• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing right-to-left holes for LHBH thrower

sanfordrjones

I am a LHBH/ RHFH thrower. There are 3 or 4 holes on my home course that play right to left, a couple of them with very small fairways with OOB on the right. There are trees in the middle of the fairway that give me a super tight window to keep it out of the woods to the left of the fairway and in-bounds on the right. Any suggestions on how to conquer these holes? I've tried throwing RHBH since I'm right-handed in everything else, but my footwork really screws up my throws to the point where there is absolutely no weight transfer, so the throws don't go anywhere and with no accuracy.

I'm throwing a Millineum Aries as my driver and a Discraft Buzzz as my midrange.

If footwork is not meshing with your RHBH, try simpler footing (one step, or even standstill). Those techniques will help you develop your BH throw and should be a lot more consistent.

No sense in going for an elaborate run up if it precludes you from hitting a line. Tight fairways reward precision over power.

How good is your LHFH? As a leftie as well, I throw either LHFH for such a shot, or something understable that will turn right to left.

I've tried a standstill shot RHBH, but I can't get any distance on it. I use it every now and then for approach shots where distance isn't an issue, but line-of-sight from the left hand is. I would say RHBH just isn't an option. I get better results for both distance and accuracy throwing my putter LHBH, but I would rather learn to throw something with distance so I can give myself a chance to par these holes.

My LHFH is terrible. I'm a righty for everything except throwing a disc backhanded, and the only reason I'm a lefty there is because I've been swinging a baseball bat right-handed for almost 40 years (same general mechanics as LHBH).

I am a LHBH/ RHFH thrower. There are 3 or 4 holes on my home course that play right to left, a couple of them with very small fairways with OOB on the right. There are trees in the middle of the fairway that give me a super tight window to keep it out of the woods to the left of the fairway and in-bounds on the right. Any suggestions on how to conquer these holes? I've tried throwing RHBH since I'm right-handed in everything else, but my footwork really screws up my throws to the point where there is absolutely no weight transfer, so the throws don't go anywhere and with no accuracy.

I'm throwing a Millineum Aries as my driver and a Discraft Buzzz as my midrange.

Try a stand still RHBH or throw an anhyzer with one of your developed throwing styles. Something a little slower and more neutral for a driver might be easier to keep on an anhyzer line. Millennium OLS or JLS for example.

or something understable that will turn right to left.

I'm pretty sure the Aries is understable, but I don't know how understable. Any recommendations on a disc that is more understable than the Aries that I could try?

I am a predominantly LHBH thrower, and I throw from a standstill.

I assume you know that you have two options throwing right to left holes.
1) Get that anhyzer shot down solid.
2) Develop either LHFH or RHBH shot.

I can throw both LHBH anhyzers AND LHFH. And of the two, I will 99% of the time for forehand. Forehand hyzer (at least for me) has vastly higher likelihood of success. Anhyzers, in my opinion, are WAY too sensitive to how much power you put on them, which means any undetected wind, or slight miscalculation, and the disc over-anhyzers, turning into a wild roller, or flexes out and turns WAY off course.

Okay... I lied. There is a third option. LHBH backhand Roller. Even less reliable than an anhyzer. Would not advise. And I suppose thumber roller would work too.

I have seen a fair number of pros that have masterful touch with backhand anhyzers. It can be done. I just assume it takes a lot of practice. I have only been playing about a year, and after maybe 7 months, it became very clear that I needed something more reliable than touchy anhyzers. So I developed my forehand. I am SO very glad I did. Not just for long hooking drives, but for those awkward short right-to-left get out of trouble shots that are nearly impossible to do anhyzer. So, that would be my recommendation. Develop either lefthand forehand OR righthand backhand shot.

My husband is a right hand player, and can't throw forehand, but has developed his left hand backhand for the left to right shots.

My FH game is weak, so I've really worked on my turnovers. If it's a severe dogleg and/or bends further down the fairway, I hyzerflip a super flippy disc (beat Meteor or beat Patriot). But if I had any hope (and it sounds like you do) of throwing both left and right, that would be a priority in my practice routine. Start with standstills, then work on a suuuper, slow x-step.

