• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing California Screwed my game up

how would playing cali screw up your game? it's just like playing a round by yourself, where you take an extra shot/putt

It's more of a game rhythm disruption than anything. (or that I'm a head case)

Mid round we considered calling it "North Jersey" instead because of my swearing.

People in Cali don't call them the "Cali"... they call him/her the "ODD MAN".
Let's try to get this right someday.
DSCJNKY

DSCJNKY

Actually, everyone at Golden Gate Park calls it "Cali".

Cali was the first term I heard used for a single player in a doubles game. My crew in Fontana has since started calling that guy Han Solo, or Hans for short.

I have seen the number of mullies per hole played different too. Sometimes only 1 extra per hole, sometimes 2. But it seems like you should technically get the same number of shots on a hole that the doubles team(s) are putting up. Otherwise an average player playing Cali is at a distinct disadvantage to 2average players as a double team. A good player going Cali might get a lot of second shot love tho. Quite the conundrum......

DSCJNKY
That's just not true.

You're a traitor to the state anyway. I would expect this level of disinformation out of you. :p

Hans

Here in WNC thay call it 'Hans' as in Han Solo. Raiders of the Lost Ark, get it?
P.S. Nobody wants to be Hans when we draw up partners for doubles here. It's a gipper

Around here when Cali/odd dog is announced, those interested (top players) pay double and get one shot. It's seen as an advantage.

In our Charlotte random doubles, its called the Black Ace. Although not quite the same. Michael Johanssen runs our club dubs most tuesday nights, and with an odd turn out he plays solo, but not cali, just a normal singles round against everyone else's doubles rounds. Its quite a nice handicap when playing against the best around

Latest posts