• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Ivy Help - Washing gear and clothing?

FightingTheTide

Birdie Member
I'm pretty sure I managed to get poison ivy on some of my gear, but I can't figure out exactly where. Is it possible that it's on my bag or my shoes? I'm not familiar with how the oils in poison ivy work, and if they stay on clothing.

Last week, I got a really bad break-out on my arm. In hindsight, I wasn't paying attention to where a disc landed from a practice throw, and then casually placed it in the fold of my arm to keep walking to my first shot. :wall: So now I am on Prednisone to fight it off (it's working well).

I did wipe down some of my discs with rubbing alcohol to try and erradicate it. However, a few days later, I started seeing small spots appear on my fingers...even my left hand (I am right handed). So it makes me think that I either got it on my shoes or on my bag, since I use both hands to take my shoes on and off, and to pick up my bag.

Would it be a bad idea to wash my bag and my shoes, and any other clothing that I used during that round? I also wasn't sure if the oils would just spread around more, and even spread into the washing machine.

Thanks ahead of time for any helpful thoughts.

I'd wash all your clothing, bag, and shoes using a liberal amount of detergent. I wouldn't worry too much about it "spreading around the washing machine" if you use detergent. That will break down the PI oils effectively.

I'd also use soap and cold water on the discs, just to be certain you've removed all the oils.

When using alcohol, remember that it's good for helping to lift the oil, but doesn't break it down. Rinsing/scrubbing is necessary to actually get the oils off instead of just moving them around. I've never had the oils still be on clothing after a trip through the washing machine, and I'm really sensitive to it.

If I know I or my discs have been in or near poison oak, I fill the tub with hot water and dawn dish washing liquid and dump the discs in. Wash and dry all of them and then I drop in the bag. Scrub it inside and out and then let it air dry. Wash all clothes, shoes, socks as normal and that should take care of it............
If it came in contact or could have, wash it. Period......

While it's important to remove the oils (urushiol) from clothing and gear, it doesn't bind to most stuff like it does to your skin. That's why you can wash it off of stuff with detergent, but soaps/detergents won't remove it from your skin once it binds.

As already mentioned, a really good washing with a healthy dose of detergent will take care of clothes, bedding, anything else you can stick in a washing mashine (possibly your bag... my Cabela bag came out fine).

Discs - a good scrubbing with soapy water seems to work.

People on the other hand: Tecnue, Zanfel, alchohol.
Once you have it, I don't recall how long you're able to transfer the oil onto things you touch, but I do know you can transfer it onto your bedding. :(

Pets: dunno :\ ....I'd treat 'em like peeople to be safe.

Last edited:
This is a great resource. Should it be sticky?

Thanks for the help! Just put my bag, straps, and shoes in the washing machine. They are on the porch now drying. I'll scrub all of my discs next. Hope this takes care of it.

I bought a large bottle of Tecnu several years ago. Every time my disc goes into P.O. I pull it out with a towel and leave it wrapped up in the towel until I get to a water spigot. Then I rinse my arms and the disc. I used to get P.O. 1-2 times a year. Since, I've found my method, I haven't had it since.

zenbot<------gets P.O. at this weekend's tourney

Also, I find it really helpful to turn clothing inside out when I take it off after coming in contact with poison oak/ivy. I've managed to wash it off my skin and avoid the rash, then end up in trouble when I go to put those clothes in the washer. The oils come out of clothes pretty easily, but if they're just sitting the oil will still be there even after a couple weeks.

I swear shoelaces are like wicks for PO/I.
And don't forget to wipe your steering wheel, shifter, blinkers, door handles,........

Anybody ever hear of drinking goats milk from a goat that eats PO? To try to build up a resistance? I'm not trying it. :nono:

Anybody ever hear of drinking goats milk from a goat that eats PO? To try to build up a resistance? I'm not trying it. :nono:

Yeah, I guess that'd require a strongtit. :| :|

I got poison ivy so much as a kid from playing in the woods everyday. I eventually became immune to it. My 9 year old son is also immune to it, I know because all he wears is sandals discing.

I grew up as a wrestler, and was also a collegiate wrestler. We use a product call Ken Shield (made by Cliff Keen) that is used for wrestlers to keep individuals from getting nasty funk from the mats such as ringworm and impetigo.... but this cream also serves as a magic poison ivy barrier as well.

A canister of Ken Shield foam runs around $15, but it'll last a long time. It really is a great way to keep yourself from getting Poison Ivy/Oak, etc...

Here's an interesting video on removing poison ivy/oak/sumac oils from the skin, as presented by a guy with a PhD in a related field.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, basically he says there's very little difference between the soap being used to clean the oils off: Dawn dishsoap works about as well as the expensive Tecnu. He does not test Zanfel, but I'd assume it'd fall into the same general efficiency realm as Tecnu, just from personal experience.

The key to successful oil removal is using a washcloth to create friction and wipe clean the oils after using soap and water (always use cold water).

Very simple, and lines up with my experiences as well...typically if I do a field scrubdown using Zanfel (without soap or a washcloth) and water, I usually still end up with a bit of a reaction (much much reduced from what I'd get if I did nothing).

But every time I've been able to get a shower and do a real good scrubdown with a wash cloth, I've been fine with no reaction.

Which backs up, albeit with anecdotal evidence, what the video purports.

Just thought I'd share it. :)

Last edited:
Here's an interesting video on removing poison ivy/oak/sumac oils from the skin, as presented by a guy with a PhD in a related field.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, basically he says there's very little difference between the soap being used to clean the oils off: Dawn dishsoap works about as well as the expensive Tecnu. He does not test Zanfel, but I'd assume it'd fall into the same general efficiency realm as Tecnu, just from personal experience.

The key to successful oil removal is using a washcloth to create friction and wipe clean the oils after using soap and water (always use cold water).

Very simple, and lines up with my experiences as well...typically if I do a field scrubdown using Zanfel (without soap or a washcloth) and water, I usually still end up with a bit of a reaction (much much reduced from what I'd get if I did nothing).

But every time I've been able to get a shower and do a real good scrubdown with a wash cloth, I've been fine with no reaction.

Excellent video. Someone posted it on DGCR a couple of years ago, but it's well worth posting again.

A good scrubbing with a washcloth using Dawn or Ajax dish soap works well. Try do do it ASAP after exposure so the urushiol first fully bind to your skin.

Once that happens, you're buggered.

Excellent video. Someone posted it on DGCR a couple of years ago, but it's well worth posting again.

A good scrubbing with a washcloth using Dawn or Ajax dish soap works well. Try do do it ASAP after exposure so the urushiol first fully bind to your skin.

Sorry for the repeat. Didn't see it first go around.

Was having probs with search finding the relevant thread at all, let alone being able to peruse them to see which might be best to post (or to see if it had been posted already). :)

It's all good. Poison ivy's mentioned in a bunch of different threads. I probably couldn't find that clip here if I wanted to.

Your post puts it in front of a bunch of eyes who may not have seen it before. :thmbup:

Latest posts