• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Ivy: my disc golf enemy

shankopotomus

Bogey Member
i'm sure that i'm not the only one who has trouble with poison ivy on the course. here in rural illinois it is every where. i am always amazed that most don't know that you can cure your poison ivy for free if you know what to look for.

there is a very common plant called touch-me-nots (aka jewel weed. aka Impatiens capensis) that studies have shown to be far more effective in dealing with poison ivy rashes (or any Rhus family toxic plants. poison oak, poison sumac etc) than conventional treatments. the plant conveniently grows in the similar habitats as poison ivy. the saying is "where ever you find poison ivy you will find jewel weed."

the trick is being able to identify it.

be sure that you have the right plant! the leaves of juvenile jewelweed look very similar to poison ivy. when you look at the leaves together the difference seems clear however when you don't have another specimen to compare to it can be more difficult. once you get a good eye for it you can see it a mile away though.

poison ivy
poison-ivy.jpg

jewelweed
Impatiens_capensis_leaves.jpg

notice how the serrations (saw toothed edges) go from heel to tip in a uniform pattern while on the poison ivy the serrations are asymmetrical and only stretch from the heel to middle of the blade. also poison ivy is a compound leaved plant with leaves in threes while jewelweed is simple leaved with singe leaves.

jewel weed can be found in low lying, forested areas especially in damp soils around streams. it does not like direct sunlight so you may need to venture into the woods a little. the mature plant stands about 2-5 feet tall and they tend to occur in dense communities. if you find one, then another wont be far. the stems of jewel weed are very distinct. they are succulent stems and seem disproportionally large for the size of the plant. the stems are light green and semi translucent. the flowers are strange shaped and very distinct also (if you want to attract hummingbirds to your garden these are the way to go).

side view of flower
1501-004-9554DE2F.jpg

front view
impyel.jpg

to use the plant for poison ivy purposes is very easy. in the field all you have to do is crunch up the stem and rub the sap on the effected area. what i do is take the whole thing, leaves and all, mash it up and roll it between my hands and roll the mashed up plant on my skin.

another way is to pick as many plants as you can carry (they are very weakly rooted so if you grab the stem you should be able to uproot it with very little effort). snap off the lowest part of the stem to get rid of the dirt and roots. try to keep the plant as intact as possible. every crack in the plant will lose valuable sap. as soon as possible get it into a large soup pan filled with water. as you add the plant try to break it up as much as you can with out losing too much sap. bring the pot to boil for about 30min. every five or ten minuets take a potato masher to it and break it up as much as possible. when you're done it should look like overcooked spinach and the broth should look like orange gatorade or koolaid. strain out the plant material and put the broth in icecube trays and then into the freezer. they will keep for ever and when ever you get poison ivy (which for me is all the fracken time) just pop out a cube and rub it on the affected area a few times a day. after a few days you should be free and clear.

nature ftw

until someone mistakes poison ivy for jewelweed and rubs it all over their legs and arms.

it's really easy to tell the difference if once you know what to look for. most people don't even know what PI looks like let alone jewelweed. i can't tell you how many times i have seen people looking for discs and just wading through giant obvious patches of PI and not even know it.

the juvenile jewelweed plants are the only ones that you can mistake. once they have get big they are obvious. just look for the big orange flowers. can't miss it.

So dumb question. Will they have flowers 100% of the time when they are 2-2.5ft tall?

well there is no 100% in nature. there is no uniformity. but all adult plants should start flowering in may. if you are not sure concentrate looking at the serrations and the distinctive stem you can identify it. if you pick the plant it will pop out of the soil amazingly easily, like it was just sitting on top of the soil not rooted in it. if it feels like you have to tug to get it out then you probably got the wrong plant.

even if it is PI just carry a water bottle with you. water will neutralize the oil if you get it within 10-15 min of exposure.

what i did when i was in school and still learning how to ID plants was to load pics on my phone (in this case a few of PI and a few of jewelweed) and if i was not sure then i would check my phone. now the whole time i am on the course i am trying to id every tree and plant i see just out of habit. if i find something i don't know i grab a few leaves and look it up when i get home lol. but i'm a bio nerd so....

I'm not very sensitive to poison ivy, but my fiancee is, so she'll appreciate this information. She's also a bio nerd, herself, so she'll enjoy the hunt. Thanks.

glad i could help.

one more thing to help id this plant. the stem is broad but mostly hollow and thin walled. if you squeeze it between your fingers it should crunch flat easily and kind of feel like very thin celery if that makes any sense

Last edited:
not allergic hahahaha!

I never broke out in a rash from poison ivy until last year. I have been around it all my life playing outdoor sports. If I were you, I would still treat it as if you were allergic to it. At least, I would if I could go back in time.

Edit: BTW, I can't float either.

Not only am I not allergic to poison Ivy or Oak A few weeks ago I was reaching in some weeds to get a stray disc later when I met a new guy on the course he shook my hand and about an hour later a nasty rash all the way up his arm was starting to blister and he had to go home.

I can't totally confirm the poison Ivy came off of me but it started just a few minutes after I shook his hand. I felt real bad about it, but what can you do.

Probably not poison ivy if it showed up that quickly. Maybe stinging nettles or something like that.

lol about 8 years ago my friends and i where playing some safari dg at a local forest preserve. my disc must have landed in some PI at some point and the urushiol must have gotten on my hand. well it was a hot day so at some point i wiped the sweat from my brow and at some point i must have wiped my mouth because the next day i woke up with a "unibrow" of poison ivy and a "frown" of poison ivy. yea that's right. i had to go around for a week looking like "Jo-Jo the Herpes Clown." not too popular with the ladies that weekend.