• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing against less experienced players

Sometimes my wife's dad will go out with me, he will usually bring his Aerobees. For whatever reason, he isn't interested in learning how to throw a disc. So he plays with the Aerobee. That usually keeps us fairly even. Me and him will go out to a field and stand about 300 hundred feet apart, and play catch with those things. It's a blast!

How about making it full contact disc golf for the better player? You know, the weaker player(s) or team gets one tackle of the better player per hole on any given shot (their choice when they use it). I guarantee you that paranoia will take over not knowing when that hit is coming and the mechanics of his game will become sloppy. I'm just saying...it could be fun to watch.

i dont like that approach. i find it quite judgmental...like you have some sort of ratings system. whatever side games we play around here, we treat everyone equally (ript, random dubs, one disc).

A really uncomplicated solution is to give certain players strokes for or against their round. So if one guy is better than everyone else, add a few strokes to his round. Or if one guy is weaker than everyone else, give him a few strokes' head start. Some people might see that as being patronizing, but others could be totally cool with it.

Lately I've been giving my buddies I play with one mulligan per hole, and have myself play straight up. That helps even things out a bit, as the course we regularly play is pretty easy. This rule helps them by giving them a potential second chance on each hole for the occasional shank, and/or another try at their putt.

Play your own game. And maybe "go for it" more rather than play a smarter competitive round. Sounds like a perfect time to try some new shots or discs. Have fun but play your best.

Maybe I'm just too competitive, but I've played several sports over the years where I was the n00b and not that good. I would have been pissed if my buddies played a lesser game or game me a lame advantage. Most notable were ping pong and bolf. Both sports I started playing with guys who were much, much better than I. But since I really wanted to learn those games I tried my best, worked hard and eventually played them competitively.

Find a way to play for some cash that is on a more level playing field. One thing that worked for my buddies playing ball golf was a game called Bingo, Bango, Bongo. We played for quarters. First on the green, $.25; closest to the pin, $.25; first in another .$25. Some variant of that makes the n00b concentrate and try harder.

I think I explained this once before, but my friends in NY had a system called Triads, basically 3 limited mulligans.
New people were allowed 3 do overs, but you could use only one per hole. In the begining you can do 3 of any one of these or mix them (ex. 2 hit baskets 1 redrive):

1) if your disc hits the basket you may count it as in.
2) if you have a crappy drive you may re-throw
3) 1 redo of any OB / water hazard.

After a while (say once they are shooting with in 15-20 of your score for 18:)) they get only one of each for 18.
Then ween them off so they can play the real rules.

The triads usually don't improve your score more than 5 strokes, but it takes pressure off of the new player, also the new players don't get as penalized by mistakes/ bad shots, so their is less frustration. (just explain that this is a handicapping system, not the rules of Disc Golf)

Last edited:
i dont like doing it personally, my game gets worse around lesser rated players, however when I play with higher rated players I tend to play better because I catch the things they are doing that I am not

Yeah, mulligans. I meant to say something about that. I like Prerube's idea of the Triad. But I would include myself in it. Just so you don't sound condesending. You don't have to take the Mulligan, but it is a more level playing field. But to separate disc golf from ball golf and because we're stoners my gf and I call them mind erasers.

In recreational games I play better against better players, in tournaments I think I play better against lesser skilled players because I am more confident and they do not notice that I don't know what I am doing.

I refuse to play with less-experienced players. Before a round I'll ask the card if anyone has less experience than I do. If anyone does have less experience I walk.

Stupid bloody n00bs, all n00bing it up.

noobs.jpg

In tournaments it isnt really as bad, I try to play INT and ADV (I have an INT rating) but when I am playing for fun with lesser people I find myself trying to help them out so much with technique and shot selection that I often rush my own game and play worse.

No condescending here...we are all really good friends and have played enough that every now and then they want a new challenge that is more competitive for them. This way of playing would probably be less than 1/3 the times we play. It just adds something new into the mix that actually gets them more excited. Also, some of the ways mentioned above would give them more throws in the round = more experience/practice to get better.

I'm an advanced player and one of my friends that I play with a lot plays in rec. Whenever we want to have a friendly competition I'll spot him 1 throw for every 10 points higher my rating is than his. This usually works out pretty well when you're both PDGA members and it can be pretty competitive. Sometimes he'll win and vice versa depending how we're doing compared to our own skill level that day.

handicaps to even up playing skills:

throw from a sitting position from each tee.
throw using only one disc. or with discs you arent familiar with.
throw using the most hated discs (epic, groove, dragon, paper plate, etc)
throw using a 150g disc (if you never use 150, or 130/180 if you use 150's) or just use an ultimate frisbee like my friend does, yes he putts with it too, yes he makes par 50% of the time.
throw using only ONE kind of throw. all thumbers? all rollers? all backhand? all forearm? including putting.
throw using your non-throwing arm

Annual Grange Superbowl Sunday tournament = placekick from the tee & choice of punt, pass, or placekick after that. Use any football or footballs you want. (Disc golf baskets catch passes pretty well.)

Sometimes to even out things with family members, we've played a format called "piggyback".

Say there are five of us. Everyone drives as usual. The catch is that on the first hole you can opt to take your upshot at any of the five lies, including your own. From that point to holing out, you are on your own.

Same rules applies on the second hole, except that you cannot use the lie of the person you used on the first hole, even if it was your own, so you only have four options.

On the third hole, you can't use either of the people you've "piggybacked" on the previous two holes, so you only have three options.

On the fourth hole, you have the two remaining options, and on the fifth hole, you must use the lie of the one person you have left. Better hope that person doesn't go OB on you.

Starting with the sixth hole, the process starts all over again.

Depending on the group, sometimes I've let players always opt to take their own drive.

I can't say it makes things more competitive, but it does make the game more social and fun.