That's awesome to hear!!! Hopefully it stays that way, and you can keep getting out there.

I may be out your way in May too. I have no problems bagging some little 9er's, just sayin' :popcorn:

Hmm... Just had a look at your course list and you've got a lot of work to do in SW OH, lol. If you spent a week in the Cincy area, and did nothing but frolf, you could probably add 30-40 courses to your count.;)

...Ironically, the course i played yesterday is one of the three you've hit in KY, Boone Woods.

You spend a LOT of time on a disc golf website for someone who's frolfed once in the last 3 years. Are you a Halcon alt?

:D
LOL

Well... at least i have actually played with a couple DGCR members that could verify my existence...

...and besides, if i could create a character as shallow and vapid as Hal... I'd be in Hollywood not Ohio.:D

"Round 2" also went off without a hitch yesterday. Wasn't keeping score and basically just threw a couple shots off each tee of one of the Cincy area Steady Ed courses, Woodland Mound...(it was a bit muddy so i didn't play 2 holes that go across a fairly deep gulley)

...and then played 9 holes of stick at the really nice golf course across the street. The Vineyard

Last edited:
Played 24 shorts at Osage Grove yesterday. Starting to get my legs under me a bit(well, other than my ankle. See below). Still can't throw more than 275' but I'm not sure i ever will be outside of downhill shots... or if i lose 150lbs and get a bionic ankle.

My right ankle has been rolled so many times, there is little to no lateral support left in the joint. So i can't really pivot on it to generate power. Gonna try some braces but without a significant weight loss, i don't think it really matters. In the meantime, i basically have to make sure to plant my foot facing forward at release.

I guess i can let this thread die now. I'm officially a disc golfer again.

Played 24 shorts at Osage Grove yesterday. Starting to get my legs under me a bit(well, other than my ankle. See below). Still can't throw more than 275' but I'm not sure i ever will be outside of downhill shots... or if i lose 150lbs and get a bionic ankle.

My right ankle has been rolled so many times, there is little to no lateral support left in the joint. So i can't really pivot on it to generate power. Gonna try some braces but without a significant weight loss, i don't think it really matters. In the meantime, i basically have to make sure to plant my foot facing forward at release.

I guess i can let this thread die now. I'm officially a disc golfer again.

We all have to find what works for us....I have scoliosis, with my spine curving 20 degrees sideways. I've been trying to find a putting style that doesn't hurt my back. Straddle-putts are the best, but I don't have enough 'oomph' for putts over 15 feet. Staggered putting hurts my back after a while as it requires a forward motion while the back is twisted. Somewhere in between the two I hope to find my 'sweet' spot.

I hope you find your 'sweet' spot with your pivot foot. I think the biggest issue will be confidence. After I recently rolled my pivot foot ankle, I really had trouble being confident that I could plant and pivot on it. Practice and taking it slowly finally got my confidence back.

There's a Technique and Strategy section....start posting in there. I'm sure someone else has had pivot foot issues similar to you and could give you advice.

Last edited:

i was feeling that way about my game 25 yrs ago (right shoulder and knee). then i switched to throwing forehand except for short approaches and putts. after a season or so learning curve i was scoring better than i ever had and continued to improve until i was about to turn 60 and Covid hit. low or no impact joint exercises and perseverance were my salvation. good luck and enjoy the game you play.