• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please, no more pars!

One you get to being >90% from 22'-25' with your putting, the next step is figuring out what you need to improve to get that close to the basket.

What discs are you hitting that 330' mark with? Chances are there's still something fundamentally wrong with your driving form. Figuring out what that is and getting to where you're putting fairway drivers 350', mids 300'-320' and putters 250'-280' will improve your accuracy from 330' and down quite a bit.

I also agree with Omega that you should be kicking butt in intermediate if you're hitting almost all pars with a few birdies.

You are correct about that. I am still working on my driving form. I typically throw Vikings and Valks (around 170g) RHBH to these distances. I have been working on my technique and have recently stepped down to Leopards and TLs to build my form the correct way. I can get my Aviars out to about 230 pretty consistantly but have yet to work this form into my driving. If I could get my teeshots out to 350 or so with decent control that would allow me to get close to the basket to where I could throw for more birdies. It seems a lot of times that I find myself about 60 feet or so from the baskets for my second shot and I just can't seem to hit these shots. I will lay it up and take the easy par.

why don't you just park your drives so you dont have to approach? I know this discgolf company that can help you get further drives... BALCO i think...

I agree with putting being the most important and pratice is key.

Something to work on though is different types of shots. Rollers, thumbers, and tommies all have their place in the game and can offer lines that are more easily hit with consistency. Different lines are key too. Different hyzer and annie lines too. sometimes there is a path that you just don't see until you learn that you have the ability to throw there.

15-20 years ago worrying about getting par was understandable. alot of courses were "deuce or die". most courses i have played recently, par is nearly 1000 rated golf..

Well, if you are playing everything as par 3, then you want to eliminate your approach shot and just be driving and putting.

Now that being said, the further you can putt, the less distance you need from a drive. Alternatively, but not equally, the further you can drive, the shorter you need to putt, providing you land the drive right in line.

The reason I say that it is not equal being able to drive far to reduce your putt length is there are far more variables with a big drive as far as consistant accuracy whereas if you get better at putting from further, it gives you that much bigger of a target within that radius of the basket.

Well, if you are playing everything as par 3, then you want to eliminate your approach shot and just be driving and putting.

Now that being said, the further you can putt, the less distance you need from a drive. Alternatively, but not equally, the further you can drive, the shorter you need to putt, providing you land the drive right in line.

The reason I say that it is not equal being able to drive far to reduce your putt length is there are far more variables with a big drive as far as consistant accuracy whereas if you get better at putting from further, it gives you that much bigger of a target within that radius of the basket.

I play everything par 3. My driving is something I am working hard on, but seems to be improving however slowly. Twenty feet from the basket I am putting pretty good, but like you said if I were able to stretch that to 40 or even 50 feet and hit more of those, then more birdies. At this time I currently don't have a practice basket at home but am looking to get one as it will allow me to get more practice in. I feel I have the most potential to improve my game in the putting aspect and will look to focus my attention more on putting, especially from longer distances.

Something to work on though is different types of shots. Rollers, thumbers, and tommies all have their place in the game and can offer lines that are more easily hit with consistency. Different lines are key too. Different hyzer and annie lines too. sometimes there is a path that you just don't see until you learn that you have the ability to throw there.

Bingo! If you can stick the disc in the landing zone and have it stay instead of skipping away you'll get a few more birdie opps. I've often been amazed playing with more advanced players and the lines they've chosen. Play a round using shots/lines that you've never tried before.

I tend to agree with you somewhat. Hitting long putts can make the difference between par and birdie. I focus a lot on my drives because the courses here in Arizona lack finese shots off the tee, of which I am used to back in my great state of Iowa. Rather it is distance more than anything. However if I could get good at putting long range then I might make a few more birds.

I tend to play a lot of tightly wooded holes, so driving is a roll of dice most of time anyway if your initials aren't KC. Putting will save your a$$ so much more than driving will. I need to learn how to do it one day.:rolleyes:

I think it depends on the course you are playing. Play with better players and see how they birdie holes that you don't and then learn to do what they do...