• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Player Pack Quality

What would you prefer?

• Highest quality item and receive one?

Votes: 62 89.9%
  • Lesser quality item and receive multiple items?

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters
Obviously with different seasons comes different items. So, in the Winter players are more for the hoodies.
What about the Summer? Dryfit shirts yes, but what else is of high quality that players would choose that they normally wouldn't get?

One of our TDs Mike and Amanda Henry made really nice disc boxes out of wood and had tourny logos on it, it came with some stickers and a couple discs. It was such a sweet storage box that I bought another one. I know for a fact that tehy made these all from hand and are awesome!

People are going to hate on whatever you do so it doesn't matter. If the players pack is nice the payouts will be less and then people will bitch about that. If the players pack is small and the payouts are good, people will bitch about the players pack. You are screwed either way.

People are going to hate on whatever you do so it doesn't matter. If the players pack is nice the payouts will be less and then people will bitch about that. If the players pack is small and the payouts are good, people will bitch about the players pack. You are screwed either way.

In some ways that is true. If your players packs are nice and payout is low, then some might say they spent all their extra cash on them. BUT if your a TD who works hard at getting money from the city to help host your event and provide those players packs, then your not spend extra money on anything.
I have worked with different cities and their visitors bureau who provide (X) $$$ to the event, but it has to be spent on players packs and trophies. I have yet to take away the players packs from the entries when the city provides the gifts.
With that being said, it can leave room for a major focus on earning the hard cash for your event. Events are as good as the TD is willing to work on it.

Stuff like this is good. Little things make a difference. A coupon for a free milkshake (with purchase of cheeseburger) from a local resturant can be a tiny addition to a swag bag. It benefits businesses and the disc golfers.

Keep in mind that discounts and coupons from local businesses aren't much value to the out-of-towner. If a tiny addition, then of course it doesn't hurt. But I've won free restaurant meals and other local discounts in CTPs before when traveling to tournaments. The thought was nice, but if I ended up just throwing them away.

Obviously with different seasons comes different items. So, in the Winter players are more for the hoodies.
What about the Summer? Dryfit shirts yes, but what else is of high quality that players would choose that they normally wouldn't get?

Like all gifts, it's hard to find what people will enjoy having, but haven't already bought for themselves.

Think beyond disc golf to what people might appreciate even when they're not on the course.

Like all gifts, it's hard to find what people will enjoy having, but haven't already bought for themselves.

Think beyond disc golf to what people might appreciate even when they're not on the course.

Like a gift card to Home Depot or Starbucks?

You could always make your players pack disc look nicer. Even a picture of you winning it included.

Final9pics018.jpg

Doesn't carry much emotional significance from the event, but I'd definitely use one.

I think this goes back to one reason tee-shirts (or, better, dry-fits) are so common as players packs. Everyone wears clothes, so they'll get some use out of them even if they don't particularly want them. They advertise the event, and remind the players of it.

Quality for sure. Nobody needs a bunch of cheap crap that they'll never use.

Nobody needs expensive crap they'll never use either. :| My last tourney I got some Sealskin socks. I don't foresee me ever using these. I would have preferred some cheap shirt to ruin playing DG or minis, stickers, patches etc. Actually, just give me some patches, I have an addiction. :|

So really, as long as your one, quality item is useful, i.e. nice dryfit hat, polo etc. that's probably the way to go.

Nobody needs expensive crap they'll never use either. :| My last tourney I got some Sealskin socks. I don't foresee me ever using these. I would have preferred some cheap shirt to ruin playing DG or minis, stickers, patches etc. Actually, just give me some patches, I have an addiction. :|

So really, as long as your one, quality item is useful, i.e. nice dryfit hat, polo etc. that's probably the way to go.

I see your point, but I could actually use some Sealskinz socks. To me, that would be an awesome player pack item. ;)

Over the years there have been threads here and on other forums about what makes a good players pack. It really depends on the what players in your area are used to and what the expect.

I run my fair share of events and I try to do players packs a bit different than other tournaments in the area or to give players a choice. I have learned that a unique or different logo helps sell extras. I'm running the CHAINSAW Classic this weekend and AM players have a choice of a drifit shirt or a Supercolor disc. A bunch of players have paid extra to have a shirt and a disc and several players that can't play for some reason or another have called and emailed asking if they can buy or order a disc and/or shirt.

I plan on running and event next year with an ultra low entry fee with the option of paying an extra for a disc and/or shirt.

No players pack? Keep entry to the bare minimum. If anybody wants stuff... just buy it for yourself. if you don't want the stuff that the TD is giving in the players pack, maybe the player should be able to opt out.

No players pack? Keep entry to the bare minimum. If anybody wants stuff... just buy it for yourself. if you don't want the stuff that the TD is giving in the players pack, maybe the player should be able to opt out.

That's what I think I'll do next year. All entry fees $20 and if you want a players pack you pay an additional $15 or $20.

The only issue is the upfront costs of logo discs...want to make sure you make your money back on those kind of expenses.

Be careful with gift cards. Try to stay as generic as possible. I'd probably use the Home Depot, but Starbucks would be something I'd regift. Coffee = :gross::sick:

Dri fits, nice hoodie, or even better, a unique style of sweatshirt like a full zip, mach neck, ragwell sleave piece would rank well for me.

Bags, stools, most discs usually avaiable w/ event stamp, and any other items ive already picked out for myself do not rank highly for me unless the art is standout (all efforts to create decent ppacks are well respected though).

I know that there are companies that deliver work shoes onsite. If keen or merrell could be delivered i think that would make a very pleasing ppack.