• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in the wind. Love it? Hate it?

Do you like playing in the wind

• No. Absolutly not. I want no air movement what so ever.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Kind of. It depends on the way the wind is blowing for me.

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • Hell yeah! Make it blow FASTER!

Votes: 34 24.5%
  • I have no poinion one way or the other. I just like voting in polls.

Votes: 23 16.5%

• Total voters

Pete Kwaz

Birdie Member
So there is this thing in nature called wind. It tends to effect your throws. On the plus side, you can grab some extreme distance or pull off some sick shots that you would not be able to do regularly. On the down side, it messes up most of your regular throws and just plays havoc with putts. But are you someone who would is happier playing on a perfectly calm day, a day with just a small breeze or a day with a stronger breeze? Or are you someone who is in heaven with a 30 MPH gusting wind? Talk about it.

I like the challenger and it makes for good practice to play in it often.

Overall i do not hate it but nothing beats a beautiful 75 degree sunny day with a gentle breeze.

I don't really enjoy playing in the wind, but I don't really hate it, either.
I just accept it as a fact of DG life.
I take it as a challenge, to learn, to deal, and to get better.
If you play DG, you have to learn how to play in the wind.

Really the only bonus to strong wind is that many people can't play well in it.
If you are competing, many will get weeded out.
Ya gotta understand the physics and ya need some wind discs.

Hate it with a passion, BUT...

Its a fact of life around here. If you want to get better and work at what is the proper way to deal with it in every situation, you can't be staying home on those days when its blowing 25+ MPH.

I'm pretty sure Fargo is the windiest city in the entire US. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard it a few times. It's made it so that I've learned how to deal with the wind, and it's made my overall game better. As for liking it or disliking it, disc golf is disc golf :). I love being out on the course no matter what the conditions, as long as it's playable. I personally love putting with a tailwind, just lob your putter up an extra 5 or 6 feet and watch it either go in, or fall about a foot past the basket.

Playing the wind is a huge part of the game! One of the best moves I made was getting a Spider and a more overstable driver than I could normally handle. The Spider putts straight into the wind like a dream.

If I had a choice I would play in a light breeze, but unless it's a hurricane or tornado wind doesn't stop me from playing. It's just a part of the sport, and I enjoy the challenge of thinking through disc choice and shot selection in the wind, especially on local courses where it makes you use a different disc or a different line than the other 300 times you've played that hole.

The wind does weed out some of the rec super groups which is nice, not to mention it's great building and executing tougher shots in heavy wind.

Im ok driving with strong winds, but it seriously screws my short game more than usual.

LOVE IT!!!!! OK, maybe not anything 30+ mph, but anything up to that I think adds to the challenge, and really makes you think. Its fun finding new lines and throwing new discs just to take advantage of the wind, rather than fight it....

Headwind, tailwind, crosswind, they all make you think more about your shots, and force better execution.

Heck, my buddy and I are designing a course on his property, and we've specifically set up 4 cross canyon holes, one in each cardinal direction, in order to have to play all aspects of the wind.

I usually enjoy it I think because I practice in it and know what to expect while most others shy away from the windy days. On the really gusty days, it helps me to strategize every hole by going for bogey. This actually inproves my score in relation to others because it keeps me from making the big mistakes like I see a lot of other people do.

Strong winds can be frustrating. Even routine putts become challenging. I guess, honestly, I'd always like ideal conditions. Hard to beat sunny and 70 with calm winds for a great day outside.

But the wind is part of the course, as is mud, rain, rocks, and trees. Realize that giving up several strokes because it is windy doesn't mean you're a bad DGer. Just means adapting and keeping your cool when it's not going well. That's what I tell myself, anyhow.

ITs there and I am ok with it, except when it is blowing toward water hazards, then Im not a fan.

Light to moderate winds make things interesting. Stronger winds are tough but there is something reassuring about watching an F-bird or Pred defiantly plow through a headwind. Discs with the attitude, "You may slow me down but you aint gonna stop me B----!"

Latest posts