• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Players jumping holes

How many tournaments start everyone on #1. Not any that I've played in.

People can certainly execute good intentions in a rude way, but starting on an open hole in itself is not rude. "Open" means no one is in the fairway of that hole or the hole before it.

How can someone "cut" in front of you on a circle? Where you each can start and finish at different points?

How many tournaments start everyone on #1. Not any that I've played in.

People can certainly execute good intentions in a rude way, but starting on an open hole in itself is not rude. "Open" means no one is in the fairway of that hole or the hole before it.

How can someone "cut" in front of you on a circle? Where you each can start and finish at different points?

12 years and never played an event with tee times? We are talking casual play. In a tournament jumping groups is not an issue, cmon now.

Its totally depends on when and how players jump the holes as to whether or not I think its makes you or others an ass for doing it.

At Calvary Hill(St. Cloud MN) you see a LOT of groups skipping holes 7 & 8 as well as jumping from 9 right to 13 to avoid the holes in the woods on the hill. Its extremely annoying to be coming out of the woods to find that group of 6 stoners that where well behind you teeing off on 9 and having to wait for them to finish because you actually played 7 and 8. Or watching the group of 8 shirtless "bros" jumping across the road to get to 13 from 9 while you are finishing putting on 12 only to once again have to wait as they forehand the warp speed drivers they have 100 ft. That's when skipping holes really annoys me. It messes up the flow of the course.

However, at several courses, if its extremely busy on the front part of the course, I have no problems with people jumping to somewhere on the course that isn't busy. At Riverside(St. Cloud MN) I've started on hole 10 several times just because the first part of the course is just swamped. Sometimes by the time I get back around the front half is clear other times I just call it a day if I don't have the time to bother with waiting.

So basically, if it doesn't mess with other peoples rounds, I have little problem with some group deciding to start on hole whatever.

At bicentennial, people skips holes all the time. 5-13 are just rough to navigate. So some people play 1-4 then 14-21

really the only people that give us trouble are the ones who love to chuck while we are still playing. Lol

Playing Morley Field so much I tend to lose sight on walking up to an open course and having the luxury to play 1)for free, 2) on any hole, 3) as many shots on a hole, 4) no crowds, 5) no frolfers, 6) no groups of 10+kids with family, 7) w/o hearing four every other second, 8) w/o discs flying at your head, etc...

One day you've got to come visit. I can arrange for us to play a 4+ rated course by ourselves. Sounds like you've earned it after so much time at Morley.

Like others have said, if you wouldnt let someone cut infront of you in other places (ie: restraurants, movie theater, stores......) then why should it be okay on the DG course.

Don't get me wrong, I completelly understand if the course is empty and you are just a single. But it is completelly different when the course is busy. Just like in ball golf, if you are a single, then you should join a group to play with when the course is busy.

So what do you guys do on the freeway? Wait in line?
At tge drive in do you wait for the car ahead of you to find a spot before you will?

My home course is packed with chuckers; one of the busiest courses in the state.
The "i was here first; get in line" mentality seems to be the biggest problem with flow....not stratigic golfers.

....And actually jason, while all the suckers are on a wait at the restaraunt, i go up to the bar for service.

if the started on hole 15, they didn't "jump holes", they started on a different hole.

to me, jumping holes means i'm playing 6 and there's a bunch of herp a derp tards taking their time on 7 so i jump right to 8 and skip them, then play 7 when i'm done.

In either case the answer for me is "no", there's nothing wrong with it*

*as with everything discussed on this forum, it depends on the situation.

I believe a bigger problem is large groups. If you have more than four and are not playing a scramble you can kiss my grits as far as I am concerned. I see mostly younger folks doing this. I played a sixsome the other day, we let other small groups pass and were doing a scramble and all of us were better than novice. No issues...

It boils down to this: start wherever you want as long as you are not causing the other groups who are suddenly behind you to wait on you.

This sums up my position in one short sentence.

Jumping holes is standard practice, IMO. I can't imagine arriving at hole 1 to be greeted by 3 five-somes waiting to tee off, and not finding myself scanning the course for an open couple of holes to jump in on. BUT...I would not do that if I was going to hold up a group that had started their round before I arrived. It can and should be done with respect and consideration to others.

Do you really have the right to tell someone where they can and can not start playing? Assuming that it is not a private course on your property, then I believe the answer is no. I don't really like people jumping right in front or behind me either, but if it's a public course then people are free to do whatever they want.

Prefect said! Even i'll do it time to time on busy days/times. I'll also jump groups mid round, to clear slow/large groups.

I'm a little surprised by some of the comments here. So the consensus I am reading is that for some it's not appropriate and for others, who cares? Some have suggested if it's a public course then it doesn't matter. Just curious, I haven't played ball golf in many years, but most of the courses here are all public. Yet, I have never heard of ball golfers starting on other holes unless it's the back 9 with no groups coming up.

Show me a free golf course in a public park and then I will take your comment seriously.

edit: after re-reading this it came off as a little rude. sorry, im tired, but the comment stands lol

Last edited:

Latest posts