• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

playing 18 holes with only 2 discs.

Cross Post From Newbies

I can easily play a round with just two discs. In fact, while I carry eight I'll usually use three.

While I carry 8 discs, only a couple get used for 95% of my throws.

I tee off with my ultra lightweight mid-range Shark on 15 of the 18 holes (Leo gets to play on the other three) and all upshots over 150'. The ultra light Colt gets all the short upshots and most putts.

I carry an ultra light Birdie for just one hole, which sits on the side of a cliff with a raging river just beyond the basket. The heavy weight Whale is there for severe uphill/downhill putts, which my home course seems to favor and also for when the wind comes up after lunch.

Anything else in my bag is either ballast or new discs which might get a trial throw here and there.

I carry about 15 different molds in my bag. If you know what they all do then it shouldn't be a problem. Playing a two disc round would not help my game any more than it would hurt it.

Anyone else figuring that we use to many discs in a round?

It depends on the course and the weather. Some courses that I've thrown only require 1 disc.

I do well with less, but taking multiple dives, approaches, and putts at a time makes me feel like I'm using my time much more productively. Plus, who doesn't like emptying the bag on an ace run hole?

On my home course I play better with about 5-7 discs. I know the course well and a few of those discs will only get thrown one time during the round, but it makes for a better score.

On newer courses I tend to do better with just an Envy, Theory, and Crave.

I did play a 2 disc round with an Envy and Relay the other day and had my best game ever on that course, but only threw the Relay twice. The Envy is just that great of a disc.

I frequently play a round with 1 or 2 discs, which is fun and sometimes informative. And it's totally random, so I might be playing with a putter, or an overstable driver, or a beat-to-death flippy disc that I still own.

Years ago when I played Earlewood a lot, I logged all my scores. Earlewood is a fairly short course with multiple routes on most holes, so it's amenable to play with 1 or 2 discs. Over the course of the year, I shot 1/6 stroke better with my full bag, than with just 1 or 2 of whatever discs.

When I do that at Stoney Hill, a much tougher course, it's a slaughter. The 1- or 2-disc rounds are many strokes higher, except when I put the disc in the pond before I can finish the round.

Not only does the course chosen have an effect, but if you can throw both forehand and backhand, it's much easier to play with minimal discs.

I agree with the backhand and forehand. The T-Bird3 was very good with forehand. #4 at Clay has a nearly 90* entrance about 110 ft down a tight fairway. Entered to the right perfectly and easy par.

I still think that having a full bag will give you the best options. When playing with fewer discs some times you will become very familiar and comfortable with the flights making the decisions and throws more predictable.
Once you get to a point of ADV level more discs do help. BUT, at the same time some courses can play better with fewer to limit the choices to be made and more consistent flights. WITH all that said. If I had to do a 2 disc only round.......ENVY, WRATH or TD.

I always play with a full (Dynamic Ranger) bag of 20 discs for several reasons.
1. I am a little bit OCD and have my discs arranged in a specific color pattern (yellow, white, blue). It makes it much easier to just glance in my bag to ensure I have not left a disc behind than to have to count them.
2. I like the added weight to increase my exercise factor.
3. When I put beverages and ice packs in the top pocket, the bag falls over if the disc compartment is not full.

1. I am a little bit OCD and have my discs arranged in a specific color pattern (yellow, white, blue). It makes it much easier to just glance in my bag to ensure I have not left a disc behind than to have to count them.
3. When I put beverages and ice packs in the top pocket, the bag falls over if the disc compartment is not full.

Number one certainly describes me to a tee
Number two is true as well
I could certainly get through my home course with only a small handful of discs - nine times out of ten, playing that course doubles as field work and I'll throw ten discs off of every tee

Given all that, you can still play a one or two disc round despite carrying all those discs. I've seen players at Ace Races and Trilogy Challenges carry their full bags despite only being allowed to use the 2-3 specific discs, and they do that because they don't feel right being on the course without all that stuff. Call it OCD or habit or whatever...carrying all your discs doesn't mean you have to use them.

IMO, there's nothing more eye-opening (and I think this is what the OP was getting at) than playing a round with a limited "quiver" and realizing that you can shoot just as well on a given course as you can with your full compliment of discs. Really emphasizes the whole "it's the archer, not the arrow" thing.

Latest posts