• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

poison ivy

I developed a reaction a few weeks ago after being "immune" all of my life. (I literally used to be able to roll around in the stuff as a child). Proof that allergies can develop at any time. The tecnu stuff, while expensive, does work very well and clears it up completely in just a few days. Calamine lotion will expedite the process.

Just to dissuade some of the misinformation, NOBODY is immune to poison ivy. You just haven't had your first major outbreak yet. You also don't develop an immunity, you just develop tolerance with respect to the amount of itching you'll endure before you start bitching to your wife/girlfriend/mom. Getting the steroid shot after your first outbreak of the season will help with the remainder of the season as well as it jacks up the immune system and helps fight off the reaction.

Cold water, soap and if you're really paranoid (like me) rubbing alcohol all help break up the oil and wash it off while minimizing the likelihood of absorbency. DON'T use a washcloth while cleaning as it can spread the oil rather than wash it away. Washing discs, bags, shoes, etc. after exposure (or presumed exposure) will help keep from future "contamination" outbreaks from the same initial exposure. The oil is resilient and can hang around for years. Wash your stuff in soapy water and dry completely.

Prevention and awareness are the only 100% guaranteed tools, unfortunately. In the event of a serious outbreak (red inflamed skin, open/weeping sores, etc.) consult your physician.

Haven't ever used Tecnu, but I've used Zanfel and it works for me.

At one point, I read the oils absorb into the skin at 3 seconds. Plenty of time...
Just glad it doesn't bother me.

They were interviewing a scientist from the Forest Service the other day on NPR... He said 8 minutes. Either way... it would be hard to take a shower in either 3 seconds or 8 minutes if you were at the course.

I don't really get it... so I'm not worried.
DSCJNKY

I am on my second round of Poison Ivy this year. first time it was soo bad I went to the med center... Funny thing the doctor plays disc golf and plays at the saem park as me(Fallasburg Park)

I developed a reaction a few weeks ago after being "immune" all of my life. (I literally used to be able to roll around in the stuff as a child). Proof that allergies can develop at any time. The tecnu stuff, while expensive, does work very well and clears it up completely in just a few days. Calamine lotion will expedite the process.

tecnu is only 7 bucks a bottle by my house...how much are you paying for it?

I still will develop a bump or two each year but it doesn't spread or get into my blood system like it used to. What used to be a medical issue with me is now less irritating than a paper cut.

Since you are in PA there is something called "water weed" that grows all over the place. It has a hollow stem and is about 0.5 inches to 0.75 inches in diameter. It has chambers in the stem kinda like bamboo does. It also has large green leaves. This stuff is AMAZING! Fold the stem together and squeeze it like you are ringing out a wet towel. The liquid that comes out will destroy poisen ivy

Actually the plant your are referring to is Jewelweed. It grows along streams and wetland areas and is actually fairly common from the midwest all the way east. . . West SOL! (i think?) The sap/juice in jewelweed is used in alot of soaps and sprays for reducing skin irritations. All in all, I have not tried using it as such since I don't get poison. I think I have built up a tolerance by working in it over the years. My buddy who is a surveyor stands by that Techu MAX. He actually puts it a preventive application before he gets into the poison, then when he is done his work in it, he takes a wet cloth and wipes down. Then after work he goes home and showers.

I've gotten struck with poison ivy weeks after the fact. The oils were on my bag from a different course and I touched the bottom of my bag and had it on my hands. I thought I was immune to it, but it was not the case. I have a Jack Russell and he is low to the ground and I've gotten it from him as well. Has anyone gotten poison ivy from their discs? I think that happen to me last season, I threw into a patch, and then had it on my hand, which spread to other parts of my body. Poison ivy is no fun. :thmbdown:

Biz
Team Bert

YES.....All of the above.
I used to get it sooo bad as a kid that it was an immediate trip to the doctor for a shot to get rid of it and calm the itching.
I've had more that my fair share of it, from heaad to toe and , yes, everywhere i between ;)
NO FUN AT ALL :thmbdown:

Haven't had poison ivy since I was a little kid. I'm not sure if it just doesn't affect me, or if I do a good enough job avoiding it.

I did brush my hand up against a fairly nasty looking patch this summer, but I used a wet wipe from my bag to clean it off and was fine.

As a kid I would get poison ivy and I would need shots because I would get it so bad. I've also done many of the dose packs in my life to get rid of it. After years of playing disc golf I hardly even notice it. I just get into it and throw my shot. I have always assumed that you can develop an immunity over time. Jump in it and roll around.

Agree 100%...
I think I've just had it sooo much as a kid.
I still get it, but, not nearly as bad as it used to be.
I don't miss that a bit

i'm scratching two very red patches on my legs right now as i type this from poison something, so to all of you whom it doesn't bother, eff off.

/need to get some kickback money from the person who's disc i was helping to find, that's how i got it.
//the 3 spider bites i got in the same trip have gone down though

The oil from poison ivy is only released when the leaves have been damaged, so if you brush up against poison ivy that has not been damaged then you will not get a rash unless you damage the plant in that process. The oil often turns black on the leaves which is something to look out for.

Some of the PI rash pics here are amazing:

http://www.poison-ivy.org/rash/index.htm

Yummy!

I knew a guy who went deepwoods camping in northern Wisconsin who came home with "The Mother of All Rashes" type blisters up and down his lower legs. One blister was almost the size of a frickin' baseball. He ended up missing something like a week and a half of work because he could hardly move, let alone wear pants.

no i work for a battery manufacturer,woodcutter reverts to a hobby, i have a wood shop in my basment i make jewelery boxes, small cabenets ,pic frames etc,,,

I'm a woodworking hobbyist a well. I am fairly new into the hobby, but I'm learning fast and really enjoy it. One of these days I will try my hand at crafting my own disc.

I just got poison ivy for the first time in my life on my legs. I also got stung by 2 bees at the same time before my friend noticed his disc wasn't even in the rough :/

I've been using cortisone cream and it does a good job of stopping the itch.

Cortisone cream alone won't dry out the rash though. Go with something like Caladryl or a scrub like Technu/Zanfel to start. Try Burow's solution as well.

Ivarest works good its a stronger version of calamine lotion. I also take baking soda and water and make a paste and then put it on the rash and then let it sit there for about a half hour it helps dry it out and relieves the itch too.

"I don't know how she did it, but Rachel got poison ivy on her brain. The only way she could scratch it was if she thought about sandpaper."
--Steven Wright​