• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please rip apart my driving form - improving rhbh - Thanks!

mitsurugi

Hi all,

Been lurking the forums a lot lately (lots of great info on here!) and now would like a bit of personalized help. I played disc golf a lot a few years back and mostly threw rhfh for drives (maxing out at 330 or so). Starting to get back in the game now and want to move to rhbh - I think it has more distance potential and would make me a more rounded player.

Anyway, I need some help. I think I might be strong arming a bit too much and throwing a bit nose up. I'm working on improving both these things slowly. I might also be throwing too low as well - not sure. Overall I would like to add some distance and more consistency to my drives.

There are two videos (different angles) here and each is in full speed and quarter speed to help you see my form better. Each video has the same 5 discs. All the drives are getting about to 300 on average. I seem to be throwing the Reaper, Valkyrie, and XL a tad further than the other two.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I will be out in the field this week practicing whatever feedback I get here:)

Video 1 discs in order: Elite X Reaper; DX Gazelle; DX Teebird; DX Valkyrie; Elite Z XL

Video 1 links:
Full speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDcX-JyUFQ
Quarter speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu9wSKRWlpM

Video 2 discs in order: Elite Z XL; DX Gazelle; DX Valkyrie; Elite X Reaper; DX Teebird

Video 2 links:
Full speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmiRzQVtYE0
Quarter speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGRR17kyBCA

Just go read the Maxing out at 300' thread on DGR and that will help you a lot. You're self describing everything that is pretty much holding you back.

Strong arming...check. No elbow chop...you are dropping the elbow off plane, either keep the elbow up or drop your right shoulder. Your elbow should pass the right shoulder before actively throwing...if you watch the masterbeato vid he says going from back here to up here adds anywhere from 80-100' or more.

You are also pushing off your rear heel so your weight shift and balance is screwy, stay on the toe/ball. You are good candidate for starting from scratch with the hammer drills, snap 2009 vid/thread, and working from the hit back.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

i had a problem with elbow chop, weight transfer and nose angle about a month ago or so when i posted some videos on here for advice. i've made some progress on fixing these issues and gained another 30' or so in distance since then.

my advice is focus on the weight transfer and elbow chop. when i started to fix those issues my nose angle issues disappeared.

How long have you been playing, you have a very strong foundation!

Thanks for the compliment. I played for a couple years but haven't played for about five years until recently picking it back up. When I was playing before it was mostly rhfh though.

Just go read the Maxing out at 300' thread on DGR and that will help you a lot. You're self describing everything that is pretty much holding you back.

Cool, will check out this thread a bit more.

Strong arming...check. No elbow chop...you are dropping the elbow off plane, either keep the elbow up or drop your right shoulder. Your elbow should pass the right shoulder before actively throwing...if you watch the masterbeato vid he says going from back here to up here adds anywhere from 80-100' or more.

I still don't quite understand what I'm missing with the elbow chop thing. Is it that I chop my elbow too early? I'll watch more of the vids.

i had a problem with elbow chop, weight transfer and nose angle about a month ago or so when i posted some videos on here for advice. i've made some progress on fixing these issues and gained another 30' or so in distance since then.

my advice is focus on the weight transfer and elbow chop. when i started to fix those issues my nose angle issues disappeared.

Cool, what did you do to fix the issues? Focus mostly on the instructional vids?

Two main things: Hips and release point.

Your hips are not 'closing' during the runup. Your shoulders turn because your reach back goes so far (which is not a bad thing), but your hips just face 90 degrees off target the whole time. Ideally, you want them to face 180 degrees and the back of your reach back.

Doing that will help the second problem, release point. Your release is happening either behind your body or just as it reaches your torso. By rotating your hips to the closed position, it will take longer for you to complete the pull through, because the hips will open first, then the shoulders (as opposed to just your arm moving), then the arm. Hopefully that will at least partly resolve the release point problem.