• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please settle this argument...

Sorry, but you are wrong on this. I have seen a 90' hole that is a legit par 2 at this course. Hole #4.

I know there are holes marked par 2 but I thought that par 3 was the lowest a par can be by definition. Idk, it doesn't matter I suppose. Anywho back to the OP, I'd just call an eagle on a par 3 an ace and I think most people would agree with me on that

Par by definition?

I am pretty sure par = projected number of strokes/throws on a given hole for an "average" player.

From my POV, an average player should not require more than 2 throws on a 90' hole.

For the OP...an ace may also be considered an albatross, eagle, or birdie but an albatross, eagle or birdie is not always an ace.

Also, potato = tomatoe and tomato = potatoe. :p

What everyone else said. lol. Yes, they mean the same thing on a par 3? However, no one would use the term Eagle in that situation unless they wanted to confuse you. = P

Last edited:
Stupid argument...I'd say that he almost birdied a par three - par 4's are a made up by bad disc golfers.

...or good course designers. Hole 14 at Hudson Mills Monster course is a legit par 4. Over 1000' from the Pro, about 650' from the Am pad. Mostly open, but unforgiving rough off the fairway, and a "wall" (for lack of a better term) of trees about 325' from the pin.

If I don't throw any shots on a par 3, is that considered an albatross or DNF? :popcorn:

It's a 7 :D (par +4)

Par by definition?

I am pretty sure par = projected number of strokes/throws on a given hole for an "average" player.

From my POV, an average player should not require more than 2 throws on a 90' hole.

For the OP...an ace may also be considered an albatross, eagle, or birdie but an albatross, eagle or birdie is not always an ace.

Also, potato = tomatoe and tomato = potatoe. :p

Par is the number of shots it takes a pro to reach the circle +2. 90 feet is still technically a par 3. A VERY easy par 3, but still a 3.

Par is the number of shots it takes a pro to reach the circle +2. 90 feet is still technically a par 3. A VERY easy par 3, but still a 3.
Wrong sport. That's ball golf. Not applicable to disc golf. Different scoring parameters.

As far as the Par argument goes, yes, Par 2 holes CAN exist, but according to the PDGA, they are not recommended as a design element of a high-caliber course.

Par Guidelines

Likewise, Par 6 holes CAN exist, but you're talking an 800+ foot hole through heavy foliage. The three or four 600+ foot Par 5's at Sontag DGC are enough to make my arm hurt. And my discs afraid of trees.

I'm in the "same thing" camp. I have no idea why something can't be referred to by two different terms if the definition of both is applicable. We do it all the time. Just because you'd normally choose to use one term over the other does not make the second term incorrect.

Interestingly, tho, the DGCR scorebook appears to lean the other way. None of my aces were counted as eagles. Go figure :).

Silly argument but, heck, I'll be silly and join in.

"Ace" refers to how many total throws. "Eagle" refers to the score in relation to par.

Ace = 1 throw.

So if you play a par-3 and make it in 1 throw, it's an Ace (total throws) and Eagle (2 throws under par).

Just, as, if it takes you 2 throws, you can call it a "2", or a "birdie", or both.

You know what I like about this site?

Someone has a dumb friend, so he asks a very simple question. Everyone agrees with the answer, yet 58 replies later, here we are.

Latest posts