• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in first tourney this weekend

banknwank

Eagle Member
Going to play in first event this weekend. Non sanctioned local winter warriors event. No expectations, just going to see how it all works and get an idea of where my skills stand against some of the locals. It's my home course, so I know what disc/shot to play, but there is some decent players running around Denver. There is a few decently ranked pros that frequent local courses I know they have some sort of mulligan thing going on also, and I won't have any mulligans . I think the winner of last event posted a -33. I will be posting a plus 5 per 18. If they incorporate the Blair witch it could get ugly for me. I have posted some trip bogies back in the Blair. Not sure if you earn them through wins, birdies, just for attending....... Any way, I am a little excited for my first event. Only thing I know is I am not eating fast food hash browns before the tourney! Wish me luck.:D

Good luck!

Have fun with it. I played awful in my first tournament, but it still got me hooked to the competitive side of the sport.

Play the course and not the competitors on your card or in your division. Play your game - the shots you know and trust. Smile and relax - enjoy it! After a bad hole, just try to get a par on the next hole and don't overpower a shot or take some ridiculous line trying to make up ground. Usually bad things happen when you play outside your game after a frustrating hole. Good luck man, I hope you ace in your first tourney!

Good luck, even though it is non-sanctioned, I would still ask those in your group to let you know if you break any pdga rules just so you will know.

Don't sweat it; i played in my first WW at Jellystone (same series you are in) a couple of weeks ago. We scored -13. It was doubles format w/double birdies, so that's why winners can get a -33. Your partner will help bail you out, and it's a low-key atmosphere. Just have fun and learn from your cardmates.

Remember you are playing yourself, just try and improve your OWN score. Don't be intimidated, every tournament you play in you will gain more confidence and become more comfortable.

Humble yourself and let everyone know that it is your first time and they should be encouraging/uplifting. It's the guys who roll in like they are the shizzz, and start breaking rules, they get called on stuff real quick and make everyone want to fist fight.

It sounds cliche, but the one who has the most fun wins - and of course the guy who gets first place. Good luck my friend.

Set a goal for total score which is realistic, do not worry about what others scores are and stick to the goal, if you get in trouble or ob, stick to your game and do not try to throw shots you could not make in casual rounds, know the rules and HAVE FUN.

lots of response ........ I picked this event cause i knew it would be more relaxed environment for my first "competetive" outing. will play my game onm my home course and let it happen. it should be fun and some doubles or something like that could be fun.

After a bad hole, just try to get a par on the next hole and don't overpower a shot or take some ridiculous line trying to make up ground. Usually bad things happen when you play outside your game after a frustrating hole.

That's the truth. My first tournament back in october I had some bad shots, and instead of making a simple shot to get back out into the fairway, I kept trying to make nearly impossible shots and just getting myself into more trouble. Added a lot of strokes to my score by not relaxing and playing smart. The best thing to remember is to just relax and have fun, that's what the sports about anyway. Good luck!:thmbup:

Set a goal for total score which is realistic, do not worry about what others scores are and stick to the goal, if you get in trouble or ob, stick to your game and do not try to throw shots you could not make in casual rounds, know the rules and HAVE FUN.

I actually find it a lot less stressful to set a goal on each individual hole and not think about total score until the round is over.

thanks for support every one. i plan on mostly having fun and maybe learning a thing or two about tourney rules and regs. i have never played doubles or any thing like i plan on playing more tourney stuff this summer, and for fun is big part of it. But i can play for fun rounds any day of the week, tourney play is more about playing to perform your best. imo any way.

I actually find it a lot less stressful to set a goal on each individual hole and not think about total score until the round is over.

I agree. If i think too far ahead, i try too hard. I dont even like to add up my score at the turn. I start thinking i need 8 pars , one bird, and no bogies to reach my goal........Then i try to make shots i dont realy have in the bag and have a melt down. One shot at a time works best for this guy. And if i know i am falling a little short of my goal, i try to think damage control instead of i need to birdie. Any way, thanks again for advice and encouragement , i will let you know how it gos sat evening.

Have fun! WW is a blast but it's far from what you'll experience in a competitive tournament. I would look at it more as a meet & greet. The majority of the players are who you'll see at tags & tournaments. Playing tags will get you more prepared for tournaments IMO.

Will be playing tags this spring also. I will probably break down and join pdga so I can participate in sanctioned events as well . Just playing for fun with friends will probably be the bigger part of it all. I am excited to meet some some people and have some dg fun. Weather is going to ge good but will prob be muddy as we are still melting down from weds night little snow storm. That reminds me......need to pack an extra towel .

First tourney in the the books.:D. It was a good choice for my first go around and a good time. Pretty relaxed but semi seriousness for some of the players. We played doubles so that took a lot of pressure off. There was also some odd holes that special rules to mix things up with things like putter only, double mando, fh only , drive with your mini........But my random partner was battling for a top ten Finnish on the season. And I felt compelled to not ruin his season with my first dabble in tourney play and that put a little pressure back on. He carried us on a lot of the drives, but I was able to keep up on putting and helped keep us alive with several double birdies. Three of my thumber drives were keepers that we were able to post double birdies on. My back hand drives were so so today and would have posted a worse than normal round today with out it being doubles. My partner said if we posted better than -12 he had a chance at top ten. We posted a -22, so hopefully he got his trophy. There was over 80 people playing today. Learned some etiquette/rules and had fun. I look ford to participating in more tags and tourneys in the future and this was a great ice breaker for me.:thmbup:

Scores posted this morning and my partner and I finished 23 out of 84 for the day, and my partner did not make the top 10 for the season. Good fun and suggest anyone one on the fence about competitive play should seek out some local leagues, tags or casual tourneys and check it out. The doubles was fun and inexpensive for the first go around, and will jump at the chance to play doubles again. But, still want to play reg tourney in the near future. I will also be playing some tags this spring.

Latest posts