• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Ivy (not the movie)

Stick to the safe sounding remedies.
You mean you don't personally endorse the consumption of a Poison Oak, Ivy and Sumac salad with urushiol & balsamic dressing? :rolleyes:

So much for my going vegan... :(

I got it again last week. Not sure exactly how, but I woke up Thursday morning with little blisters starting between my fingers. They were everywhere. I went to the Doctor that afternoon. They put me on 40mg per day of Apo-Prednisone for a 5 day run. Blisters were gone the next day. Every other little blister or rash healed immediately as well.

Prednisone is not easy on the body, but it was necessary in this case. I couldn't bear the thought of 3 weeks of weeping fingers.

Avoid sodium on the juice. It makes you retain lots of water.

Prednisone is some nasty stuff, but it works. I had some nerve issues in my neck, and after a week of that, my neck felt better, but the rest of me felt like holy hell. It puts a major whoopin' on your system, that's for sure.

Also be aware that you might get a poison ivy rash from contact with your pets or your clothes. The strangest case of it I've ever had kept appearing on my hands a little worse every morning, gradually diminshing through the day, and then worse again every morning when I woke up. The first time it happened, I couldn't figure out what was causing it, and thought maybe I had mosquitos in my bedroom, or God forbid, bedbugs. Eventually I realized I had gotten urishiol in my bed sheets, and changing the sheets cured the problem. It happened at least once or twice more to me, and changing the sheets worked every time. So even if you don't actually get it on your skin when you go discing or hiking, you might get it on your clothes, and then get it from surface contact with something else. This time of year I mostly play disc golf in light weight long pants, since my local course grows a lot of poison ivy every year. That combined with showering when I get home has kept me mostly urishiol free in recent years. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :thmbup:

Also be aware that you might get a poison ivy rash from contact with your pets or your clothes. The strangest case of it I've ever had kept appearing on my hands a little worse every morning, gradually diminshing through the day, and then worse again every morning when I woke up. The first time it happened, I couldn't figure out what was causing it, and thought maybe I had mosquitos in my bedroom, or God forbid, bedbugs. Eventually I realized I had gotten urishiol in my bed sheets, and changing the sheets cured the problem. It happened at least once or twice more to me, and changing the sheets worked every time. So even if you don't actually get it on your skin when you go discing or hiking, you might get it on your clothes, and then get it from surface contact with something else. This time of year I mostly play disc golf in light weight long pants, since my local course grows a lot of poison ivy every year. That combined with showering when I get home has kept me mostly urishiol free in recent years. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :thmbup:

Yup, very common to spread the oil to the front side of your cars drivers seat, usually from the back of your own legs. Then to keep getting it over and over.

as a naturalist who is around it a lot, I agree that washing thoroughly goes a LONG way in preventing issues. many courses in my area are full of poison ivy and I walk and reach into it all the time. take a ziploc bag with a damp cloth and soap and you'll prevent a lot of problems when you get back to your car.....

Worth a bump...

Good stuff, Bogey. I have taken to carrying a personal size dish washing liquid, I get at hotels with kitchenettes, thick cloth like napkins in a zip lock bag. A bit of drinking water and I have a mobile washing station after rounds.
Now the problem is diligence after casual rounds with a couple ginger ales. :doh:

I am just getting over my first bout with poison ivy. Not a fan.
I'll probably be scrubbing down after rounds now.

I get poison ivy pretty badly. When I get an annoying case of it, I scratch it all over and pour bleach on it. 5 minutes of stinging is a pretty good trade for 3 days of itching. People say that will leave scars, but I've never had a problem with it.

I got it bad last year on my legs looking in deep scrub for a disc I had just bought the week before, on a course known for it's poison ivy lying in wait in the rough areas (aside from that it's a great course). Luckily for me I have a couple of tubes of a prescription steroidal ointment called Clobetasol. It was prescribed for me due to a hectic form of eczema I have which occurs only in the evening and affects my hands and feet. Ointment didn't do squat for the living hell of the itch on my feet and hands but it did a nice job clearing up my bad poison ivy rash within 2 weeks. That's why it could be 90 degrees out and you will never find me out on the course in shorts ever again.

I would try swabbing the area affected with poison ivy generously with Witch Hazel. That should help alleviate the itch to a great extent. If the first swabbing of Witch Hazel doesn't work satisfactorily do another. Witch Hazel is fairly inexpensive and you don't need some brand name, a store brand will do. I used to do this with my eczema when I first came down with it as I was willing to try anything. The Witch Hazel was the only thing that helped alleviate my tremendous itching on the feet and hands at bedtime. Give it a try next time you get poison ivy. BTW: Witch Hazel is also odorless unlike bleach or other astringents.

Latest posts