• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Ivy: my disc golf enemy

supposedly. i can not say for sure. i have never had poison sumac but it is supposed to be effective on all rhus family toxins (poison sumac/ivy/oak etc).

Just curious as I don't think jewelweed is common in the NW but I imagine a comparable family member may be.
You suggest that it is an effective treatment for the RASH but does it also work as a preventative? I need a preventative. I have heard about old logger remedies that became outlawed because they couldn't be FDA approved but i haven't found that concoction revealed. I have also heard that having a goat eat the weed and then milking the goat and drinking the milk will build a resistance but i'm not that brave.
I have learned to deal with and avoid the consequences of exposure but I inevitably will be plagued through the year with the evil P.Oak.

It's kinda like controlling road rage when I get infected with the stuff. It requires zen-like control and is a great lesson in tolerance.

I don't think I have ever had poison ivy. Best way to prevent it is to wear long songs and have something to wipe off the areas that have been exposed to the plants oils...

Oh wait... I have had poison ivy...
IMG00036-20110519-1827.jpg

Yeah... you saw this coming.

this is awesome . . .i am super allergic to poison ivy . . .and the course I play a lot has tons of jewelweed!!!

hmmm i'm not sure about a related plant that has the same effect. i'll look into it though. as for a preventative yes and no. it won't work like sunscreen, meaning that you can't put it on and go running through poison ivy. however, if you notice that you are knee deep in the bad stuff it will keep you from having a reaction if applied in time and in the right spot. the problem is that the oil is absorbed pretty quickly by your skin (10-15 min). it will work but it's a crap shoot as far as getting it in time.

i don't have any personal experience with the flora of the NW but i work with people who are from the area so i'll ask around and do some research myself and get back to you.

Just curious as I don't think jewelweed is common in the NW but I imagine a comparable family member may be.
You suggest that it is an effective treatment for the RASH but does it also work as a preventative? I need a preventative. I have heard about old logger remedies that became outlawed because they couldn't be FDA approved but i haven't found that concoction revealed. I have also heard that having a goat eat the weed and then milking the goat and drinking the milk will build a resistance but i'm not that brave.
I have learned to deal with and avoid the consequences of exposure but I inevitably will be plagued through the year with the evil P.Oak.

It's kinda like controlling road rage when I get infected with the stuff. It requires zen-like control and is a great lesson in tolerance.

looks like you are in luck. here is a map of the north american range for jewelweed.
Impatiens_capensis_map.png

i've never had poison ivy, but i can't confirm i've ever been exposed to it. i spend ALOT of time outdoors so i find it hard to believe i haven't, if i ever find some i might be interested in touching some just to see if i'm immune. maybe.

but also i don't think i've ever seen any jewel weed up in MN. but i've never really looked for it
EDIT: didn't see the map, but just because it can be found somewhere doesn't mean its common

Thanks shanko,
I have many field guides for this area though i am not familiar with jewelweed (perhaps vaguely). I will do some of my own research and try to identify JW near me. The scientific name is helpful.

Latest posts