Something a little slower and more neutral for a driver might be easier to keep on an anhyzer line. Millennium OLS or JLS for example.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have an OLS that someone gave me that I haven't thrown much, so I will give that a shot.

Thanks for the all the quick replies, everyone. I think I'll try to use the Orion LS on the course while I practice the RHBH. When that gets okay enough to use on the course, I'll switch to that. My anhyzer is way too unpredictable to have to depend on it multiple times per round from the tee box.

Fellow LHBH and RHFH thrower - I has similar issues until I got my flex shots that either fade more at the end or anhy more earlier (depending on the disc) for right - left shots (assuming like a tunnel?). Also adding a forehand roller and backhand roller really opened up holes. I have been working on my anhyzer for past 2-3 seasons to add another flavor but am still inconsistent. You will find something that works well as you keep playing, try all the options!

How comfortable are you with your RHFH? Also, how long are these holes? A RHFH flex/turnover is my most comfortable shot on some similar holes.

My go to shot on a hole like this is a hyzerflip that flips all the way over. You'll want to have a disc that you can absolutely trust to go left. (I'm currently using a renegade, but I've used lots of really beat discs over the years). The benefit of this shot is that it flies relatively straight while flipping, until it just dumps left.

Im LHBH and LHFH only when it is absolutely needed. i prefer throwing something understable flat, even hyzer, and letting it flip over and hold the line, instead of trying to force something over based on the angle. Ive been having a lot of success with a warrant 250 feet and in for this type of shot. learning to throw RHBH will complicate matters in the long run if you ask me.

To the OP.. Have you tried throwing a roadrunner before? I purchased one a few years back and it immediately found a place in my bag. It is one of the most understable 9 speeds on the market.

Another thing, keep your arm LOOSE and keep your grip LOOSE. And TIGHTEN your grip at the last moment of your release. That last moment when you tighten your grip will help the disc to anhyzer.

Since you are primarily a Righty and have a RHFH, I'd recommend trying a RHFH roller. I don't throw much backhand and I use the forehand roller a lot. The RHFH roller will finish to the left keeping you away from the OB to the right. Terrain and the ground will determine if it's a viable option.

A solid anhyzer game is must for a LHBH player. Many courses have a slew of holes that play R>L. Get to work on your turnover shot.

Discraft Putt'r>Discraft Stratus>Lat 64 Core>Discraft Comet>Discraft Meteor>Discraft XPress>Westside Underworld>Innova Mamba. These are all reliably understable discs that can be moved from right to left, for you, with little effort or torque. They are mostly listed in terms of putter to driver. The key is flat smooth throw. Let the disc do the work.

Work more on the RHBH stand still. Long reach back and push off hard with your back foot. Will add power. Practice.

Something a little slower and more neutral for a driver might be easier to keep on an anhyzer line. Millennium OLS or JLS for example.

This is good advice, but I would add one thing: Go even slower for a turnover driver. You want something that is not very speed-stable and will not pull out of the turn too early. It is much easier to hold an anny with a slow disc that does not have much low-speed stability.

Leopard and JLS (depending on plastic) are classics for a reason: they are slow and easy to turn, but still can go very far. They just have to be thrown carefully, and your form has to be clean.

Lots of other slow, understable drivers available.

It also depends on ceiling height. Throwing a neutral disc anhyzer requires more height vs. throwing an understable disc hyzer-flip-to-turn. Again, this is why a slow understable disc can be so valuable in the woods.

Good luck!

For shots shorter than 275' I throw LHFH. Over 275' it's LHBH anhyzer. On the other hand, I had to LHBH/FH anhyzer a few 40-50' putts the other day due to vegetation, push a Glide to slightly anny a 175' hallway shot, and punch a LHFH anny out to 325' to get clearance for an approach shot, where a LHBH would have chanced the trees on the right early and the trees left late in such a throw.

It's of immense benefit to be able to custom your throw for the shape and waft of the hole.

Latest posts